View Single Post

Thread: Neutral/Evil alignment

1. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

Imp

Default Re: Neutral/Evil alignment

Quote Originally Posted by King of Nowhere View Post
    C) hiding among civilians, refusing to evacuate those civilians, or otherwise using them indirectly or directly as human shields is a big NO and reverts the responsibility. if your enemies are shooting from a house and there are civilians in that house, you can fire freely, and whatever happens to the civilians is the enemy's fault
    A soldier who shoot a civilian who's being used as human shield is still held responsible/liable for shooting a civilian.

There's a reason why the enemies taking hostages can stall a military operation for a long time.

Quote Originally Posted by NichG View Post
    So I shouldn't see moving someone towards evil as a way to punish something that I as DM consider a misbehavior. It shouldn't be about 'would I have preferred if you acted differently, from an out-of-character viewpoint?'
    I'm not sure about the rest of your post, but this part I agree with at 100%, and I think it is very important to underline it and explain it to the players if they don't get it.

A PC's alignment shifting toward evil isn't a punishment, nor is a PC's alignment shifting toward good a reward.

Alignments in 5e are descriptors for typical behavior, so a shift is just the description staying accurate to the shift in behavior or becoming more accurate.
    Last edited by Unoriginal; 2024-02-12 at 01:26 PM.