Quote Originally Posted by BloodSquirrel View Post
This is exactly what I'm talking about. The set-up in the original movie wasn't "naively black-and-white"- keen observers were even noting at the time that the resistance's lack of concern for collateral damage was morally abhorrent.
You're confusing audience reactions with what's shown in the movie. Yes, many "keen observers" found the resistance's actions morally repugnant - and held it against the movie, because the movie didn't adequately address that point. (Up to and including considering the Matrix immoral and irresponsible, not helped by how some people tried to invoke the movie's ideas as legal defense for crimes.) You can have whatever opinions you want of people who moralize about fiction, but it's still a flaw in the original that it too uncritically sides with the idea that "if you're not with us, you're against us".

Quote Originally Posted by BloodSquirrel
There's a deep irony that people talking about "the map becoming the territory" are failing to realize that, if you're going to put things in those terms, the original Matrix was the map that became the territory, and it was the sequels that naively thought that they could "wake up" and get outside of it.
Not remotely what the sequels tried to do. They straightforwardly doubled down on every element that made original Matrix what it was - that includes the philosophical self-deconstruction and reconstruction. The Architecht scene echoes and builds on both Morpheus's exposition dump and Smith's motive rant, and Neo's choice between two doors is similar to the red-pill-blue-pill scene. This doubling down just wasn't always the best choice they could've made.

You, along with the sequels, are completely missing the point by trying to argue about the validity of the philosophy rather than the mechanism for their delivery.
You are weirdly resistant to the idea that the original Matrix was not perfect in its delivery of its philosophical content, and that its imperfections were legitimate grounds for new supplementary material and sequels. The fact that not all those sequels were complete successess isn't the same as them missing the point. I agree Reloaded, Revolutions and (eventually) Resurrections had their share of problems, I even agree with you with what many of those problems are. But I can and do make a distinction between different kinds of problems that you are all too quick to lump under one catch-all phrase.

...and I'm not sure there's any possible better demonstration of missing the point than trying to rehabilitate the message of the original Matrix into "Don't question authority".
Not even remotely what the message of the sequels was, nor what I'm arguing for.