New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 33 of 50 FirstFirst ... 8232425262728293031323334353637383940414243 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #961
    Orc in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Default Re: Worse Than the Disease OOC

Quote Originally Posted by u-b View Post
    A question to Gnomes then: what it would take Tariq to make some multi-flechette rounds for the shotguns? Sean can request bullet compontnts and empty casings brought from Gunmetal (do they sell empty casings?), so that should be some materials, likely enough to do stuff with Quick Gadgeteer. Or he can request complete shots to refill, if that would be better. How much time it will take to make, say, 100 of them (the cost is $40 apiece)? I'm also thinking what else to request of Tariq and if he would even be willing to spend a day working (i.e. not resting) some time soon.

As for multi-flechette rounds, I have this simple math I want to double-check:
    1. As per HT, 12G 2.75" contains 20 flechettes doing 1d+1 pi-.
    2. Would 12G 2.50" contain 17 flechettes doing 1d+1 pi-? Math is based on RoF difference of those shots (x9 for 2.75" and x8 2.50").
    3. Would 10G shot for our Winchester shotguns contain 28 flechettes doing 2d-1 pi-? Math is based on RoF difference of those shots (x9 for 12G and x13 for 10G, and differece in damage).

I think we also keep Chalmers informed that we did this and that, are sort of fine, waiting for updates from him and will provide ours as appropriate.
    At $40 apiece, he needs $4 worth of parts. Base skill 12, +2 for inventing at that price point, +1 for TL 7, +1 for Attentive gives base skill 16. This would mean that he could pretty reliably crank out a round every 2d minutes, although there is a decent chance the rounds produced would have one or more bugs. Spending twice as long and investing twice as much in parts increases base skill to 18, reducing the risk of bugs and increasing the potential for multiple copies. With averages, 14 minutes for 2 rounds (assuming one copy), should take 12ish hours and $400 in parts.

On the other point, he needs to spend several days recovering before doing that, at least getting to 6 hp, and preferably fully recovered.

2. - Top - End - #962
    Ettin in the Playground

I think we can afford to pay $16 a pop (I'll buy a whole round plus $6 worth of steel and tooling per shell), so no problem in there. Time-wise, we'll have to wait until the logistical ops are finished and then there might or might not be delay sending the power plant team out. Sean would prefer to do it sooner rather than later, to have more of us closely around, but a few days should not matter too much. We'll see how Tariq feels by that time.

The interesting thing is the Glock. In its broken condition, it's worth about $2365. We can make it x4 by fixing it (as done by Richard) or use it as materials for making a .40 S&W version (as rebuilt by Tariq). The later would be a noticiably better pistol overall and have a benefit of not requiring more parts as that one thing would by itself be more than enough to give a bonus. Maths, anyone?

I'm writing 80 rifle cartridge casings collected on the site, that should be about right. Also checking with the GM about the body armors that Stone and his bodyguard were wearing and whether thay are part of those 20 sentry armors or something else.

The current proposal is here. Notably, we are selling:
    1. The revolvers (these are not very good; could probably be used to make better ones, but we probably will find more of these and revolvers are not our top priority anyway).
    2. The SMG (this we totally don't need).
    3. The landmines Tariq has taken from the Radar Base minefield.
    4. Diehl DM51s (these are good, but we can make more in due time).
    5. Assorted garbage (but do check if you like).
    6. Still have two fancy knives for sale, amounting to $960 total, in case the list should be adjusted (e.g. a revolver kept for Glock-fixing).

Buying weapons, armor, ammo (including materials) and a load of TNT for Tariq.
    Last edited by u-b; 2022-01-10 at 10:58 AM.

3. - Top - End - #963
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Shoot Da Moon View Post
    Okay, then you get one roll per day.
    Gotcha, will do.

4. - Top - End - #964
    Ogre in the Playground

Day passed, Tariq recovers HP. Eat meals. Sean's deal and plans underway. Richard makes some discoveries.
    Anachronism will never high-light the folly of my convictions!

5. - Top - End - #965
    Orc in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Day passed, Tariq recovers HP. Eat meals. Sean's deal and plans underway. Richard makes some discoveries.
    If that's the end of day 1 of recovery, Tariq is at -2 hp, and has already made the rolls for the next day.

6. - Top - End - #966
    Ogre in the Playground

Okay, next day...

7. - Top - End - #967
    Orc in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Tariq continues resting, and is up to 0 hp with the previously made recovery rolls.

8. - Top - End - #968

Getting clearance and keeping in touch with the team requires a roll against Savoir-Faire (Military), or Soldier.)
    Hm. Richard doesn't have either skill. Tariq has Soldier, but I suppose since this is the day he's healing up to 0hp he can't do it. I suppose that means either Richard or Sean will have to default Savoire-Faire (IQ-4) - we have the same IQ I believe, and Richard's doing intel work, so I guess Sean should roll?

9. - Top - End - #969
    Ettin in the Playground

@GM: Will you allow this technique of using a tree and a rope to get a rifle's rcl down to that of a comparable machine gun (i.e. 3 down to 2) at the cost of some time to set up the whole thing and some limited maneuverability with the line of fire?

10. - Top - End - #970
    Ogre in the Playground

@GM: Will you allow this technique of using a tree and a rope to get a rifle's rcl down to that of a comparable machine gun (i.e. 3 down to 2) at the cost of some time to set up the whole thing and some limited maneuverability with the line of fire?
    That looks more like bracing (+1) and maybe increasing Acc than changing Rcl.

11. - Top - End - #971
    Ettin in the Playground

That looks more like bracing (+1) and maybe increasing Acc than changing Rcl.
    Bracing it surely is, but I was hoping to have it also reduce the upwards kick, not unlike a tripod mount (and maybe affecting ST requirements, also as a tripod mount). Can certainly live without it, no big problem there.

UPD: Looking at it in more detail, I don't see anything an about tripods being good for rcl, only that all LMGs coming with bipods (which by the rules are worse at amending ST requirements) and having rcl 2 for some reason (presumably, it includes them being heavier and thus more controlable) and that the weapons normally coming with tripods have the same rcl 2 with much more powerful rounds.
    Last edited by u-b; 2022-01-13 at 12:37 PM.

12. - Top - End - #972
    Ogre in the Playground

Another day passed?

13. - Top - End - #973
    Ettin in the Playground

Yeah. I think so. How about logistics? Do the goods requested arrive?

14. - Top - End - #974
    Orc in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Another day passed?
    Day 61, Tariq succeeded his recovery roll, physician failed, now at 2 hp.

15. - Top - End - #975
    Ogre in the Playground

Yeah. I think so. How about logistics? Do the goods requested arrive?
    On day 61.
    Mark off the emails eaten by everyone.

16. - Top - End - #976
    Ettin in the Playground

Mark off the emails eaten by everyone.
    Errr... okay.

Spoiler
    Show

17. - Top - End - #977
    Ogre in the Playground

Stupid auto-correct.

18. - Top - End - #978
    Ettin in the Playground

(OC: What kind of TL 8 things do you want to buy?)
    1. Trauma plates. We want up to 7 total, if they let us. These are not hugely expensive, but great value, and we can forfeit most of the rest of of the weapons and armor to have them.
    2. Maybe one concealable vest, especially if we got all 7 trauma plates.
    3. As for gun accessories, Sean wants IR laser / IR tactical light and better optics for his rifle.
    4. We'd want some general accessories instead of the rest of gun accessories. Either night-vision goggles (1+) or short-range tactical radios (3+).
    5. Something suitable against armored vehicles, but this really can wait. If they let us, our preferences are:
    5.1 APDSDU+P rifle ammo.
    5.2 APDS+P rifle ammo.
    5.3 RPG-7, preferably fine.

Any more purchases, and they will need further favors or earning citizenship.
    Anything specific they want done for either of those? We can transfer our sources (papers and men) if that makes any difference. Would running some hydro power for their city do the trick?

19. - Top - End - #979
    Ogre in the Playground

1. Trauma plates. We want up to 7 total, if they let us. These are not hugely expensive, but great value, and we can forfeit most of the rest of of the weapons and armor to have them.
    2. Maybe one concealable vest, especially if we got all 7 trauma plates.
    3. As for gun accessories, Sean wants IR laser / IR tactical light and better optics for his rifle.
    4. We'd want some general accessories instead of the rest of gun accessories. Either night-vision goggles (1+) or short-range tactical radios (3+).
    5. Something suitable against armored vehicles, but this really can wait. If they let us, our preferences are:
    5.1 APDSDU+P rifle ammo.
    5.2 APDS+P rifle ammo.
    5.3 RPG-7, preferably fine.

Anything specific they want done for either of those? We can transfer our sources (papers and men) if that makes any difference. Would running some hydro power for their city do the trick?
    You can buy 2 sets of trauma plates. That is, a plate for front and back, twice.

One concealable vest is okay.

Laser, tactical light and optics are okay.

Two NVGs and 2 short-wave radios are available.

A RPG-7 is available, but it's merely good quality, not fine.

Spend the total in bullets and barter goods.

Running hydro power to their city or wiping out another slaver camp would get their gratitude. So would getting them large amounts of food and/or gasoline.
    Last edited by Shoot Da Moon; 2022-01-16 at 07:04 PM.

20. - Top - End - #980
    Ettin in the Playground

So, people, it would seem our authorization is not for a given value of goods, but for a set number of configurable positions of given categories. This means we don't get all the things that we want, but we get to choose some other things that are lower priority if we can think of something we will find useful. I'd like your input about your wishes, preferences and ideas for stuff to buy given the positions mentioned. Not sure if we have funds for all of that, but we can curtail the list after we have it.

In particular:
    1. Should we go for a suit of combat armor for Richard and maybe Tariq? That would be Assault Vest with a plate and Ballistic Leggings (I think no point getting DAPs). The areas with improved protection would be groin and legs. Also, we can get two helmets with visors, so at least that is good.
    2. Assuming we get a RPG-7, any preferences w.r.t. the second weapon and the sidearms? We might try to get Richard a powerful pistol and a Bulletproof Shield or a Large Entry Shield to use in case we are to storm a place like a Shelter.
    3. Any gun or personal accessories anyone can think of?

That is, a plate for front and back, twice.
    Are these interchangeable? Meaning, can we get four plates and wear them as front? Also, are the plates for Assault Vest interchangeable with those for Concealable Vest?

Also, what about high-tech ammunition? Any purchase limit on APDSDU+P?

UPD: What about the weather? When can Sean expect to no longer require electrical heating?
    Last edited by u-b; 2022-01-17 at 01:55 AM.

21. - Top - End - #981

So, people, it would seem our authorization is not for a given value of goods, but for a set number of configurable positions of given categories. This means we don't get all the things that we want, but we get to choose some other things that are lower priority if we can think of something we will find useful. I'd like your input about your wishes, preferences and ideas for stuff to buy given the positions mentioned. Not sure if we have funds for all of that, but we can curtail the list after we have it.

In particular:
    1. Should we go for a suit of combat armor for Richard and maybe Tariq? That would be Assault Vest with a plate and Ballistic Leggings (I think no point getting DAPs). The areas with improved protection would be groin and legs. Also, we can get two helmets with visors, so at least that is good.
    2. Assuming we get a RPG-7, any preferences w.r.t. the second weapon and the sidearms? We might try to get Richard a powerful pistol and a Bulletproof Shield or a Large Entry Shield to use in case we are to storm a place like a Shelter.
    I'm always up for getting Richard better armour, and that idea of a good pistol paired with a shield sounds pretty interesting - although to double-check, GM are we using the damage to shields rule (so shields can be used to defend against bullets, but the shield takes damage/can be overpenetrated)? If not, not much point having a shield at this point.

22. - Top - End - #982
    Ogre in the Playground

In particular:

Are these interchangeable? Meaning, can we get four plates and wear them as front? Also, are the plates for Assault Vest interchangeable with those for Concealable Vest?

Also, what about high-tech ammunition? Any purchase limit on APDSDU+P?

UPD: What about the weather? When can Sean expect to no longer require electrical heating?
    1. You can buy two of those suits.
    2. A shield is fine. You can buy two.
    3. I'll leave that to the other players.

Plates are the same, front or back. They're the same thing, just put in a different pocket. Interchangeable.

High-tech ammo is far less common than standard bullets, even in Gunmetal. Apply the Cost Factors to the usual $10 per cartridge value. The buying limit is probably two magazines worth of the special ammo, so ~40 to 60.

Currently, Sean only needs his heated clothing at night. But keep that heated clothing in good condition and reliable storage, because he may come across a cold spot or winter comes again.

23. - Top - End - #983
    Ettin in the Playground

Speaking about a "good" pistol, would Richard prefer...
    1. A .40 S&W doing 2d+2 pi+ rcl 2 with a load of 16 rounds (ST 8 required) or...
    2. A .50 AE doing 4d pi+ rcl 4 with a load of 8 rounds (ST 12 required)?

Currently, Sean only needs his heated clothing at night. But keep that heated clothing in good condition and reliable storage, because he may come across a cold spot or winter comes again.
    He will wear 24/7 for the time being, just switching the heating off for the day and maybe removing the battery to get a lighter load for the action.

Supposing we can have two of these things/sets...
    1. Ballistic Helmet + Tinted Visor, TL8 from HT70
    2. With an integrated Tiny Radio, TL8 from HT38 featuring free Basic Encryption HT211 and operating at frequencies compatible with our big thing
    3. With an integrated Tactical Headset, TL8 from HT39

Can we:
    1. Cram it into 5.4 pounds and/or $10400 as per Combination Gadgets HT10 (I am not sure a hemlet would be a "gadget" but it is definitely a "housing")?
    2. Use it with night-vision goggles with visor either opened or closed?

24. - Top - End - #984
    Ettin in the Playground

Running hydro power to their city or wiping out another slaver camp would get their gratitude. So would getting them large amounts of food and/or gasoline.
    1. Would small mobile camps count? I mean like the roaming ones Stone has controlled over the radio. We probably would be unable to hit all of them (they'll run away), but we plan to hit at least one.
    2. Could food / gasoline be simply used (1:1 or otherwise) for buying high-tech equipment when transacted in batches over a certain amount or is it more tricky than that?

25. - Top - End - #985

Speaking about a "good" pistol, would Richard prefer...
    1. A .40 S&W doing 2d+2 pi+ rcl 2 with a load of 16 rounds (ST 8 required) or...
    2. A .50 AE doing 4d pi+ rcl 4 with a load of 8 rounds (ST 12 required)?
    Oh, if we can get it definitely the Desert Eagle - Richard has enough ST to use it, and given how we've been coming up against tougher enemies recently the extra punch is definitely preferred (the USP is an all-round improvement over his current Government, but it's a fairly minor jump compared to the DE).

EDIT: Hm. Looking at the weight situation, and switching out the TL5 studded skirt and the concealable vest w/ steel plate for ballistic leggings and an assault vest w/ trauma plates brings Richard's combat load to 64.63lbs (from 52.63) and into medium encumbrance. Also making the Government -> Desert Eagle switch makes it 66.83lbs, although at the least changing from mail coif+steel mask to ballistic armour+visor would bring it to 65.23lbs (plus the weight of anything built into the helmet or additional gear).

It might just be an acceptable cost (another -1 dodge hurts and -1 move is a bit of pain, but it's manageable), and does mean that he can fit in a medium entry shield without shifting encumbrance again (or a large if a quarter pound is shaved off his load elsewhere). Alternatively, I could deviate from my plan saving my character points for +1 IQ to mitigate things a little - +1 ST would make the non-shield combat load back to being light (with 2.67lbs for other new purchases, going to medium when he uses a shield), while +1 BM would just mitigate the reduced move.

I'm still in favour of the better (but heavier) gear, just thinking about the best way to deal with it.
    Last edited by Volthawk; 2022-01-17 at 08:54 AM.

26. - Top - End - #986
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Volthawk View Post
    I'm still in favour of the better (but heavier) gear, just thinking about the best way to deal with it.
    If Richard is templated, look at what his template says. If Lifting ST is in there, you can buy it instead. Much cheaper.

27. - Top - End - #987

If Richard is templated, look at what his template says. If Lifting ST is in there, you can buy it instead. Much cheaper.
    I'd considering Lifting ST, but then I saw it was exotic (I'd forgotten about the template thing). However, Richard was only roughly based off the Trooper template (with some modifications for his social things) rather than building directly off it, but in any case Trooper doesn't get Lifting ST so it doesn't matter.

28. - Top - End - #988
    Orc in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Tariq would be interested in a better handgun (perhaps the .40 S&W) to replace his revolver, and better armour that makes him less likely to get snipered again.

29. - Top - End - #989
    Ettin in the Playground

High-tech ammo is far less common than standard bullets, even in Gunmetal. Apply the Cost Factors to the usual $10 per cartridge value. The buying limit is probably two magazines worth of the special ammo, so ~40 to 60.
    Let's say 20+20 for the rifles and 10+10 for handguns? Speaking about the later, saboted pistol-type rounds seem to be sort of an actual thing, so maybe Gunmetal has those in APDS variety and not experimental? UPD: Ah, damn, HT says "not in pistol calibers", but it specifically says about "availability", not about "possibility". Can Tariq make some experimental rounds given the cores?

Quote Originally Posted by Volthawk View Post
    (the USP is an all-round improvement over his current Government, but it's a fairly minor jump compared to the DE)
    Was thinking more of a Glock 22 to be rebuild from our broken Glock 17. But that can go to Tariq, so nothing is wasted. I'll see if we can cram it all in.

Quote Originally Posted by GnomesofZurich2 View Post
    Tariq would be interested in a better handgun (perhaps the .40 S&W) to replace his revolver, and better armour that makes him less likely to get snipered again.
    Can Tariq rebuild a broken Glock 17 into a functional Glock 22? If so, there's your pistol and Richard will get a new one. Tatiq will get a plate 100%. The question is whether he wants more than that. The vest + the plate will give DR 37 to the front torso only. That's something Sean will have for himself. Adding more weight could give you better groin and limb armor, but "better" in a sense that it would stop some 3d+, not quite stop rifle bullets.
    Last edited by u-b; 2022-01-17 at 01:21 PM.

30. - Top - End - #990

Was thinking more of a Glock 22 to be rebuild from our broken Glock 17. But that can go to Tariq, so nothing is wasted. I'll see if we can cram it all in.
    Oh yeah, I forgot about the many Glock variants - I just skimmed the weapon tables pdf and saw the USP as the only .45 pistol with the stats you mentioned, forgetting that High-Tech is the book where at least half of the gun options are the variants listed in the text.

The question is whether he wants more than that. The vest + the plate will give DR 37 to the front torso only. That's something Sean will have for himself. Adding more weight could give you better groin and limb armor, but "better" in a sense that it would stop some 3d+, not quite stop rifle bullets.
    For reference, Gnome, the main difference between our current vests and the proposed assault vests are 6 more pounds of weight in exchange for the armour (same amount of protection as the concealable) extending to the groin, and ballistic leggings are 12/5F leg DR weighing 8 pounds. Switching vests is mainly worth it if you're otherwise not going to have groin DR (like Richard, who's switching out leg/groin armour for leg armour) and the leggings are just a matter of what works for you in terms of the encumbrance/DR balance.