View Single Post

Thread: Is wireless charging bad for phones?

1. - Top - End - #7
    Barbarian in the Playground

GnomePirate

Default Re: Is wireless charging bad for phones?

Quote Originally Posted by veti View Post
    I'm sure that phones that are designed for wireless charging are properly tested. But this one wasn't. Wireless charging is a pretty recent thing, and the phone itself is more than five years old, the actual design even older.

Yes, the antennas must also pick up some current, but they'll be doing that all the time, it's how they work, so I'm reasonably confident they're specced and tested to cope with that up to, probably, quite a reassuring level.

The transistors are all on microchips, which I should think are simply too small to pick up any significant amount of current. Anyways, all commercial microchips for decades now have been specced to tolerate quite a robust level of EM interference, on general principles.

But the display controller is none of these. I don't know for sure, but I suspect it involves carrying currents the full length and breadth of the phone. And I'm *not* confident that it's as robustly hardened as the smaller components.

Edit: as for Google, I'd say it's a victim of what Corey Doctorow calls en****tification - the inherent conflict between "being useful" and "making money". It's travelled way down that curve by now, and shows no sign of wanting to back up.
    Passing a battery through an EM field will not charge it. It needs to be connected to an induction coil and a rectifier. What exactly is the phone? Wireless chargers are not that new a thing. I had a Samsung phone 10+ years ago that was capable of wireless charging.

I brought up the antenna because some antenna are coiled to make them fit into a tight space. But, on second thought, they would have to be coiled around a core so that's not likely. A conductor by itself is not going to receive enough energy. An antenna, for example receives a minimal amount of current that has to be boosted. Nothing like the wattage that an induction coil would receive from a charger.

If the problem you are seeing is a screen issue, it is likely due to the phone's age. Environmental conditions like temperature change and sunlight degrade screens over time. That's much more likely than a wireless charger doing it.
    Last edited by Trafalgar; 2024-04-29 at 05:51 PM.