Quote Originally Posted by Zevox View Post
I don't think that's true at all. The threat just needs to matter to the main characters, not to the wider setting, for a story to be interesting. A story about a Jedi that was deeply personal rather than being about a wider threat would be a great change of pace compared to the usual Jedi/Sith stuff.

There's actually one instance of this that I can think of: the novel "I, Jedi." Which is entirely about Corran Horn trying to find his missing wife, and undergoing Jedi training he'd previously been hesitant to undertake even after learning he was force-sensitive as part of that journey. Been a while since I read it, but I certainly remember it more fondly than most what Disney's done with the franchise.
There are actually quite a few smaller and more personal Jedi stories, though you do have to calibrate 'small' to at least mid-level supers. Even I, Jedi ultimately involves Corran taking down a rogue imperial warlord and redeeming a bizarre and deeply confused cult of semi-independent Force Users. Legends had quite a few of them, ranging fromt he exceedingly mainstream like Yoda's arc of personal discovery in season 6 of TCW to the truly weird like that time Jaden Korr met time travelers and had his consciousness exchanged with a clone of him or something (Crosscurrent and Riptide).

In fairness, it's not like Disney hasn't tried to make at least somewhat smaller and more personal stories into TV series. Obi-Wan and Ahsoka both involve a lot of character study, they just aren't very good or make huge and specific mistakes: Ahsoka, notably, would handle all character development regarding Sabine Wren (who is basically a co-lead) about ten times better if it includes a two-minute flashback in episode one showing her family get killed.

There are also some structural limitations. The problems of the PT Era Jedi Order, whatever those are diagnosed to be, have begun to set in as early as 100 BBY (if not earlier), and any story told during that period has the specter of the Order's ultimate fall to Palpatine hanging over it. That's manageable, but it is something that stories set during this period need to address. This is combined with the problem of the ST. Legends created a New Jedi Order and let its various members run around (this mostly focused on the Sky-Solo lineage, regrettably, but those kids did have a lot of adventures), Disney has resisted this. Sabine's much-maligned acquisition of Force powers in the final episode of Ahsoka might well make her the first post-ROTJ Jedi to emerge in the Disney canon, which is kind of crazy.