Quote Originally Posted by Hyoi View Post
That is how the rules work where I used to live (as well as putting scary warning stamps on everything with sugar, trans fat, sodium, etc above recommended limits). I'm not sure if it has had any effect on people's habits - the obesity/diabetes rates are still really high and people still consume huge amounts of unhealthy things.
Quote Originally Posted by Batcathat View Post
Yeah, as someone who was a smoker for like fifteen years despite the rather overwhelming amount of information about the health risks on both the packages and... well, pretty much everywhere, I agree that the distance between knowing something's unhealthy and actually avoiding it can be quite vast.
I don't imagine that everyone would take advantage of it, but i would still prefer a more open and honest system that people can disregard at will over a gamed system that does its best to muddy the waters.
Quote Originally Posted by Ionathus View Post
I don't know if there's any sort of system or reason for this, but in my neck of the U.S. woods, I have been noticing what you describe on some packaging. The things I can think of off the top of my head are certain frozen pizzas, some soft drinks, and a few others. It has two columns: one for "serving size" and one for total packaged content. I do think it's a far more honest way to approach it.

I have absolutely no idea which manufacturers are doing it or why, though -- we don't have a consistent enough grocery source for me to pinpoint it. Maybe it's a Trader Joe's thing?
That's pleasantly surprising.
Quote Originally Posted by Ionathus View Post
Granted, imperial weight units (pounds and ounces)
If you're in US, not imperial. American Customary Units. Dumbest distinction ever.