View Single Post

Thread: Rebel Moon final trailer

1. - Top - End - #161
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Rebel Moon final trailer

You're now bait and switching back to the standard definition and use of "directors cut" to justify the more or less once ever case of the "Snyder Cut". I thought we already agreed that Snyder's cut of JL is not at all like normal directors cuts. We're talking about a very different thing here.

And you keep circling back to his daughter's suicide as though that should somehow change my opinion of a film. It does not. His daughters death certainly affected his decision to leave the JL project when he did, but has no bearing on his overal directing style, which is what I'm talking about. It had no bearing on the contents of RM, and no bearing on the contents of his cut of JL. It had no bearing on MoS, nor BvS either, for that matter. I'm talking about the films he makes, not his personal life.
    The Snyder cut of JL was a unique situation. But the director being on board with a different version than the studio released is not.

You raised the question of what was unique about the Snyder cut. Creative differences between the director and the studio is not rare at all. So if therre is something unique about the Snyder cut, that is not it.

I keep bringing up his daughter's suicide for two reasons. First, it's one of the actual unique things that happened to make the Snyder cut a unique situation.

It's unusual. It didn't happen on all his other films. And its rather a big thing to brush off if you're trying to determine the unique things that happened during JL' production, which was a question you raised earlier.

The other reason is that it makes it very hard to believe that he would care enough about fan perspectives in the wake of his daughter's suicide to go to fansites and stoke the flames.

There have already been two links in this thread to articles that specifically referenced Snyder doing exactly what I'm claiming he did. One literally stated that he went to fan sites and "stoked the flames" of their anger. Both talked about him repeatedly showing images of film from his original "vision" of JL. If that's not evidence of him actively working to get his own vision put out for viewer consumption, I'm not sure what would qualify for you.
    Some evidence that he actually was doing that? Those posts should exist, right? They should be findable if it was true. The best one people have is confirming the cut exists in 2019, but that's two years later, long after the Snyder cut movement began.

Again? Or ever? It's just that you don't seem to have any knowledge of the contents of the films we're discussing at all. You've made zero comments about the content of the films. Yet, you continue to make arguments about them anyway.
    You think I'm lying about having seen them? Really?

Per one of the previous links (can't remember which) it cost them $20M to do the Snyder Cut. Per 2 minutes on google, there was no box office, and total video sales look to be somewhere just south of $14M.
    Your own link is domestic sales of physical media in the US, counting only people who bought a physical DVD and Blu-ray in the US. It doesn't count anyone who streamed it, or anyone at all outside the US.

From Wikipedia

Quote Originally Posted by wiki
    In Canada, the film became the most-streamed content of all time on Crave, with 1.1 million viewers in one week.[219] It also allegedly led to the service growing in subscribers by 12%.[220] In the United Kingdom, where it is streaming via Sky Cinema, the film was viewed by 954,000 households, with 458,000 (48%) watching it in its entirety.[221] In India, where it was released on BookMyShow Stream, about 100,000 homes watched the film in its first weekend.[222] The film went on to become the most rented film of 2021 on that service.[223] In Spain, the film became the 3rd most viewed release of 2021 on HBO Max EspaƱa.[224] It also became the fourth-most viewed release of 2021 and the most-viewed film on HBO Max Nordic.[225] In Germany, it ranked first during its first full week of release on Netflix[226] and spent seven weeks in its weekly rankings for top 10 most-viewed films.[227]

At the 2021 WarnerMedia Upfront, Warner Media declared the film was "a hit" Max original.[228] Priya Dogra, president of WarnerMedia Entertainment Networks for Europe, the Middle East, Africa and Asia-Pacific stated the film to be a "global phenomenon" during a presentation for HBO Max Europe.[229] According to Whip Media, who track viewership data for the 19 million worldwide users of their TV Time app, the film was the eighth most-streamed-film of 2021.[230] In January 2022, tech firm Akami reported that the film was the second most pirated film of 2021.[231] Variety stated that the film was the fourth most-streamed film of 2021.[232]
    I'm not arguing about whether the Studio was right or wrong to produce this, nor whether some folks may enjoy it or not. I'm talking about my assessment of Snyder's directing style and how it relates to the degree of control he has over the projects he's directing.

Quote Originally Posted by Sapphire Guard View Post
    With Rebel Moon it's even simpler, if you already have a Netflix subscription, it costs you literally nothing to choose to check it out or not. If you don't want to watch it, fine. If some people do, also fine. There's no reason to object to its existence in itself.
    Sure... But I think we have a right to discuss the film, and what we liked and didn't like about it. Saying "if you don't like it don't watch it" kinda sidesteps the entire process.
    Everyone has a right to discuss any film, but the idea that an additonal director's cut is somehow bad or shouldn't exist is rather strange. Critiquing an extended cut of Rebel Moon that isn't out yet based on the fact that it exists seems like a weak critique to me.

How do you know how much control he does or doesn't have? You said you really liked Sucker Punch, which he directed, co -wrote with Steve Shibuya and co-produced with his wife.

These are big claims that don't seem to be based on anything true.

He was stoking the flames of the fanbase, although we don't know how, where, or when, but we can 'speculate' that it happened.

Zack can't make short films, if you ignore his short films.

When Zack has too much control, you don't tend to like it. It's very difficult to tell how much control someone has. You said you liked Sucker Punch, though how much control do you think he had over that? He directed, co -wrote with Steve Shibuya and co-produced it with his wife.
    Last edited by Sapphire Guard; 2024-02-16 at 09:18 PM.