Sorry if I am derailing the thread, but I had a thought I wanted some other viewpoints on.

Recently, I have been having some arguments with people about Star Wars morality, both online and in person, and they end with people getting really pissed at me and calling me names and accuse my of supporting abhorrent political practices I won't get into here.

And I am starting to realize my whole problem with Star Wars is that the Jedi seem to be about collectivism, about letting go of your individuality and your emotions and listening to the universe as a whole, whereas as the Sith seem to be about individuality; personal strength and charisma and pursuing your own passions in your own way. But, on the other hand, the Sith support an oppressive totalitarian, whereas the Jedi support "peace and freedom" and support an ineffectual republic and a violent rebellion.

It really leaves me confused as to which side to support. What we are shown doesn't really match up with what we are told.

And then it gets even weirder when we get into slavery. We are told in the prequels that the Republic / Jedi won't / can't do anything about chattel slavery on Tattoine. Then in the OT we see an Imperial pressence on Tattoine, but slavery is still practiced underground by Hutt Gangsters. Then in Mandalorian, the Marshal tells us that as soon as the Empire fell, the slavers came back to Tatooine. And then, we are told that both the Republic and the Empire officially outlaw slavery, but the Empire still allows prison slavery and slavery on "non-sentient" species like Wookies and Ugnauhts. And of course, don't get me started about Droids, whom even in the original trilogy are treated as what can most charitably described as peasants bound in service to the heroes.

Anyone else have any insight into what I am feeling?