Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Samurai View Post
It's in the feature.

You don't think it's better because you seem to think that simply making a Disguise/Deception check will convince people that you are Aldarius, of Blue Haven, scholar and sage, and member of the Eyes of Boccob, with an established background, including profession, affiliations, and history. Things that people can sink their teeth into and know about the character. As opposed to trying to pass off as Aldarius the sage, and no one ever having heard of him, or these affiliations, and not being able to corroborate any of the deception at all.

A Disguise Kit lets you wear a costume. A Deception check lets you tell a lie. These things don't manifest a believable false identity as in Infiltration Expertise with a simple check.
No, I think you understand that I've said multiple times now, including in direct response to you, that anyone can do something like this, but it would require more checks and therefore set DCs that others can beat with their Perception/Investigation/Insight. And it would likely require as much time, or more, and more money.
Exactly - anyone can do something like this, so in order to try and preserve Assassin's dubious niche, you're now houseruling in unwritten handicaps like "require more checks, as much time or more, and more money." Either that, or rogues who don't have this feature merely get the lesser ability to "wear costumes." It's exactly the kind of artificial ceiling I'm glad is getting tossed out of the game.

Yes, if you houserule in a handicap that every other subclass needs at least 7 days like they do, likely more, and maybe throw in a monetary cost too, the Assassin looks better by comparison. And if I break Nancy Kerrigan's kneecaps before the Olympics I'll be the figure-skating champion too. It's not a great argument for Infiltration Expertise being the entirety of a subclass feature.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Samurai View Post
But again... show me where in the Disguise Kit it says you are able to establish a nearly flawless false identity with a single roll.
It doesn't have to be a "single roll", Reliable Talent and Expertise work on all of them. Unless, again, you're stopping me from rolling in the first place, or setting the DC for non-Assassins so high that you might as well skip the pretense and just ban them from the infiltration scene altogether.