Quote Originally Posted by Frozenstep View Post
What kind of armors are there in the 20~40 pound (9-18 kg) range? Basically, I'm brainstorming ideas for "medium" armor, because in the setting I'm writing, some magics have their intensity scale inversely with the user's weight, particularly weight that is worn/carried rather then body weight. I've looked into stuff like "partial plate armor" setups, but could use more ideas. Looking for non-modern examples, I guess.
It turns out this is roughly the amount of weight you can hang on the body of a person and expect them to be able to still consistently move and physically exert themselves for relatively long periods of time. If your armor is lighter than that, you probably start adding more of it for better protection. If it's heavier than that, the prospective wearers start ditching it because it starts seeming more worthwhile to risk being injured than to deal with transporting and wearing it. So.. in a very, very broad and probably useless sense.. the answer is 'all of them.' If you can make armor, the kit probably ends up being somewhere in that range. Maybe a bit heavier in total if you have good tech for distributing weight and are accounting for an entire suit of arms/hand/leg/foot pieces, less if you end up hanging it all off the shoulders or only have coverage on torso and maybe shoulders/upper arms/hips/thighs and are leaving the lower extremities uncovered or counting on a shield.