Quote Originally Posted by Zevox View Post
If they do that, they should really try to make backgrounds actually matter next time, because as-is all they seem to do is determine half of your skills and when you gain inspiration. I admittedly was a bit disappointed that, despite my first character getting plenty of unique dialogue because she was a Cleric of Selūne, the game never reacted to the fact that she was a Noble. As a Baldurian, that should mean she's form a Patriar family, but that never came up, even once you got to Baldur's Gate itself. I get that they've already created an absurd amount of unique dialogue for various situations of various kinds and this is just another layer on top of that, but it kind of sticks out, particularly with a background like that.
I mean to be fair - "Noble" could mean you were a noble somewhere else who merely happened to travel to Baldur's Gate at some point, rather than a Patriar of the city. Conversely, you can be a very high-up Noble in the city itself but not have that background at all (cf Wyll, whose father wasn't merely a Patriar, he was on the Council of Four.)

IMO - either they should have a specific meaning for each background (e.g. "Noble" = "You are specifically a Patriar of the City, and you have X and Y relationships/ties that come up in conversation beyond just your generic breeding and education) - or they shouldn't tie conversation options to backgrounds at all, and just focus on skills, class and species. Either route removes all ambiguity.