Quote Originally Posted by Telok View Post
Just don't sweat the occasional half inch or inch of honest mistakes and its great.
In my experience this has been the hardest part of the whole thing -- building trust in my players that I'm not going to fleece them on the margin of error.

Every time there's an edge case in measuring distances, I try to make a fair ruling. I like to think that I come down in favor of the players' intentions about 60% of the time -- i.e. they get the positioning they're hoping for and are able to do the thing they wanted to do. Only problem is that the other 40% really sucks.

Especially for the melee martials in the group, who don't get to do much (if any) of their cool stuff if they're not in melee range. On the occasion that they're 5' or 10' out of the space they want to be, and they think it should be doable, but I make a judgment call and cut them short, that's a pretty crappy-feeling turn for both of us. Everyone at my table understands that I'm on their side, but rulings like this can feel particularly arbitrary, especially when your movement is the only thing keeping you from having a useful turn. Yes yes I know, "just buy ranged weapons." They don't want it and I'm not pushing them towards it. They like living a specific archetype and I'm more interested in giving them fun ways to play that than tell them "optimize or quit whining"