1. - Top - End - #214
    Ogre in the Playground

Devil

Default Re: Tzardok's Miscellaneous Homebrew Repository

Finally got around to this.

Quote Originally Posted by Beni-Kujaku View Post
    This is your personal unfinished business! You cannot abandon this thread until you've implemented them. And I'll make daaaaaamn sure this thread isn't abandoned. Hehehehe.... Hahahahaha!!!
    I'll take that as both a compliment that my work is worth keeping around and as a promise that you'll give me your motivation and inspiration when I need it.

Maybe say "as by Time Hop" to explicitate "disappears". Otherwise nice. A potion of ML 10 Time Hop (or the psionic equivalent) would be 1,500 gp, but potions are very overpriced and it's not a buff spell, so 750 gp seems ok. I don't think I would buy it with a character, but that applies to 95% of official items.
    Added in.

It's called a move action, not a movement action.
    Sorry. Another germanism on my part (a move action is called a Bewegungsaktion in German, which translates as, well, movement action). Fixed.

An item requiring Contingency should be at least CL 11.
    Should it? I had the impression that when a magic item has a spell as a requirement, but doesn't actually cast it, it's not bound to minimum caster levels.

Wouldn't Contingency mean you could activate it as an immediate action, maybe for 1800gp or smth?
    Good point. I was thinking about making it immediate, but then I felt that move action was a bit more true to the source material. Should I remove Contingency or change it to Immediate? ... I'll split the difference and do both.

Cape of the Mountebank, but 3/day and you can act, but you have to be unobserved. I'd say it should explicitly take up a body slot or be more expensive, maybe around 33k?
    Price increased.

Wow. This one's a doozy. Does it work on things that say they work a number of times per day? Does it work on things that do not explicitly require charges, but stop working after a certain number of uses? Can I use one charge from the Lead and two from my staff to cast a spell that requires three charges? It's quite a versatile and powerful item even if you limit it to wands and staves, but it becomes broken if it can apply to something like a Ring of Three Wishes. I'd say 50k is a better first price, or even higher depending on the specifics.
    Fun items with charges that weren't supposed to be reuseable : Ring of Nine Lives, Golden Chalice of Lathander, Quaal's Cloak. I thought there'd be more broken ones, but staves are already quite good for it.
    I was originally thinking about allowing it for all kinds of items, even those that don't explicitely mention charges, and just let people have all the delicious brokenness that could happen. Then you mentioned the Ring of Three Wishes...
    So yeah, the word "charge" does actually have to be used (would the phrasing need to be changed?). I'm not sure what to do with combining the item's and the lead's charges.
    An Utterance is much better at calling something than summoning them (like Conjunctive Gate). Talking to the universe either changes targetted things or creates targetted things, but creating a temporary animated copy of a planar creature you don't actually target is a weird use. I'd say it would be a Perfected Map utterance. You target a terrain so that it attracts the essence of a creature that was there a long time ago, with no actual control over what the summoned creature is. That or an Evolving Mind, but it would actually attract a kind of creature under a specific CR ("I target a bugbear") and you'd have to barter with it, Planar Binding-style. Speaking a Personal Truename would allow to teleport a specific creature to you instead. The reverse would be an Antipathy effect preventing the specific kind of creature from approaching you. I haven't actually seen any similar homebrew either.
    Hmmm... Let's see if I can do something with that...
    Another odd one. PCs don't usually have several of anything except money (and arrows for archers), and using money is generally in safe zones, so the odd-one-out will generally not do much. There is no indication of how much harm it does (how much damage?) or if Remove Curse could help identifying it. The mechanics are wonky, and I'm not sure how to price it.
    In short, I shouldn't have skimped on the paragraph with the examples?

I tried to clarify a bit how I imagine it works:

Odd-One-Out: An odd-one-out is a cursed item, designed to bring misfortune over its owner. Though it tends to look like a counterfeit coin or a marked card when separated from other items, this shapechanging item takes on the appearance of any item of which its current bearer carries multiple (at least three) and inserts itself into the bundle (it even copies the aura of those items, appearing magical or mundane as needed). At an inopportune moment, the bearer may try to use the odd-one-out instead of one of the genuine articles and screw things up. When this happens, the bearer is allowed a Spot check against DC 25 to notice that something is wrong with the item. If the bearer is aware that he carries an odd-one-out, the DC falls to 17.
    Example 1: The odd-one-out becomes an arrow in a quiver. When the bearer draws the odd-one-out, he gets a chance to Spot the subtle differences. If he fails, the arrow shatters on the bow and showers him with sharp wood splinters, ruining the attack and dealing damage to bearer equal to the damage a successful attack would have dealt. (Alternatively, if the game includes a critical failure table, roll on the table).
    Example 2: The odd-one-out becomes a coin in a purse. When the bearer tries to pay a merchant with it and fails the Spot check, the merchant will instantly recognize the odd-one-out as a fake, becoming unfriendly or even hostile to the bearer and accuse him of being a cheat and a forger.
    Example 3: The odd-one-out sneaks into a deck of cards as a marked card. It will be dealt at a dangerous moment to the bearer and, if played, seem like an obvious attempt at cheating by his fellow players, again changing their attitude for the worse.
    Example 4: The odd-one-out hides amongst vials of healing potion. When the bearer fails the spot check and drinks it, it reveals itself to be acid or another damaging liquid, dealing acid damage equal to the amount the potion would have cured.
    After the odd-one-out has caused a problem this way, it disappears when not paid attention to and reconstitutes itself somewhere on its bearer's person as part of another bundle of items.
    An odd-one-out has no special compulsion to be kept. If one can recognize it for what it is, one can discard it without problems.
    Strong transmutation; CL 16th; Craft Wondrous Item, Polymorph Any Object, Nystul's Magical Aura, Bestow Curse; 9,000 gp.

Does it now seem alright or is there anything else that requires clarification?

Can transform an *unattended, mundane* item *that is not part of a bigger structure*. We don't want people transforming artifacts of doom and phylacteries into cheap arrows. How long does the weapon last? There has to be a failsafe to prevent the wearer from using it too much. 10 points of Cha and Dex burn during downtime and 31k gp to get an epically-enhanced bow is an issue, especially if the wearer can sell the bow afterwards. As is, unrateable, but it should be around the right price if it is balanced.
    Good points. I added the corrections and a duration (5 minutes). I also added a limit to how far the enhancement bonus can be increased. Is this sentence correctly formulated or too clunky:
    The maximal enhancement bonus of the created weapon is dependant on the user's HD: a wearer with at least 2 HD can create a +1 weapon. For every 4 HD after the second HD the enhancement bonus can be increased by +1.