Quote Originally Posted by Lemmy View Post
I hope I'm wrong... But I'm not optimistic (obviously).
So I agree with you that hearing that something 'isn't made for the fans' is a massive red flag because well...look at what's been done with that phrase in mind. As you said, a lot of soulless or needlessly reinvented series that then turn around to blame the fans and make it their fault to excuse a poor product. Its obvious that Bounding Into Comics has a similar pessimistic outook from reading the article (though with the addition of a different reason), but the context in said article is pretty important.

Coming from a guy who helped write the Dark Knight Trilogy (generally well regarded movies that, at the very least, can't be accused of not being Batman enough), he says that you can't write a movie/tv series with the explicit goal of making fans happy, you have to make a project that you yourself are proud of. He is largely right about it in the context he says it, that being he's trying to make a good Fallout series and the hope is that it will make most Fallout fans happy, as opposed to just mindlessly going for fan happiness which could lead to a directionless mess or soulless cash grab. I can agree with the man on that. If he enjoys Fallout (no reason given to believe he doesn't) then if he makes a show that he's personally proud of then the series should resonate with fans on some level.

Bounding Into Comics point of contention (aside from your red flag) is that the director is specifically a fan of Fallout 3 and onward and cites disagreements between people who like Bethesda Fallout and those who like the feel of the original two Fallout games as why fans might be let down by the series. I haven't heard of such disagreements myself, but I'm not super deep into the Fallout fandom largely because I like Bethesda games on a surface level for their cool worlds and occasionally good stories but largely find them..shallow and disconnected from each other because of the nature of their open world games. So having an actual story in a setting I find cool but a director who's work I can be excited for, has me casually optimistic.

I do have to ask though, is there a sharp divide between Fallout 1/2 fans and Fallout 3/4 fans? And where do New Vegas fans fall in that civil war? Lol.