New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: The Wreck of the Harmonious Spirit (D&D 3.5 IC)

Quote Originally Posted by Metastachydium View Post
    …if of the same rite.
    Quote Originally Posted by Breitheamh View Post
    [Is a Druid.]
    …such as yourself, Master Windspeaker, as the case may be. Utra appends to her previous string of utterances missing only the one beat. Mayhaps primitive was a rather strong word to use – if entirely accurate.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Bugbear in the Playground

Hearing the party speak to the orc and hom seemingly being receptive Orion holds his action but keeps himself primed to fire off another hex just in case.

Spoiler: Action
    Show

Hold action to cast hex again to cast hex again. If orc moves forward.
    Its not about having good grades It's about passing the semester

Currently Playing

Sorin Dalmark
    Nicholas (Nick if he likes you) Lorchester
    Jeqem Ashthorn

3. - Top - End - #63
    Dwarf in the Playground

Planetar

Spoiler: Previous Player Action
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by razorfloss View Post
    Hearing the party speak to the orc and hom seemingly being receptive Orion holds his action but keeps himself primed to fire off another hex just in case.

Spoiler: Action
    Show

Hold action to cast hex again to cast hex again. If orc moves forward.
    Quote Originally Posted by Breitheamh View Post
    Utra's words were enough to give Skaruvus pause, and as he landed gracefully back on his paws from the Orc's defense of his grapple, he let his weight settle back slightly, raising his head to show a slightly more diplomatic posture.

And then he speaks in a language that very few, if any could recognize, something that feels more primal and rooted in the earth.

Spoiler: Druidic
    Show
    "You who has become my opponent, I listen to the wind and sky when they speak... As arbiter of beast and grove, would you become my fellow, my predator, or my prey?"
    If anyone can speak Druidic, this is immediately recognizable as a highly formal entreatment offering truce and warning of deadly conflict should the truce be broken without prior agreement.
    Spoiler: Even MORE Telepathy in ORC
    Show

Taknorogan, Caller of Storms, understand this: how I speak to you now, is but a birthright, and I learned much since my birth. And yet: of those you stand against, I might be the least. Utra cautions the Skincutter matter-of-factly. But then, hm. Join you? How does one join Taknorogan the Storm Caller?
    Perhaps there might be ways to ease this task. Or glean some further insight. Neither prospect is unappealing to the scholar. Still, until then, se better aid her own in how they'd handle this. An interesting detail, mayhaps. she addresses them. Our Orc here; the bolt of lightning he used is of a telling sort. Divine magic, but of the… More primitive traditions, as we would call them. Druidic mayhaps, hm. How much do you happen to know about the concept of a spell level. she asks, absently drawing her own sword as she speaks; she may as well, after all. It is of the third; roughly on par or slightly below of what one of you could use, at most, if of the same rite.

“Acknowledge me as your champion. Declare aloud that I have bested you and I will offer my protection and leadership.”

These words are spoken telepathically to Utra while uttered aloud in Druidic. Without waiting for a reply Taknorogan shifts his position ever so slightly, turning his back on the shapechanger in tiger form. His hands circling, extended to their maximum

First comes the lightning then comes the thunder.

Activating his Boots of Stomping he does raise a foot high off the ground, before bringing it down with great force. Coinciding with a tremendous thunderclap which echoes through the canyon. A cone of psychokinetic sonic energy rushes forward threatening to knock down anyone in its path.

Taking in each hand, the chain which once bound him, now merged into his flesh, he begins to swing it around his body. Creating arcs of twisted metal. Threatening all those within his reach. Sparks of electricity surge with every strike of metal against stone.
    Spoiler: Taknorogan's Action
    Show
    Taknorogan takes a five foot step to N17

Taknorogan activates Boots of Stomping 15 foot cone covering O18 O19 O20 P18 Q18 and P19
    Djin and Rose make DC 13 reflex or fall prone.

Taknorogan draws the spiked chain upon which he was impaled as a weapon.

Possessing a strong will, Taknorogan once again negates the impact of Orion’s curse.

4. - Top - End - #64

AssassinGuy

Djin jumps over the shockwave, does a handstand and flips over to his feet.

"What is the orc yapping about? Is he self-aggrandizing again, Utra?"
    Last edited by Yas392; 2024-05-01 at 06:08 PM.

5. - Top - End - #65
    Titan in the Playground

PirateWench

Naomi sees an opening and moves to M16 pouncing in for an attack
    attack 1 to hit 16, attack 2 to hit 18, total damage if they hit a possible 32
    Last edited by samduke; 2024-05-01 at 08:10 PM.

6. - Top - End - #66
    Dwarf in the Playground

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by samduke View Post
    A keen sense alerts Taknorogan when Naomi begins to move. Though facing away, he does track her in his periphery, never allowing her to leave his vision. Trusting his instinct, the storm caller hurls his weapon behind his back, allowing the cruel barbed chain to fly over the head of Skaruvus’s tiger form. Striking Naomi directly upon her sternum piercing flesh and delivering a solid impact, followed by a searing jolt of electricity.

Undetered Naomi closes the distance. Landing a pair of devastating slashes to the orc’s lightly armored body. Opening deep wounds, splattering burgundy blood. Nearly dead, only a madman would fight on, and fight on he does.

Taknorogan (Skincutter Orc) takes 32 slashing damage
    Health 6%

Taknorogan’s Attack of Opportunity deals 11 damage and 11 electricity damage.
    Last edited by CircleNavigator; 2024-05-01 at 10:19 PM.

7. - Top - End - #67

AssassinGuy

"Hey guys. He is bloodied. Aren't we supposed to keep him alive? I'll try to see if I can chip the last bit of that rebel in him. Skar, Orion, anyone, flank with me. We need all the advantages we get. If I can't knock em down and out, you will have to."

He tiptoes to the flanking spot to not have a chain to his face and flanks with the transformed tiger. After seeing his ally opposite of him, Djin flashes his silver dagger at the orc.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Requests Skarvarus to flank with him.

5 ft step diagonal to N18 if Skaruvus 5 ft step diagonal to N16 to full-attack orc. Will retract his other attack if orc is unconscious from his first attack.
    Last edited by Yas392; 2024-05-01 at 10:38 PM.

8. - Top - End - #68

Quote Originally Posted by CircleNavigator View Post
    “Acknowledge me as your champion. Declare aloud that I have bested you and I will offer my protection and leadership.”[/B]

These words are spoken telepathically to Utra while uttered aloud in Druidic.
    Spoiler: MORE Telepathy
    Show

We have our masters and our tasks, Taknorogan, Caller of Storms. We can aid you if you aid us. This is my best offer. Utra tells the Orc's mind, unfazed-

Quote Originally Posted by Yas392 View Post
    "What is the orc yapping about? Is he self-aggrandizing again, Utra?"
    Behind her illusory screen, Utra nods as though Djin could see her. I am goiung to need Master Skar to confirm that was the meaning of the spoken words; but I received such boasts from the man, yes, Master Djin. Hm. the Halfling pauses I fact, he is offering his leadership for oaths of fealty and a declaration of defeat; mayhaps we could use this to locate his clan and settlement, as well as access to what he knows of the land, but, hm, I need no war with the natives just yet.

"Hey guys. He is bloodied. Aren't we supposed to keep him alive? I'll try to see if I can chip the last bit of that rebel in him. Skar, Orion, anyone, flank with me. We need all the advantages we get. If I can't knock em down and out, you will have to."

He tiptoes to the flanking spot to not have a chain to his face and flanks with the transformed tiger. After seeing his ally opposite of him, Djin flashes his silver dagger at the orc.
    Alive would seem ideal, yes, but it is not neccesary. Utra points out, quite calmly, shiftin g her weight from one leg to the other. Seeing him react to a clear defeat could prove… Informative, but I am growing cautiouslt pessimistic as regards our chances of forcing his cooperation. Until then, you might want to mayhaps mind those chains; they are magically enhanced, and not as instruments of binding as I previously suspected.

9. - Top - End - #69
    Dwarf in the Playground

Planetar

Spoiler: Previous Player Actions
    Show
    Spoiler: MORE Telepathy
    Show

We have our masters and our tasks, Taknorogan, Caller of Storms. We can aid you if you aid us. This is my best offer. Utra tells the Orc's mind, unfazed-

Behind her illusory screen, Utra nods as though Djin could see her. I am goiung to need Master Skar to confirm that was the meaning of the spoken words; but I received such boasts from the man, yes, Master Djin. Hm. the Halfling pauses I fact, he is offering his leadership for oaths of fealty and a declaration of defeat; mayhaps we could use this to locate his clan and settlement, as well as access to what he knows of the land, but, hm, I need no war with the natives just yet.

Alive would seem ideal, yes, but it is not neccesary. Utra points out, quite calmly, shiftin g her weight from one leg to the other. Seeing him react to a clear defeat could prove… Informative, but I am growing cautiouslt pessimistic as regards our chances of forcing his cooperation. Until then, you might want to mayhaps mind those chains; they are magically enhanced, and not as instruments of binding as I previously suspected.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Requests Skarvarus to flank with him.

5 ft step diagonal to N18 if Skaruvus 5 ft step diagonal to N16 to full-attack orc. Will retract his other attack if orc is unconscious from his first attack.

When Djin’s first blade silently enters Taknorogan’s side, it misses vital points, doing nothing more than contributing to what is already an excessive amount of blood. When Djin’s second blade enters Taknorogan’s chest he falls at once to the ground. Alive but barely, quickly loosing blood, not breathing, without a pulse.

Taknorogan (Skincutter Orc) takes 8 slashing damage
    Health -30% / dying / death at -100%

The storm dissipates as quickly and as unnaturally as it formed. The sky immediately clears, the clouds retreating to the horizon in mere seconds. On the horizon a star burns, barely illuminating the dusky surroundings. Long shadows climb canyon walls. The air is brisk, the wind light, conditions return to the way they were.

10. - Top - End - #70
    Dwarf in the Playground

Planetar

Spoiler: Previous Action
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by CircleNavigator View Post
    A keen sense alerts Taknorogan when Naomi begins to move. Though facing away, he does track her in his periphery, never allowing her to leave his vision. Trusting his instinct, the storm caller hurls his weapon behind his back, allowing the cruel barbed chain to fly over the head of Skaruvus’s tiger form. Striking Naomi directly upon her sternum piercing flesh and delivering a solid impact, followed by a searing jolt of electricity.

Undetered Naomi closes the distance. Landing a pair of devastating slashes to the orc’s lightly armored body. Opening deep wounds, splattering burgundy blood. Nearly dead, only a madman would fight on, and fight on he does.

Taknorogan (Skincutter Orc) takes 32 slashing damage
    Health 6%

Taknorogan’s Attack of Opportunity deals 11 damage and 11 electricity damage.

The party emerges unscathed with the notable exception of Naomi. Who’s injury is not life threatening, but causes constant discomfort and bouts of acute pain. Hampering fluid movement with her upper body.

-1 to hit until healed

11. - Top - End - #71
    Dwarf in the Playground

Planetar

The bounty of crystals revealed by the Orc, accidental as the helpful act might have been, earns a reflexive nod of appreciation from Utra, still hidden from view. And the lightning itself, it might just tell her something about their foe as well, a thought that reminds her that the stones are not what they are after here. Whatever the Skincutter knows, might be.

Spoiler: MORE TELEPATHY IN ORC!
    Show

We are many. You are alone. You looked dead, but live now. Not for long if you fight. So why, I'm thinking. Why fight us. her words seep into the Orc's mind as he grapples Skar. You are of no use to us fighting. You are of no use to you dead. This can change if you yield.
    A rich deposit of Blue Zoisite has been exposed on the cliff face struck by Taknorogan’s lightning. The deposit is located 25 feet above the ground on a vertical rocky canyon wall. If extracted with skill, the vein can yield gems valued at 926gp in the markets back home.

12. - Top - End - #72

AssassinGuy

Djin tries to treat the downed orc, applying pressure to the bleeding to staunch it with one hand but he fumbles, creating a larger gap that leaks more blood.

"Healer! I am not a healing expert!"
    Last edited by Yas392; 2024-05-03 at 07:39 AM.

13. - Top - End - #73
    Titan in the Playground

PirateWench

Naomi walking up to the dying Orc, "Healer! Why do we need him to live ?, I could use some healing

Naomi Loots the orc taking the Spiked Chain, then eats a goodberry hoping one of her companions can render magical healing.

14. - Top - End - #74

AssassinGuy

"Information and he can lead us to his "friends" so we can talk and have them help us with our ship."

Djin, once more, tries first aid on the orc. This time, his hold is solid. He uses his other hand to support the hand that is applying strength on the bleeding part, to keep it from slipping, until the bleeding stops, and blood clotted. He wipes the sweat about to drop from his face like morning dew and smiles.

"One living orc, ready for a rude wake-up call for interrogation."

The acrobat then ties him up tight with consideration to not re-open the orc's sealed wounds.
    Last edited by Yas392; 2024-05-03 at 08:35 AM.

15. - Top - End - #75

With one more side-glance to verify that the spider remains present, Utra sheathes the sword and steps through the illusory screen, already fading. Precisely, Master Djin, and an excellent work overall, hm. she circles her finger in the air to indicate she is including everyone else in the praise given. If you could muzzle him as well, mayhaps… He is awfully loud, and I can make do without his voice in terms of questioning. Still in motion, she steps closer to Naomi, and using both hands, she channels some heling power from her belt into the woman. It is the best she can do for now. In the meantime, may I request the assistance of our more, shall I say, survival-minded. she goes on. Above us she indicates the crystal vein we have some fine quality zoisite; I believe we are looking at roughly a 1000 gold pieces in worth, a good incentive for the crew if we can extract it, mayhaps. But that is time-consuming, and not very urgent; as such, I would gladly see it concealed and marked for now. I will further need someone to extract some venom from a spider, gently, if at all possible… she begins digging in her pack for a vial.

16. - Top - End - #76
    Titan in the Playground

PirateWench

Well I can try to extract some of that venom if you care to help

17. - Top - End - #77

AssassinGuy

Djin gags the orc with whatever rags he can find.
    Last edited by Yas392; 2024-05-03 at 07:10 PM.

18. - Top - End - #78
    Dwarf in the Playground

Planetar

Naomi walking up to the dying Orc, "Healer! Why do we need him to live ?, I could use some healing

Naomi Loots the orc taking the Spiked Chain, then eats a goodberry hoping one of her companions can render magical healing.
    Elastic flesh pulls away from bloody metal, as Naomi claims Taknorogan’s spiked chain as her prize. A yellow diamond embedded in the metal flashes with an inner radiance. On the body is an unremarkable set of leather armor torn to shreds. Magically enchanted boots and gauntlets along with a Falchion made by a master in their craft.

19. - Top - End - #79
    Dwarf in the Playground

Planetar

Spoiler: Previous Player Actions
    Show
    With one more side-glance to verify that the spider remains present, Utra sheathes the sword and steps through the illusory screen, already fading. Precisely, Master Djin, and an excellent work overall, hm. she circles her finger in the air to indicate she is including everyone else in the praise given. If you could muzzle him as well, mayhaps… He is awfully loud, and I can make do without his voice in terms of questioning. Still in motion, she steps closer to Naomi, and using both hands, she channels some heling power from her belt into the woman. It is the best she can do for now. In the meantime, may I request the assistance of our more, shall I say, survival-minded. she goes on. Above us she indicates the crystal vein we have some fine quality zoisite; I believe we are looking at roughly a 1000 gold pieces in worth, a good incentive for the crew if we can extract it, mayhaps. But that is time-consuming, and not very urgent; as such, I would gladly see it concealed and marked for now. I will further need someone to extract some venom from a spider, gently, if at all possible… she begins digging in her pack for a vial.

"Information and he can lead us to his "friends" so we can talk and have them help us with our ship."

Djin, once more, tries first aid on the orc. This time, his hold is solid. He uses his other hand to support the hand that is applying strength on the bleeding part, to keep it from slipping, until the bleeding stops, and blood clotted. He wipes the sweat about to drop from his face like morning dew and smiles.

"One living orc, ready for a rude wake-up call for interrogation."

The acrobat then ties him up tight with consideration to not re-open the orc's sealed wounds.
    Djin gags the orc with whatever rags he can find.

One hour after battle Taknorogan awakens, remembering nothing of his journey back to the land of the living. Attempting to raise his arms, he finds them securely bound. Pain shoots through his wounded body, which feels to him as if it is being held together by the most delicate threads. Casting his gaze to the sky, he attempts to call down aiding magics but finds his mouth full of foul tasting rags.

It would appear the group which interfered with his ambush has taken him prisoner. For what unspeakable reason he can only imagine. Still not all is lost, noting several angles he intends to exploit when the time is right. Silently observing the victors, he puzzles at their purpose and motivation. Unable to understand their words but seeing unusual strength in each of them. Of course, he would easily defeat any one of them, in a one on one fight.

Time Night
    Moon New
    Temp Cold
    Aurora No
    Precipitation None
    Terrain Tundra
    Last edited by CircleNavigator; 2024-05-04 at 02:33 AM.

20. - Top - End - #80
    Dwarf in the Playground

Planetar

Well I can try to extract some of that venom if you care to help
    Naomi is able to help Utra extract a single dose of poison from the diminutive ice spider. Which has begun to construct a delicate lace of frozen silk within its enclosure. A transparent odorless viscous liquid at the bottom of a vial. Only rarely known to cause paralysis it is not recommended one touch or drink the substance.

21. - Top - End - #81
    Dwarf in the Playground

Planetar

Nightfall

The last of the day’s dim light falls beneath the horizon. Plunging the world into near total darkness. Clear skies allow for an unobstructed view of a vast starscape. It will become colder as the night goes on. Nocturnal predators awaken, emerging from their hiding places in their multitudes.

A comfortable camp can be established with a DC 15 survival check

The camp can be secured against predators with a DC 20 survival check

22. - Top - End - #82

AssassinGuy

"Skar, Utra, the floor is yours."

Djin strips any other weapon he can see on the orc and looks at the darken skies, taking his liquid sunlight neckie out to illuminate the surroundings.

"Light's gone out. Now, where do we set up camp? Maybe in a cavern if we are lucky."
    Last edited by Yas392; 2024-05-04 at 07:25 PM.

23. - Top - End - #83
    Dwarf in the Playground

Planetar

Vignette

Grumbles From Below

The orcish day begins, with bells clanging in far off caves. Ashrog never got the prize, no one honors him. Lo, he has no deeds for which to boast. His skin remains intact, uncut. Least amongst his kind, he is seen to have earned his place deep in the mine. Toil he does, ripping coal from the rock. Where each cartload goes he does not know. Unlike Progen who pushes the cart, Ashrog has not seen the surface in years. Progen uses all his strength and stamina to keep the cart moving forward. For starting it again from a full stop is hellish labour. Up the spiraling ramps he slogs, tiny steps powered by muscular thighs.

Progen must face inspection when he reaches the surface, a cavernous fold of overlapping rock jutting from the base of a mountain. Both he and his load are interrogated, any imperfection scrutinized by a lumbering bare-chested ogre. Who wipes perspiration from his face and body despite the frigid temperature. The ogre Oo Tong Otal is surrounded by armed and armored orcs, who laugh when he laughs and sneer when he sneers. All finding Progen’s passivity a source of fun. Finally permitted to continue on his way, mockery is to be endured as all watch him press shoulder to cart, vessels in his neck and arms bulging under the strain. With enough effort the cart inches forward, plodding along its path.

Out into the open air of a cold still moonless night Progen advances towards a ring of six timbers rising twenty to thirty feet overhead, arranged 15 feet apart in a crude circle. Each pillar is as wide as a human’s wingspan, having been driven into the ground with tremendous force. Counting his steps as he cautiously enters the circle, Progen stops at a prescribed location. Giant silver rings crowning each timber look down upon him from all directions. Beginning a clockwise succession as each ring shines with a dazzling light. Silver rings crowning each timber glow in succession and then all at once. Turning night to day and then back into night. Progen and his cart, no where to be seen.

24. - Top - End - #84
    Dwarf in the Playground

Planetar

"Skar, Utra, the floor is yours."

Djin strips any other weapon he can see on the orc and looks at the darken skies, taking his liquid sunlight neckie out to illuminate the surroundings.

"Light's gone out. Now, where do we set up camp? Maybe in a cavern if we are lucky."
    A nearby cavern is identified by Djin. Its elevated position will keep out all but the most determined predators. A narrow opening provides an excellent defensive position offering both cover and concealment.

25. - Top - End - #85

AssassinGuy

Djin relays his findings to his group. When it is the time to settle in for the night, he watches the group's back while they manhandle the orc into the cavern with his silver dagger still in hand.
    Last edited by Yas392; 2024-05-04 at 07:40 PM.

26. - Top - End - #86
    Dwarf in the Playground

Planetar

Djin relays his findings to his group. When it is the time to settle in for the night, he watches the group's back while they manhandle the orc into the cavern with his silver dagger still in hand.
    Beyond the narrow passage, not five feet high nor wide, is a natural cavern. Forty feet across in both directions with enough headroom for all to stand. The room is divided equally into two distinct areas. The area nearest the entrance is dry, the ground is level and the ceiling is at its highest. The area deeper into the cave is wet, the ground is slippery and uneven and the ceiling is low with dripping stalactites. Falling water heated by geothermal activity warms the cavern to a comfortable temperature. A constant trickle runs ever down the slightly sloping rock, dropping off into a pit of unfathomable depth.

27. - Top - End - #87

Utra takes Naomi up on her offer with a quick, silent nod of appreciation, and lags behind the rest of the group to take a sample of the web itself as well in addition to jotting down a painstakingly detailed description of both the little creature and the structure, location and size of its web in her book, as a suitable campsite is secured and the Orc is carried off. She might as well make good use of the last light of the day.

Once both vials are sealed and stashed away, she rejoins the others, uite pleasantly surprised. Excellent find, Master Djin. he commends the man (she will have to remember and do the same in her report to Zipnog, certainly). The presence of natural heat might yet prove useful if we wish to establish an outpost later, hm, the governance would likely be amenable to the idea, if notified of the mineral deposits… she muses on. A good way to keep operations as covert as desired too, given the lack of smoke. We might want to explore how much of the expedition's manpower and gear we can fit in spaces so heated. Mayhaps if repairs should fail… But it is too early to entertain such scenarios, is it not. a mark is added to her crude map of the canyon, as well as to the legend – "hot springs; useful", she scribbles beside it.

Spoiler: TELEPATHY in ORC!
    Show

And then, I see you are awake, Taknorogan, is that right. Seems like we endured you just fine. More willing to talk, now. she asks, her intonation flat as ever.

28. - Top - End - #88
    Bugbear in the Playground

Seeing the orc awaken he asks in OrcYou ready to talk like civilized folk and not idiots? There was no need for that nasty unpleasantness from the other day now was there. Nod if you're willing to now talk
    Its not about having good grades It's about passing the semester

Currently Playing

Sorin Dalmark
    Nicholas (Nick if he likes you) Lorchester
    Jeqem Ashthorn

29. - Top - End - #89

AssassinGuy

"I am going to take a dip once this orc is conked out again. Do we have any means to create a fire to warm us up without magic?"

Still armed, Djin alternates his pupils between the opening and the orc.
    Last edited by Yas392; 2024-05-05 at 05:46 PM.

30. - Top - End - #90
    Titan in the Playground

PirateWench

Once inside the cave Naomi collects debris that might burn and starts a fire with her Flint n steel