Quote Originally Posted by rax View Post
Re diplomacy, what's to stop them simply capturing the lot of us and offering us as sacrifices to the wyvern? There's a lot more of them than us, and it's not unlikely that they'll prefer not to look a gift sacrifice in the mouth rather than take a chance of us actually killing the wyvern.
Capturing us will require them to make a lot of sacrifices of their own. There's a reason why they choose to prey on the weak, such as isolated farmsteads or teenage girls who stray from the party's campsite. We know for a fact that they ran away from a dog, because that was more resistance than they expected to face.

Also, they're goblins - even if the scenario plays out as hoped, there's a decent chance they'll turn on us as soon as the wyvern is dead.
That's true. But if they fear the wyvern too much to kill it themselves, and we're the ones who kill it, they'll fear us even more than they feared the wyvern.

1. We're heavily outnumbered - they have a very strong chance of cutting off any escape route we plan on using.
The geography is advantageous to us. We can approach them without getting surrounded too easily.

If we manage to get away - with or without hostages - they can just come after us.
They can. But why would they? To sacrifice us to the wyvern? Put together, we have maybe about as much meat on us as two cows, and two cows are a hell of a lot easier to capture than us.

You're thinking in video game terms, where enemies keep fearlessly coming at you no matter how many you kill or how little they stand to gain from killing you.

Quote Originally Posted by LeSwordfish View Post
In addition, there are so many tracks i suspect the camp may mostly empty itself out come nightfall, as everyone goes off raiding and leaves some guards behind.
A possibility, yes. At the very least, a stakeout will help us gather more information before we commit to any course of action.

I know most of you are skeptical about diplomacy, but I think infiltration or an attack (even with the advantage of surprise) have exactly zero chances of success. They're on their home turf, and they vastly outnumber us.