Quote Originally Posted by Rodin View Post
Oh, it absolutely is, and once you get into endgame you can have a lot of fun smashing people between the eyes with Super Sledges. The problem I found with my Unarmed character is that there's a section in the midgame where 10mm SMGs become common, and if an enemy wielding one of those burst attacks you just get OHKO'd. And for some burst weapons it's not by a little bit - at around level 11 or so (so before I could get the dodging perk to increase my AC) I got hit for 174 damage by a dude with a Combat Shotgun. I went back and did the fight again, and this time he didn't use a burst attack and I won easily.
That issue is more with the volatile nature of burst criticals that bypass all of your armor at the same time. What I ended up abusing on my melee characters was the fact that with high Sequence (through decent Perception and maybe Kamikaze) you are allowed to often take two first turns before most enemies take theirs, and hope you cripple or kill them instantly with Better Criticals infused hits to the eyes. Taking Psycho before big fights like that is also helpful, as it makes it so you usually take chip damage or no damage at all - though burst crits are still deadly.

Really the biggest advantage to being melee is -1 AP cost on most weapons (though not a clear cut advantage because there are cheap Small Guns that fire as fast, like Magnum 44), the fact that you can sell all of your guns and ammo spoils for chems early on, and the fact that you get a ton of free training throughout the game from various NPCs and items.