New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Looking to find healing for our warforged

Put simply, our party's warforged is having a bit of a hard time getting healed. Are there any simple options for healing? Our party is a druid, a weird dread necromancer, a warforged fighter, and a barbarian, so the simple answer of a wand of repair light damage doesn't quite fit here. The best we could do there would be an endless wand, which is a bit lacking on its own.

Would folks have any simple suggestions?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Looking to find healing for our warforged

The first idea that comes to mind is to purchase a custom "repairing belt". The MiC has the "healing belt" item. It costs only 750gp, and has 3 charges which renew each day. For 1 charge you can heal 2d8, for 2 charges 3d8, and for 3 charges 4d8.

You can ask the DM to make a custom item from a magic item creator, that does the same thing, only with repair instead of healing.

Even if the custom job requires a higher price, on the long term it is usually quite good. Not perfect, and gor for low- mid level, but hopefully till then you'll manage to find other solutions.

I'll try and think of more ideas and come back to you on that.

1. Special projects:
    Campaign logs archive, Campaign planning log, Tactical mass combat Homebrew, A unique monsters compendium.
    2. My campaign logs:
    Three from a GM's POV, One from a player's POV. Very detailed, including design and GMing discussions.
    3. Various roleplay and real life musings and anecdotes:
    For those interested, from serious to funny!

Thanks for reading!

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

The Lesser Vigor spell from Spell Compendium should still work normally, right? Warforged heal half from healing spells, but the spell doesn't heal, it just gives fast healing that then functions normally. It's one of the best out-of-combat healing spells anyway, so hardly bad to prepare.
    Creator of the LA-assignment thread.

Join the new Junkyard Wars round and build with Cloaked Dancer and a companion creature!

Interested in judging a build competition on the 3.5 forums but not sure where to begin? Check out the judging handbook!

Extended signature!

4. - Top - End - #4

the druid vigor / lesser vigor /other "gives fast healing" spells works just fine? and at full capacity at that

5. - Top - End - #5

The wand of lesser vigor did slip my mind. It's been a bit too long since I've had a game. Thank you!

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

If the DM says that lessr Vigor does not work, a drow house insignia of Repair light damage is cheap (360gp) and heals for 1d8+1 per day.
    That said, I'm noticing the healing belt is still better value, even halved. Who authorized this?
    Resurrecting the Negative LA thread, comments and discussion are very welcome!
    Nice find! Have a cookie!
    Do you want to build monstrous characters with reasonable LA? Join the Monster Mash! Currently, round XII: One-Punch Monster!!! Come judge single-strike entries!
    Quote Originally Posted by H_H_F_F View Post
    3.5 allows you to optimize into godhood, yes, but far more importantly, it lets you optimize weak, weird, and niche options into relevance.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Dwarf in the Playground

Its not healing, but almost as good as - amulet of tears from magic item compendium is really good value. They could also take tomb tainted soul to be healed by the dread necromancer.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kol Korran View Post
    The first idea that comes to mind is to purchase a custom "repairing belt". The MiC has the "healing belt" item. It costs only 750gp, and has 3 charges which renew each day. For 1 charge you can heal 2d8, for 2 charges 3d8, and for 3 charges 4d8.

You can ask the DM to make a custom item from a magic item creator, that does the same thing, only with repair instead of healing.
    I play a Warforged in our group almost all the time, and this belt is one of the ways we manage it. We went for a full re-tooling though - instead of a "+2 Competence bonus to Heal checks" it grants a "+2 Competence bonus to Repair Checks", and instead of being able to channel the charges to damage undead, you can channel the charges to damage constructs.

Also, someone with the right ranks in certain skills can repair damage. There's a list on the ECS page 46. It takes 8 hours and "heals" the Craft Check - 15. There's a Warforge repair kit you can get that adds an extra +2 to those checks.

And, I usually take at least one level of Artificer for this. Even for a straight Fighter build, one level is worth the slight dip in HP and BAB for a couple infusions and the ability to use wands/scrolls even if you do nothing else with the class. Also the Artificer's Monocle gives you more to do out of combat.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Firbolg in the Playground

If you can justify saying that troll and human parts were used in the construction of the warforged (troll blood and human bones?), he could always take the Troll Blooded feat for Regeneration 1.

Perhaps nabbing a pet that has the Draconic Aura (Vigor) feat to give everyone nearby fast healing 1 up to half health?

Or better yet, both.

If you've got the cash to spare, either feat could be granted by various feat-granting items and effects, followed by a Dark Chaos Feat Shuffle or two to grab the feats you actually want.
    Last edited by MaxiDuRaritry; 2024-05-14 at 07:33 AM.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

If Tome of Battle is on the table, and you're any alignment other than Neutral, I'd suggest a short dip into Crusader for some low-ish level Devoted Spirit maneuvers and stances (Martial Spirit, Revitalizing Strike). The damage regained might not be huge individually, but it adds up, especially for something like a Warforged without Artificer support.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

Living constructs can be affected by spells that target living creatures as well as by those that target constructs. Damage dealt to a living construct can be healed by a cure light wounds spell or a repair light damage spell, for example, and a living construct is vulnerable to a harm spell. However, spells from the healing subschool provide only half effect to a living construct.
    I'm confused with the thread. Is it a setting specific thing that warforged can't be healed like normal?

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Darg View Post
    I'm confused with the thread. Is it a setting specific thing that warforged can't be healed like normal?
    Warforged in 3.5e get half healing from spells of the Healing subschool. If they eventually go warforged juggernaut, they will get none.
    Red Mage avatar by Aedilred.

Where do you fit in? (link fixed)

RedMage Prestige Class!

Best advice I've ever heard one DM give another:
    "Remember that it is both a game and a story. If the two conflict, err on the side of cool, your players will thank you for it."

Second Eternal Foe of the Draconic Lord, battling him across the multiverse in whatever shapes and forms he may take.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

Devil

Creatures of the Living Construct subtype only regain half HP from positive based healing spells.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

I mean, I get that, but it's still healing that can be shared with the group. In a group of 4 who evenly splits healing it's only a drop of 20% efficiency (25% costs or the equivalent of having 40 charges of a wand) and if they are the only one needing healing it's at most a drop of 50% (100% costs or 25 charges of a wand). It's not exactly prohibitively expensive unless the warforged is being too forward in their actions. But that's only if you want a shared resource. If it's that important to have monetary efficiency, the Dread necro needs a high CHA score so having them take at minimum a rank in UMD isn't much of an ask or the warforged fighter would greatly benefit from a level of rogue while also grabbing UMD themselves.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

Alternate (silly) option: with a Dread Necromancer in the party, make everybody else Necropolitan, and have the DN charnel touch them up to full HP after each combat. Saves a bunch of gold, which you can spend on slightly less efficient healing spells for you. If you're feeling frisky, see if you can Awaken Construct yourself, and become undead too.

16. - Top - End - #16

Quote Originally Posted by Gadora View Post
    Put simply, our party's warforged is having a bit of a hard time getting healed. Are there any simple options for healing? Our party is a druid,
    Druid casts Lesser Vigor, done? What’s simpler than that?

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Quertus View Post
    Technically half of 1 is .5 which is rounded down by default to 0. Only damage does a minimum of 1 by default.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Colossus in the Playground

Technically half of 1 is .5 which is rounded down by default to 0. Only damage does a minimum of 1 by default.
    So...

However, spells from the healing subschool and supernatural abilities that cure hit point damage or ability damage provide only half their normal effect to a warforged.
    Technically, the Vigor line of spells doesn't directly cure damage. It grants Fast Healing. Whether or not that counts is an ambiguity.

I think a good way to handle this would be to halve the duration of the Vigor line. That seems in line with the intent. (Adjust to taste for your power level, of course.)
    I have a LOT of Homebrew!

Spoiler: Former Avatars
    Show
    Spoiler: Avatar (Not In Use) By Linkele
    Show

Spoiler: Individual Avatar Pics
    Show

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by JNAProductions View Post
    So...

Technically, the Vigor line of spells doesn't directly cure damage. It grants Fast Healing. Whether or not that counts is an ambiguity.

I think a good way to handle this would be to halve the duration of the Vigor line. That seems in line with the intent. (Adjust to taste for your power level, of course.)
    Personally, I don't like that reductive reading as it requires ignoring parts of the facts. No matter the direction you come at it, the source of the healing is magical in nature, regardless of how it's being done. No magic = no healing. It'd be different if it were an instantaneous spell where the magical energy dissipates when the casting is complete.

20. - Top - End - #20

Personally, I don't like that reductive reading as it requires ignoring parts of the facts. No matter the direction you come at it, the source of the healing is magical in nature, regardless of how it's being done. No magic = no healing. It'd be different if it were an instantaneous spell where the magical energy dissipates when the casting is complete.
    So... Half the normal effect of Lesser Vigor, to you, is no healing at all when normally it would heal 10+1/CL?

Again, I proposed halving the duration-so a Lesser Vigor from a 1st level caster (or wand) would heal a Warforged for 5, instead of 11. Seems more in line with the intent.

Show
    Show

Show

21. - Top - End - #21

Spell slots only go so far.

I'll bring up a wand of lesser vigor as possible loot to our DM, as well as its potential problems, but our druid's forgotten their wand of cure light entirely, which would explain why healing's felt so tight. Everyone's already got a healing belt, but once those were expended, it got a little dire, especially with how there's not yet been a chance to rest.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Pixie in the Playground

DruidGirl

Given the composition of your group, here are some simple suggestions tailored to your group's capabilities that crafting or obtaining wands and scrolls can help with. Recovery potions can also help. These potions can be used by any character and are a great way to quickly heal a forged fighter during or between fights. It's worth considering equipping your warforge with special components that offer self-healing abilities, such as Docent of Repair. This can provide intermittent healing without requiring external spells or items.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Barbarian in the Playground

Do note that any source of healing that works in the Mournland also has full effect on warforged, on account of them both calling out the same subschool of magic. The healing subschool is functionally achieved by opening a conduit to the Positive Energy Plane, hence the placement in the conjuration school rather than necromancy. If you can find magic that doesn't do that (or healing that isn't magical), you should be golden. Goodberry wine (Player's Guide to Eberron, I believe? it spells out that goodberry's healing is from a transmutation effect) might help.

My first impulse is to ask your DM about psionic discipline equivalence and whether psychometabolism's healing subdiscipline (which 'usually falls short of divine magical healing, in direct comparisons', for what it's worth, XPH 57) would be closer to conjuration's healing subschool or to transmutation (which, fictionally, it is, at least). Then find a friend that can load the warforged up with body adjustment psionic tattoos, perhaps, or have someone train (even 1 rank) to Use Psionic Device to make dorjes work out. Heck, maybe find a way to cheat Use Psionic Device training onto your party.

Lee, above, mentions potions, and while that's a great suggestion, oil of repair light damage seems like the form factor that would come in... if you're going by the example set by Dungeons & Dragons Online: Stormreach, at least. If you're playing in a group with a warforged, then warforged-specific options like that should be available as they are in Eberron, or the Dungeon Master should have set better expectations.
    Last edited by Powerdork; 2024-05-15 at 10:38 AM.
    The future is bright.

24. - Top - End - #24

Quote Originally Posted by RedMage125 View Post
    Warforged in 3.5e get half healing from spells of the Healing subschool. If they eventually go warforged juggernaut, they will get none.

A) Is (Lesser) Vigor in the Healing subschool?

B) Does (Lesser) Vigor Heal?

If either of those is false, it should work fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Gadora View Post
    Spell slots only go so far.

I'll bring up a wand of lesser vigor as possible loot to our DM, as well as its potential problems, but our druid's forgotten their wand of cure light entirely, which would explain why healing's felt so tight. Everyone's already got a healing belt, but once those were expended, it got a little dire, especially with how there's not yet been a chance to rest.
    Oh, it's "heal the party", not just "heal the Warforged", that's lacking? Does the Druid actually have a wand that they've completely forgotten exists? Why "loot" instead of shopping? That may affect what solutions will work for you. What does "chance to rest" have to do with a Healing Belt? Once you get to rest, the Druid preparing lots of copies of Lesser Vigor should help. Why has there not been a chance to rest? Is dusting off the ol' clue-by-four supposed to sound like an important step in solving this problem?

Really, if you're having problems healing HP damage already, then "healing" in general (of stat damage, diseases, and other conditions) is likely going to become a problem. Maybe get the group to start putting thought into that now, before you need such things.
    Last edited by Quertus; 2024-05-15 at 01:00 PM.

25. - Top - End - #25

A) Is (Lesser) Vigor in the Healing subschool?

B) Does (Lesser) Vigor Heal?

If either of those is false, it should work fine.
    A is true, 100%.
    B is also true by a standard English reading of the spell.

If you have someone with 10/20 HP, you perform an action, and a minute later, they're at 20/20 HP, they've been healed.

Show
    Show

Show

26. - Top - End - #26

A is true, 100%.
    B is also true by a standard English reading of the spell.

If you have someone with 10/20 HP, you perform an action, and a minute later, they're at 20/20 HP, they've been healed.
    If I'm a Chronomancer, and I use Time Regression to return them to their former state, I don't expect them to be at 15/20 HP because of some stupid "healing is only half effective" rule. Same if this is a Paradox crossover - I don't expect their next Clone to start half-dead.

So... is "Heal" a reserved word / does the actual Warforged text actually say "Heal" or use any Reserved words? If so, we should use those; if not, I can only shrug and say I've never looked into it, but nobody's ever called shenanigans on a Fast Healing Warforged at any table I've been at.

But if it doesn't work, that kinda messes with my plans to run a Warforged Druid.

27. - Top - End - #27

If I'm a Chronomancer, and I use Time Regression to return them to their former state, I don't expect them to be at 15/20 HP because of some stupid "healing is only half effective" rule. Same if this is a Paradox crossover - I don't expect their next Clone to start half-dead.

So... is "Heal" a reserved word / does the actual Warforged text actually say "Heal" or use any Reserved words? If so, we should use those; if not, I can only shrug and say I've never looked into it, but nobody's ever called shenanigans on a Fast Healing Warforged at any table I've been at.

But if it doesn't work, that kinda messes with my plans to run a Warforged Druid.
    Is Time Regression a Healing Subschool spell? Because a quick googling says, no, it's a Psychoportation Power.

And Fast Healing is, generally, extraordinary-so if you have it from a template or whatever, it'd work just fine.

Show
    Show

Show

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

The goodberry spell doesn't have the healing subschool descriptor so it heals at 100% efficiency.