New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 8 of 50 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171833 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: KuReshtin's Kallously Konfusing Konsternations - Random Banter #208

Quote Originally Posted by Rawhide View Post
    It's awesome. I'm told that the American remake is not as good, but I'd still like to see what they did with it.
    I've seen both, and "Let Me In" is honestly just as good. It's also got some REALLY creepy imagery in it, with the kids little candy snacks.

Also, this is one of the most appropriate times to say this phrase: "still a better love story then Twilight"

2. - Top - End - #212
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    I've seen both, and "Let Me In" is honestly just as good. It's also got some REALLY creepy imagery in it, with the kids little candy snacks.

Also, this is one of the most appropriate times to say this phrase: "still a better love story then Twilight"
    Cell division is a better love story than Twilight.
    Hate me if you want. But that's your issue to fix, not mine.

Primal ego vos, estis ex nihilo.

When Gods Go To War comes out March 8th

Discord: HalfTangible

Extended Sig

3. - Top - End - #213

Quote Originally Posted by HalfTangible View Post
    Cell division is a better love story than Twilight.
    Yes but Let The Right One In is legitimately a love story, that involves a vampire. It is the MOST APPROPRIATE time to use that phrase.

4. - Top - End - #214
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by FinnLassie View Post

Good, good, you suspect nothing... *sharpens knives* Uh, these are, totally, you know, for cutting the sausage.

Pfft, I'm not going to be scared by you sharpening knives. You're Finnish; that's just natural behavior.

Quote Originally Posted by Asta Kask View Post
    Dracula is an interesting case. While he is clearly very intelligent, the book also reveal him as stuck in his ways. He finds it difficult to understand the modern world, with trains and telegraphs - he is firmly stuck in the 16th century.
    I rather like Bram Stoker's version of Dracula, in part because of how well the count is portrayed as 'stuck' in an earlier time. Also, because no one catches on fire in the sunlight; they just lose their vampire powers and look much older.
    A few odds and ends.

5. - Top - End - #215
    Titan in the Playground

Have you seen the 1992 movie? Gary Oldman, Winona Ryder, Keanu Reeves, Anthony Hopkins?

It's hilarious.

Oooh, and that's a bad miss.

“Don't exercise your freedom of speech until you have exercised your freedom of thought.”
    ― Tim Fargo

6. - Top - End - #216
    Miniature Giant Space Hamster in the Playground Administrator

I always promote the show, before mentioning the name, as a young vampire and human who fall for each other. So many people assume Twilight and scrunch their noses up!

"My Hobby: Replacing your soap with gravy" by rtg0922, Doll and Clint "Rawhide" Eastwood by Sneak

7. - Top - End - #217
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by DraPrime View Post
    Operation Absinthe has reached phase 2: adding wormwood. Now I wait 2-3 hours. This is taking a while.
    Woot! Enjoy the fruits of deliciousness DraPrime.

Quote Originally Posted by enderlord99 View Post
    Vampires are brutish, feral idiots.

If someone wants to be undead, it's much better to be an alhoona lich.
    As far as I know there are just as many sources of intelligent vampires (not counting most modern sources even) as there are of them being monstrous. Vampires are so much more interesting than liches. And...that is all I will say about that.

Quote Originally Posted by Astrella View Post
    Your mom yelling at everyone for ten minutes and slamming doors cause your dad forgot something at the store isn't normal behaviour, right?
    Hmm perhaps but certainly not pleasant. Then again maybe not normal. I apologize for your predicament. Had similar before, I know it's bad.

Dracula is an interesting case. While he is clearly very intelligent, the book also reveal him as stuck in his ways. He finds it difficult to understand the modern world, with trains and telegraphs - he is firmly stuck in the 16th century.

And while I do not have ice cream, I could easily get it.

I like this appraisal of Dracula. That book is a classic. Well, at least to me it is. Anyone else?

This image! Such truth!

Yes but Let The Right One In is legitimately a love story, that involves a vampire. It is the MOST APPROPRIATE time to use that phrase.
    Hmm did you mention in any post who the author was? I think I might want to look into this potentially.

Quote Originally Posted by Amidus Drexel View Post
    I rather like Bram Stoker's version of Dracula, in part because of how well the count is portrayed as 'stuck' in an earlier time. Also, because no one catches on fire in the sunlight; they just lose their vampire powers and look much older.
    I think I like most stories where the whole "vampires hate sun" thing is done differently. I'm trying to remember a series I read once where the main vampire girl mentioned it only being irritating to the eyes and weakening her by a bit. She was still super-humanly strong. Possibly because she was a very old vampire. But yeah it's good to see, another great point to Dracula.
    Spoiler: Sigs about the Internet and Life
    Show
    Yeah... even if it's a fairly friendly place by the internet's standards... it's still the internet. A certain level of pedantic bickering is to be expected.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay R View Post
    The forums can't universally agree that the sun will rise in the east. Disagreement is what we do.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jacior
    If I can get a pet dinosaur, I totally will. My low wisdom means a raptor looks like a great guard dog.

Awesome Holy Knight Haluesen avatar done by the uber skilled Grinner!

8. - Top - End - #218
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Astrella View Post
    Your mom yelling at everyone for ten minutes and slamming doors cause your dad forgot something at the store isn't normal behaviour, right?
    I think the important question is if it's acceptable behavior. It is not.

“Don't exercise your freedom of speech until you have exercised your freedom of thought.”
    ― Tim Fargo

9. - Top - End - #219
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Haluesen View Post
    I think I like most stories where the whole "vampires hate sun" thing is done differently. I'm trying to remember a series I read once where the main vampire girl mentioned it only being irritating to the eyes and weakening her by a bit. She was still super-humanly strong. Possibly because she was a very old vampire. But yeah it's good to see, another great point to Dracula.
    I rather like Buffy's treatment of it. The sun is always deadly (gem of amara excepted), but vamps grow more resistant to it with age. Contrast a lowly messenger vamp visibly burning under a blanket with Spike frequently using a heavy blanket to get around.
    Avatar by Venetian Mask. It's of an NPC from a campaign I may yet run (possibly in PbP) who became a favorite of mine while planning.

Quote Originally Posted by Razanir View Post
    Everyone knows frying pans are actually weapons that people repurpose for cooking
    I am a 10/14/11/15/12/14 LG Clr 2

10. - Top - End - #220

I always promote the show, before mentioning the name, as a young vampire and human who fall for each other. So many people assume Twilight and scrunch their noses up!
    If entirely possible, the best way to show them this is to say "hey lets watch a vampire movie" and then during say...the pool scene, say "this is a love story : D"

Hmm did you mention in any post who the author was? I think I might want to look into this potentially.
    It's a movie, not a book, and I don't remember the director of either versions

11. - Top - End - #221
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

I rather like Buffy's treatment of it. The sun is always deadly (gem of amara excepted), but vamps grow more resistant to it with age. Contrast a lowly messenger vamp visibly burning under a blanket with Spike frequently using a heavy blanket to get around.
    Ah right, that is how it worked in Buffy. Been so long since I watched it. Yeah that was a good way to handle it too.

It's a movie, not a book, and I don't remember the director of either versions
    Ah my bad. Not thinking too well because I am distracted by the anime. Well alright movie. Still might be worth a look then.
    Show
    Yeah... even if it's a fairly friendly place by the internet's standards... it's still the internet. A certain level of pedantic bickering is to be expected.
    The forums can't universally agree that the sun will rise in the east. Disagreement is what we do.
    If I can get a pet dinosaur, I totally will. My low wisdom means a raptor looks like a great guard dog.

12. - Top - End - #222

Ah right, that is how it worked in Buffy. Been so long since I watched it. Yeah that was a good way to handle it too.

Ah my bad. Not thinking too well because I am distracted by the anime. Well alright movie. Still might be worth a look then.
    The original version, Let the Right One In is fantastic. Watch it. Either subtitled or dubbed, the dubbing was done quite well.

"My Hobby: Replacing your soap with gravy" by rtg0922, Doll and Clint "Rawhide" Eastwood by Sneak

13. - Top - End - #223

Also I looked it up and it is a book and the author of the book also made the original film version oh man I'm so wrong sometimes. It's author is John Ajvide Lindqvist.

14. - Top - End - #224
    Titan in the Playground

Something happened to me on the bus home... there was a kid and a his parents, and the baby was making "feed me noises" at the mom. The mom looked back and said "Sorry hon, we left the food at home." And the baby shot her a look that said louder than words "Well, weren't you a ****ing idiot. Why should I have to suffer for your idiocy?"

It made me smile. Baby facial expressions can be very expressive.
    Last edited by Asta Kask; 2014-07-19 at 01:17 PM.

― Tim Fargo

15. - Top - End - #225

Also I looked it up and it is a book and the author of the book also made the original film version oh man I'm so wrong sometimes. It's author is John Ajvide Lindqvist.
    Not quite. The author wrote the screenplay adaption, but the director had to change some things. The two agreed on some changes, and fought over others.

16. - Top - End - #226
    Bugbear in the Playground

Something happened to me on the bus home... there was a kid and a his parents, and the baby was making "feed me noises" at the mom. The mom looked back and said "Sorry hon, we left the food at home." And the baby shot her a look that said louder than words "Well, weren't you a ****ing idiot. Why should I have to suffer for your idiocy?"

For a second, I read it as the baby actually saying that. Needless to say, I was quite confused.

But either way, the baby was completely right.

17. - Top - End - #227

Spoiler
    Show

18. - Top - End - #228

BlackDragon

I rather like Buffy's treatment of it. The sun is always deadly (gem of amara excepted), but vamps grow more resistant to it with age.
    Anne Rice has vampires that eventually become immune to damage from sunlight--they also actually lose the physical requirement to drink blood to survive; however, the physical need is replaced by a mental urge (like an addiction) that makes them even more bloodthirsty!

19. - Top - End - #229

Spoiler
    Show
    Where is this and when is it becoming a thing that is real?

20. - Top - End - #230
    Titan in the Playground

What is it?

― Tim Fargo

21. - Top - End - #231

What is it?
    It's a price tag for a 3DS remake of Majora's Mask. Which if real means it's coming out. Which means everything is awesome.

22. - Top - End - #232
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

The original version, Let the Right One In is fantastic. Watch it. Either subtitled or dubbed, the dubbing was done quite well.
    I tend to prefer dubs, so I shall look for that primarily when I can. Thank you!

Hmm so there is also a book? Well I haven't done enough reading lately. I doubt I will find it easily but I will look around anyway.

Yes they very much can. Such a smart baby it seems.
    Show

23. - Top - End - #233
    Titan in the Playground

Hmm so there is also a book? Well I haven't done enough reading lately. I doubt I will find it easily but I will look around anyway.
    Well, it's been translated to english (Let The Right One In; ISBN 978-1-84724-848-0) but it seems they're out of it at moment.

― Tim Fargo

24. - Top - End - #234

Ugh, I want to play a video game but I don't know WHAT to play. I hate when that happens D:

25. - Top - End - #235
    Troll in the Playground

tongue Re: KuReshtin's Kallously Konfusing Konsternations - Random Banter #208

Ugh, I want to play a video game but I don't know WHAT to play. I hate when that happens D:
    My first response on seeing this was going to be "Zelda. The answer is always Zelda." Then I looked up the page and saw the Majora's Mask thing.

*digs out N64, prepares to blow for the next 30 minutes before anything happens*

Also, Pokemon? Can always spend some time doing a horrifying eugenics program if all else fails.
    Can only thank GitP for being so good for so long.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Solaris View Post
    If it helps, think of me as the Agent from Serenity. Just not that good a fighter. Also, I have a mustache.
    Quote Originally Posted by kpenguin View Post
    I'm probably hilarious far off, aren't I?
    Quote Originally Posted by Telonius View Post
    This is not... the greatest story Tolkien ever wrote. No... This is just a tribute.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dracon1us View Post
    don't feed the troll...

A pile of thanks piled on other thanks to Teddy for photorealistic avatar.

26. - Top - End - #236

Quote Originally Posted by Mutant Sheep View Post
    My first response on seeing this was going to be "Zelda. The answer is always Zelda." Then I looked up the page and saw the Majora's Mask thing.

*digs out N64, prepares to blow for the next 30 minutes before anything happens*

Also, Pokemon? Can always spend some time doing a horrifying eugenics program if all else fails.
    I have no Zelda games to play because I beat them all and have no current desire to do so again. And no Pokeyman, I'm waiting for Omega Ruby

27. - Top - End - #237
    Titan in the Playground

I have no Zelda games to play because I beat them all and have no current desire to do so again. And no Pokeyman, I'm waiting for Omega Ruby
    Only thing that comes to mind for me is that MMBN is going to be on the Wii U Virtual Console soon. Unfortunately, that's not yet, unless you've got a Japanese Wii U (in which case you're still stuck with only 1).

You could watch the stream I mentioned? That's sort of like gaming. They just finished the Wonderswan one, Network Transmission is next.
    Quote Originally Posted by jamieth View Post
    ...though Talla does her best to sound objective and impartial, it doesn't cover stuff like "ask a 9-year-old to tank for the party."
    My Homebrew

28. - Top - End - #238
    Troll in the Playground

I've been slowly working my way through Wind Waker. Got Swift Sail as soon as I plausibly could, but once I made it to the temples my willingness died. Took a few weeks of a break, came back to it yesterday. Loved the temples. And now I have to Triforce hunt.

I also have to get through a Link between Worlds.
    Can only thank GitP for being so good for so long.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Solaris View Post
    If it helps, think of me as the Agent from Serenity. Just not that good a fighter. Also, I have a mustache.
    Quote Originally Posted by kpenguin View Post
    I'm probably hilarious far off, aren't I?
    Quote Originally Posted by Telonius View Post
    This is not... the greatest story Tolkien ever wrote. No... This is just a tribute.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dracon1us View Post
    don't feed the troll...

A pile of thanks piled on other thanks to Teddy for photorealistic avatar.

29. - Top - End - #239

Quote Originally Posted by Qwertystop View Post
    Only thing that comes to mind for me is that MMBN is going to be on the Wii U Virtual Console soon. Unfortunately, that's not yet, unless you've got a Japanese Wii U (in which case you're still stuck with only 1).

You could watch the stream I mentioned? That's sort of like gaming. They just finished the Wonderswan one, Network Transmission is next.
    Can't watch streams, we have a gigabyte usage limit up here. It eats it up so fast

I also own and have beaten to 100% all of the MMBN games. I'll probably end up picking them up for the Wii U virtual console when they come out though.

Quote Originally Posted by Mutant Sheep View Post
    I've been slowly working my way through Wind Waker. Got Swift Sail as soon as I plausibly could, but once I made it to the temples my willingness died. Took a few weeks of a break, came back to it yesterday. Loved the temples. And now I have to Triforce hunt.

I also have to get through a Link between Worlds.
    The Triforce hunt isn't nearly as rough as it used to be, due to numerous reasons. Link Between Worlds is great! It's one of the few games I've played in a long time where I actually missed something (because I'm an idiot, but still!)

30. - Top - End - #240
    Titan in the Playground

Can't watch streams, we have a gigabyte usage limit up here. It eats it up so fast

I also own and have beaten to 100% all of the MMBN games. I'll probably end up picking them up for the Wii U virtual console when they come out though.

The Triforce hunt isn't nearly as rough as it used to be, due to numerous reasons. Link Between Worlds is great! It's one of the few games I've played in a long time where I actually missed something (because I'm an idiot, but still!)
    's a shame - they had a thing where if people donated $100 earmarked towards that specific objective, they'd all sing the Pokemon theme but refluffed to MMBN. It was at $20 for a while and then someone just put $80 in. I assume it would have been funny if they had been able to sing either in tune or in time with each other. Which I suppose is why it was funny.
    Quote Originally Posted by jamieth View Post
    ...though Talla does her best to sound objective and impartial, it doesn't cover stuff like "ask a 9-year-old to tank for the party."
    My Homebrew