View Single Post

Thread: Star Wars: The Acolyte official trailer

1. - Top - End - #102
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Star Wars: The Acolyte official trailer

Quote Originally Posted by gbaji View Post
    Sure. And there may very well be a small niche customer base really interested in seeing the story of a Jedi doing minor things, or working through personal issues, or otherwise having minor conflicts with minor players that doesn't affect anything outside of a smallish circle of people around them. Again. I actually find such storys fun and entertaining. Some of my favorite short stories and novellas involve such character driven storylines. But those don't tend to make for big blockbuster numbers.

And, everything else being equal, if you include those elements in a project *and* up the scale/scope a fair bit, you will tend to attract a larger audience. This is not an either/or situation IMO. You can tell great stories, and delve into charcter personalities and development, while also having "big stakes" involved as well. The really great stories do just that. Heck. We can argue that the entire SW OT was exactly that. The story follows the growth and development of Luke, as he discovers his history, and deals with this, and then matures into making really hard decisions. That growth and development was not made less because the stakes were super high (literally the fate of the galaxy). I would argue that it was made greater because of those stakes, in fact.

And yeah. We also see growth and development of the Han Solo character as well. And with a great setting. And with good writing. And well paced. And... all the other stuff I've been talking about which actually make good films "good" in the first place.
    You can do that, yes. But note that I never said you couldn't, I pushed back on your argument that you *have* to have a more significant threat to have an "at all interesting" story about Jedi, which I think is clearly just factually wrong, and gave the opinion that a smaller-scale story would be a nice change of pace at this point.
    Last edited by Zevox; 2024-03-28 at 04:32 PM.
    Toph Pony avatar by Dirtytabs. Thanks!

"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty, I read them openly. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." -C.S. Lewis