New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Default 5e homebrew class feature PEACH

So me and my DM are home-brewing stuff for his campaign, and I had an idea for an enchanter special ability. It's either highly niche or easily exploitable, but I honestly can't tell.

Cameraderie- When you cast an enchantment spell of 1st level or above that charms a creature, the target and you gain temporary hit points equal to your proficiency bonus. When the spell ends, if the target still has these temporary hit points, it doesn't know it's been charmed (although it's attitude to you reverts to normal).

Currently it's attached to a Druid Circle and a Witch Coven (homebrew class currently in play test) rather than Bard or anything more charm based. Thoughts?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: 5e homebrew class feature PEACH

It feels fine to me. You already closed the main loophole (Friends is a cantrip, and without the "1st level or higher" clause it'd be spammable for easy THP) but even that's not the end of the world.

I'd actually lift the school restriction-just make it so whenever you cast a slotted spell that Charms someone, you get the benefits.

There MAY be some Invocation or something that allows for at-will Charming... But even if there is, 2-6 THP on the entire party is a small defensive benefit, and very unlikely to break anything. Plus you said this is on a Druid.
    I have a LOT of Homebrew!

Spoiler: Former Avatars
    Show
    Spoiler: Avatar (Not In Use) By Linkele
    Show

Spoiler: Individual Avatar Pics
    Show

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: 5e homebrew class feature PEACH

A few suggested changes:

Cameraderie- When you cast a spell using a spell slot of 1st level or above that charms a creature, the target and you gain temporary hit points equal to your proficiency bonus plus twice the spell slot level. When the spell ends, if the target still has these temporary hit points, if the spell would inform the creature it was charmed it instead does not.

1: It is "using a spell slot" instead of "a spell of". This makes it clear that if you (say) can at-will cast a 3rd level charm spell, it doesn't grant temporary HP.

2: I added 2* spell slot level to the temporary HP. I might even strip the proficiency bonus. Make the gain proportional to the cost.

3: "It doesn't know" becomes "it is not informed". I think this is your meaning: if the creature was told it was charmed in the original version, it would suddenly forget. I just want to remove the "the creature knows it was charmed" from the spell you modify.

I guess this makes something like domination questionable. When you dominate a creature, should they become aware that they where a puppet?