Quote Originally Posted by Just to Browse View Post
I think if your goal is to give martials toys that casters can't abuse, you're far better served by binding those features to things like the Attack action, weapon attacks, Strength, and class features. Concentration slots will still get abused by casters who want to hold a buff without the risk of losing it. Darth Credence's first post contains several effects that a caster would be happy to snap up.
Taking this thread on a related tangent, I am less concerned about the "Concentration space" than the "Reaction space".

I am not so much interested in rehashing the power level of Counterspell, Shield, Absorb Elements -- for purposes of this discussion I accept that the Wizard get great stuff at the cost of a slot is okay by some reasonable definition of okay. That said, I do think there is a serious Action Economy misbalance here. Casting two spells in a round is casting two spells in a round, and that is super powerful.

The problem here is not the Wizard in isolation. The problem here is that the Wizard does this an average of >1 times per combat, while in most combats the Fighter and Cleric does this zero times. The gap here is far too large IMNSHO.

To get to the point, I think some classes need medium power Reactions baked into the class chassis. The Rogue does well enough here with Uncanny Dodge. The Fighter might get a single Opportunity Attack once in a blue moon, but they basically need to pay the high cost of a Feat or a specialty subclass to do better than that. Some Cleric subclasses have something, but those mainly are appreciated because the Reaction cost is so irrelevant due to lack of options.