Quote Originally Posted by H_H_F_F View Post
Is this enough evidence for not knowing his name? Because if so, there are plenty of data showing that she later does.
Well, she talked about him over and over without throwing his name in, so I think we can assume that she didn't know his name, yes. Your question.

If I ask you to show me Durkon casting a spell with variable effects depending on character level (holy word), would that not be a legitimate question? Even though we clearly see the effect, and it is communicated as such, the lack of explicit mention in the text of HD makes it wrong to ask? Perhaps. I think that was the logic my track question relied on, and maybe that's out of bounds too.
I would not be able to infer that from the strip. I always assumed it meant that it does bad things to Evil creatures depending on type (which is why only Sabine got banished) but Tarquin made his save. Unless there's another strip you have in mind.

But to me, there's still a difference between "not asking about the 3.5 layer of the story" and "ignoring the 3.5 layer of the story". Pricing of magic items is just part of that layer. Like, I don't know, reach. We know (from the text) the half ogre with the spiked chain from strip 216 has a reach of 15 ft. If someone was to ask "show me a strip with a weapon we know the reach of, and a weapon we don't", 216 wouldn't be a valid answer, even though the text doesn't explicitly tell us roy's sword has a normal medium melee 5 ft reach.
I think it would be an okay question, other than perhaps the implication that we'd need to link all other strips to prove we don't know a greatclub's reach. Which, to be fair, counts against my question too, but I tried to make it clear it was only for the purposes of that strip. Find me a strip in which we learn the reach of one weapon but that of another involved is not mentioned. Would work. Not the current question!

If we play the trivia hardcore RAW we'll end up in situations where someone asks to link three strips where Roy does X and then when the answer is given and accepted, someone else points out that in none of those strips was this mysterious bald dark-skinned fighter actually called Roy and so we cannot say unambiguously that this is correct and we'd need a fourth strip that names him. Or that to show that B happened after A chronologically, we need to link every strip after A (and after B) to prove there was no time travel plot twist. The game wouldn't be fun for anyone without flexible rules and assumptions about strip/real-world knowledge, including D&D rules. I just think you went a little far in these two cases. I still don't know what ACF means, even though I've put plenty of hours into D&D CRPGs (though mostly 2E).