Quote Originally Posted by gbaji View Post
I think I see where the conflict/confusion is. I was specifically speaking about live action films and series on D+ (since that seemed to be relevant). As someone mentioned above, there is a very very high overhead for such projects, so you have to have bigger scope/stakes involved to bring in the viewers to justify that cost.

You can absolutely do less large scale stories in a written or animated format. But that's not what I was trying to zero in on. It may not have been super clear what I was talking about initially though.

A story about a Jedi tracking down local smugglers/thieves causing problems for a friend works in an episode of Clone Wars. It does not have enough gravitas to stand alone as a feature film, or major story arc in a live action series. That's what I was getting at with my comments. You can absolutely have these elments in there, but somewhere there must be something "bigger" to make the whole project worth the cost.
Very well. Modern media's endless pursuit of everything being a "safe investment" that will make as much money as possible preventing them from ever trying new things is a well-known problem, and one I don't expect to go anywhere anytime soon. I'm not interested in discussing that, as I think that discussion is ultimately pointless, since it will only change if and when people in a position to make those decisions so stop thinking that way. I only objected to the claim that you need higher stakes for an interesting story; if you're backing off that one, then I'm good.