Quote Originally Posted by Lemmy View Post
There's no "vocal sentiment" about the cast, the characters or the movie. Quite the opposite, actually. It's apathy.
I find that dubious when so many folks trip over themselves to both announce their so-called apathy as well as victory lap the movie's failure. For me, true apathy is more like the Blue Beetle film, a collective shrug followed by very few headlines or posts at all.

Quote Originally Posted by warty goblin View Post
I think it really must be said that Endgame was, for a lot of people, a very natural endpoint. Most of the major characters have their stories wrap up, the universal threat is defeated, it feels like the end of the story.

So you need to do a bit of work to keep the story going. Not a vast amount, it's very popular and people like more of what they already like. But if you're going to keep the story going, it needs to have some momentum, a sense of going somewhere. There's been 11 MCU movies since Endgame. Coincidentally, that gets you from Iron Man through Avengers 2. Has anything like the same narrative progression and momentum happened?

No. The actual main characters aren't established, the narrative momentum has shriveled up, the continuity problems and loose ends are multiplying like Tribbles, and the entire cosmology of a story that theoretically has cosmic stakes seems like it changes on a whim.

At this point fully a third of the entire MCU - excluding TV - is post-Endgame, and seems to be doing less and less with more and more. Why would you keep going?
I do agree they should slow down and rethink the whole "phases" thing. Big overarching narratives and "the next Thanos" don't seem to be panning out in quite the same way, especially since the modern MCU is more dependent on streaming homework than the first three.