1. - Top - End - #174
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: MitD XIX: The Potted Plant Is Starting To Look Reasonable

Quote Originally Posted by Ruck View Post
    I'm sure I've said this many times before, but "Why doesn't Rich draw the MitD in a way that makes it obvious what he is?" is an argument that's easily rebutted by the whole concept of keeping his species a mystery.
    If the Protean's main selling point makes it a poor fit on account of it being
    a. either too difficult to guess becasue it cannot be accurately depicted without spoiling the game; or
    b. too easy to guess if depicted accurately
    that doesn't make pointing that out a poor argument. It makes the Protean a poor fit.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruck View Post
    I don't agree it "really bends" anything. We see two eyes in the dark. We don't know what's going on underneath that.
    We never see anything clearly indicating constant shapeshifting (or even occasional shapeshifting), but we do see things staying constant (rough size, the eyes, having an umbrealla-supporting appendage, having a mouth-equivalent something-something, all with basically unchanging positions…) which tells us that… Constant shapeshifting is going on?

Yeah, I should just stop because we're just rehashing the same things over and over at this point. I just get a little frustrated by arguments that misrepresent the Protean's powers or essentially ask "If the MITD is a Protean, why hasn't Rich shown us the most defining and distinctive characteristic of that species, which he is trying to keep a secret?"
    You're frustrated over people asking "why a creature that is constant shapeshifting incarnate never seem to do that"? I find that baffling, myself. The shapeshifting is the entire reason why the Protean is a better candidate than most other epic bull**** creatures.
    Last edited by Metastachydium; 2023-11-24 at 02:35 PM.