New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Halfling in the Playground

Default Re: Final Fantasy d6 Homebrew

Quote Originally Posted by wiimanclassic View Post
    Power has nothing to do with circle-less transmutation. It has to do with passing through the Gate. Just a minor fluff nitpick.
    I realize this, I just wanted the class to be based on FMA's alchemists, but I also wanted it's fluff to fit any FF setting without much tweaking.

2. - Top - End - #182
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dust View Post
    Both, in a way!
    If I had liked the prior way Jobs looked and worked I wouldn't have changed it, but I found making a character to be - frankly - a little boring, and there weren't enough options to helped bring a concept to life. Eventually you'd start taking job abilities you simply didn't want because nothing else appealed to you.
    The new set has its problems as well, but they're probably more manageable. It just feels wierd to work on something for hours a day, months at a time, and still remain unhappy with it. That's homebrewing for you!
    I personally like the old way, particularly the 5 attribute system. I never had any problem creating an old character and I've had players that said "this is literally the most fun cc process I have ever been in"

I agree that some of the extended abilities as shown in the underprepared link to the new book could liven the old system up... as far as teamwork attacks in the new system go I like them compared to the old system. I would have preferred you to use the concurrences houserule I had as a damage increase on limit breaks (e.g. a limit break only teamwork attack).

Monster creation in the unfinished book is great as is Martial Arts and the fact that you have guidelines for how many dice of damage are done at what levels.

I hadn't had the problem of of taking abilities that didn't appeal to me since I made "The Art of War" but of course that's completely irrelevant to your base system considering that it's actually homebrew.

3. - Top - End - #183
    Ettin in the Playground

BardGuy

Wait, the link to the unfinished work in progress is up?

4. - Top - End - #184
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Major View Post
    Wait, the link to the unfinished work in progress is up?
    Unfinished version posted a couple of months back:

Quote Originally Posted by IkeIllYu View Post
    Hey so when are you going to fix up the more current PDF? I wouldn;t mind a bestiary for my game.

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=205265
    Piratebold-Bard by Elder Tsofu | Backer #121 of the Giantitp Kickstarter | My homebrew
    Quote Originally Posted by OverlordJ View Post
    New law: Obey me or you'll be crushed by a MOUNTAIN.

5. - Top - End - #185
    Ettin in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Kobold-Bard View Post
    Unfinished version posted a couple of months back:
    Somehow missed it. The link doesn't work.

6. - Top - End - #186
    Bugbear in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

@ kobold: lol, forgot I posted that job. It looks like the master summoner ability has been misinterpeted. It was meant to make it 12 mp per eidolon rank, but I seemed to have phrased it spazzily...

will work on getting a picture, just give me time to dig out my graphics tablet...

mana is low on purpouse to offset the power of summons, so the summoner really works well about once per fight. I can raise it if it feels to low.

I chose white magic because the eidolons have a hell of a lot of offencive power, but again, I'll change it to a choice. the spell ammount is even less than that of a red mage, so...

rephrased version
    Spoiler
    Show
    Job: Summoner
    Not all how make pacts with eidolons are mages, and not all must sacrifice their destiny to manifest their pact. The horned summoners, also known as shamans in some parts of the world, are capable of bringing eidolons into the world trough sheer force of will. Though not inheritly magical, a summoners pact with these mystical beasts grants here limited magical power.

HP: +2
    MP
    : +2
    Weapons: Arcane, reach
    Armour: Light
    Skill points: 14
    ACC: 0 + dex
    EVA: 7 + dex or spr

Epic Ability
    : True summoning: - self, instant
    The summoner is capable of bringing the full power of an Eidolon into the world, alowing it to manifest itself in all of its glory. this ability takes at least 3 destiny. The Eidolon summoned has doubled stats, and remains summoned for 3 + the number of destiny points used. The eidolon can use it's Astral flow ability at any time, however this dismisses the Eidolon. Summoning an Eidolon in this way has a risk however, as if the eidolon is reduced to 0 hp, then the summoner looses the ability to call upon it permenantly, and even if it survives it is unavaliable for a number of days equal to it's tier + the number of rounds it prematurely used it's Astral flow ability.

Inate Ability: Summoning Magic: - standard, self
    A summoner is able to summon Eidolons through will-power, like a mage casts a spell. the number of eidolons she can summon is shown below. This pact also grants the summoner a limited amount of white magic. An Eidolon summoned this costs for 16 * it's rank * the number of rounds the summoner intends to keep it in the world (which can be greater than 3) An eidolon summoned in this way cannot use it's astral flow ability. In addition, the white mage must wait the eidolon's tier * how many rounds greater than 3 it was summoned before summoning another, twice as much if the eidolon was reduced to 0 hp, and she cannot summon the same eidolon more than once each encounter. A summoner can summon one of these Eidolons for 2 destiny points as opposed to 3, but extra destiny points can be used to buy aditional summoning time. In addition, each summoner can choose either black or white magic when created, and they gain a small ammount of spells from their chosen discipline

[B] Eidolons*:
    Tier 1: 1 4
    Tier 2: 7 10
    Tier 3: 13 16
    Tier 4: 20 24
    Tier 5: 28

[B] spells (either white or black magic, chosen at creation)
    Tier 1: 1 3 6
    Tier 2: 8 11 13
    Tier 3: 16 18 21
    Tier 4: 23 25 26

* An Eidolon obtained in this way does not grant devotion as the summoner is not particularly dedicated to it so much as she is in contact with it. They are all personal. A summoner can still obtain eidolon's the standard way as well, where they grant devotion as normal.

Job Abilities:
    Charismagic: Same as Red Mage
    Master Summoner: Same as white mage. In adition, a summoner with this ability pays 12 * the eidolon's rank for summoning as opposed to 16 * the eidolon's rank.

Summoner's dedication - pasive:
    Normally, a summoned Eidolon has the same stats as the summoner. With this ability, the summoner has learnt to refocus her energies into the eidolon, allowing it to re-arange her stats (but not change the numeric values) when summoned. eg: she could use her spirit of 12 in place of her strength of 6 for the eidolon's strength. when involved in a party summon, this ability instead adds the summoners ability modifier to the relevant stats.

Faithfull summoner - passive
    The summoner has a deep connection to one of the eidolons that aid her, going beyond merely acomplices to become close companions. The summoner has the devotion for one of her eidolons. In addition, she can summon it for one round longer without any extra cost (through normal summoning or her own power)

Eidolon Extraction - slow action, varies:
    In an act of betreyal hurtful to both the eidolon and the summoner, she can call upon the eidolon and force it's powers away from it. This ability costs the ammount of MP to summon the eidolon for 1 round. this can either be used to summon another eidolon as though she had used 3 destiny points, or to imediatly use the Eidolon's Palanar flow. However, such an act of betreyal causes the bond between the summoner and the eidolon to be severed, meaning she loses the ability to summon that eidolon. It is possible for the link to be reforged, though rare. This can only be done once per session

Summoner's Mastery - standard action, short range.
    A summoner has a deep spirital connection to all the eidolons she encounters, and this can be trained further to give her a link that cannot be matched. If a summoner with this ability can touch an eidolon, they can attempt a negotiation test to banish it with a moderate dificulty, increased by one level for each rank it is above one. The summoner may instead attempt to take control of the eidolon, which adds 2 to the dificulty ranks of the negotiation test. If this sucseeds, then the eidolon is still banished, but the summoner also adds it to her own summoning list. for each sumoner in control of an eidolon,the dificulty class is increased by 1. A summoner may not try and take control of an eidolon called by another summoner, or a party eidolon

Cursed/Blessed summoning: An Eidolon summoned in this way can add either the effects of a Dark Knight's Mark of Domination or a Paladin's Astra abilities to an Eidolon's abilities, once per session. The ability used is selected when this ability is taken.

7. - Top - End - #187
    Titan in the Playground

Moogle Knight

Pics by CentraDragon & R0XAR respectively on dA

"It's not the size of the blade, it's how you use it."

The Moogle Knight (or Mog Knight) is a Moogle who has taken that unequivocally Mogish anything-is-possible spirit & just ran with it. While at first glance a Moogle wielding a sword or spear may seem strange (or even comical), these diminutive warriors can easily stand as equals with any Elvaan or Galka when it comes to swordplay; and anyone who laughs at them only does it once. They supplement their strikes with a series of unique techniques that ensure they are never at a disadvantage, and to become some of the finest warriors in the world.

Special Pre-requisite: To become a Moogle Knight the character must be a Moogle (unsurprisingly).

HP/Level: +6
    MP/Level: N/A
    Weapons: Blade, Reach, Huge
    Armour: Light, Medium, Heavy, & Shields
    ACC: 2+Str
    EVA 6+Dex or Int

Epic Ability: Ultima Charge Standard, Varies
    The culmination of a Moogle Knight's study of special martial manoeuvres is the ability to tap into the ancient power of Ultima. In a moment of almost unnatural focus the Knight calls the immense energy to their weapon, which then glows with perfect darkness.

They strike a single target within medium range; their blow never missing or being evaded (still roll 2d6 for damage purposes) & which ignores ARM & M. ARM and increases it's damage multiplier by one step (eg. 7*Str rather than 6*Str).

If the target is defeated then the power of Ultima lingers in the Moole Knight's weapon. Until they fail to defeat a foe or fail to make an attack of some kind against a creature with that weapon every round their attacks continue to strike at medium range & ignore 50% of the target's ARM & M. ARM.

Innate Ability: The Way of the Moogle Passive, Self
    The Moogle Knight dedicates their efforts to becoming a masterful warrior by blending their natural gifts & combat prowess.

The Moogle Knight favours tactics over luck; they may use their Int in place of their Spr for the purposes of skill checks. They also train in armour & may also Hover when in combat, as well as use their racial Flight ability while carrying all of their equipment & items (though they can not Fly during combat, just Hover).

Job Abilities:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Critical Haste: Instant, Self
    "A wounded moogle is more dangerous than a jackal, kupo."
    When the Moogle Knight is reduced to 25% of their HP or less in a combat, this ability triggers. The Moogle gains the Auto-Haste for as long as they are at 25% HP or below.

Mog Pocket Instant, Self
    "Don't ask me where I was keeping it, kupo."
    Moogles have some innate pseudo-mystical qualities, most of which defy all logic. The Moogle Knight may at the start of the session nominate one piece of equipment for use of this ability. For the remainder of the session they always have the chosen item to hand regardless of it's size or bulk, even if they just threw it or had it taken from them. This ability does not duplicate items, it simply returns it to them to the Moogle through some unknown means.

Mogri Warchant Instant, Group
    "LEEEEEEEEROOOOOOY JEEEEEEENKIIIIIIIINS, KUPO!!!!!!"
    With an almighty battle cry, the Moogle Knight spurs on their allies in battle. All allies (including the user) receive a bonus to their ACC & EVA scores equal to the Knight's Int Rating (minimum 1). This bonus lasts unil the start of the Moogle Knight's next turn.

This ability may be used 1/session, plus 1 additional time/session usable only when the Moogle Knight is below 25% HP.

Moogle Disarm: Instant, Single
    "Who's laughing now, you stupid kupo-head."
    When the Moogle follows an attack with a Disarm action they gain a +2 bonus on the opposed Str roll.

As well as disarming the opponent's weapon, they can instead choose to remove their armour. The opponent is treated as having only 1/2 the armour's ARM & M. ARM defences until they take a standard action to reattach it.

Moogle Guard: Standard, Self
    "Stone will be worn down, kupo, so you must instead become like steel."
    Taking a defensive stance, the Moogle Knight prepares to weather the incoming blows. The Moogle Knight's ARM & M. ARM increase by an amount equal to their Int Score for 3 rounds.

Moogle Lance: Standard, Single
    "His helmet was stifling, it narrowed his vision. And he must see far, kupo."
    The Mog Knight takes aim & hurls their weapon with deadly precision. This is a normal attack, except it can be done at medium range & deals only half damage. Reach weapons may be thrown at long range. The weapon must be reclaimed manually, unless the Moogle has an ally who is willing to return it to them, or they have the Mog Pocket ability.

Moogle Rush: Standard, Single
    "Why won't you just DIE, kupo!"
    The Moogle Knight swings their weapon with all their might, unleashing a devastating, if somewhat inaccurate strike. Their ACC score is halved & the attack cannot be a critical hit, but deals 150% damage & ignore 50% of the target's ARM score.

The Moogle Knight may use this ability 1/session for every point of their Str Rating.

Moogle Shield: Instant, Single
    "Your comrades are your life, watch their backs & they shall watch yours, kupo."
    Moogle Knights are ever vigilant for danger. With a sharp word of warning, their inherent magic defends an ally (including the Moogle Knight) from being afflicted by the next negative status effect to target them.

This defence remains until the ally is targeted by a negative status effect or for a number of rounds equal to the Moogle Knight's Spr Rating (minimum 1) before fading. The Moogle Knight may use this ability 1/session for every point of their Int Rating.

Moogle Aid: Slow, Self
    "I know I just said your comrades are your life, but you can't rely on them to be their all the time, kupo."
    This ability heals the Moogle 25% of their maximum hit points & removes all negative statuses.

The Moogle Knight may use this ability 1/session for every point of their Int Rating.

Pom-Pom Sway: Passive, Group
    "That's right, watch the pretty Pom-Pom, kupo."
    Mog Knight's learn to sway their Pom-Pom in a hypnotic fashion during combat to distract their foes, who suffer a -1 penalty to their EVA score against the Moogle Knight's weapon attacks (unless they are Blind, Mindless, a Boss or an End Boss).

Legendary Accessory: The Hero Gaol
    Moogle Knight only. +6 Str, +4 Int. The Moogle Knight gains the Dual Wield Shared Ability & as an Instant action may call the twin swords Ayvuir Red & Ayvuir Blue. They are Blade weapons with a Tier equal to the Moogle Knight's level/4 (rounded down, min. 1, max. 7). They both have the Indestructible ability. Red has the Flamestrike & Flameproof abilities, while Blue has the Icestrike & Iceproof abilities.

----------------
    Sorry it's late.

Thoughts?
    Last edited by Kobold-Bard; 2011-09-28 at 01:27 PM.
    Piratebold-Bard by Elder Tsofu | Backer #121 of the Giantitp Kickstarter | My homebrew

8. - Top - End - #188
    Troll in the Playground

I like the little guy! Definitely will use this homebrew in the future.
    I also can't shake the feeling the Moogle Knight is a bit overpowered somehow... but seeing how I'm very bad at judging these kinds of things. Maybe it's the pom-pom swaying AND Hover/Flight that are a bit too much all at once, both free and permanent, as parts of the same innate ability?
    Quote Originally Posted by on Dwarf Fortress succession games
    I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dwarf Fortress 0.40.01 bugs
    - If an adventurer shouts and nobody is around to hear it, the game crashes
    - War Dogs appear to run from themselves in terror
    - New tree generation frequently causes birds to explode

9. - Top - End - #189
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Musashi View Post
    I like the little guy! Definitely will use this homebrew in the future.
    I also can't shake the feeling the Moogle Knight is a bit overpowered somehow... but seeing how I'm very bad at judging these kinds of things. Maybe it's the pom-pom swaying AND Hover/Flight that are a bit too much all at once, both free and permanent, as parts of the same innate ability?
    I've got that feeling as well, but I'd rather put it all in & cut stuff out than go the other way.

Might make the Pom-Pom sway (sounds like the Moogle version of the Macarena) a job ability.

Ultima Charge is probably way too much too.

Edit:
    Changelog:
    - Made Pom-Pom Sway it's own ability.
    - Made Moogle Aid a Slow Action.
    - Made Mogri Warchant 1/session.
    - Depowered Moogle Disarm.
    - Got rid of excess abilities from the Ayvuir blades.

Tempted to do something about Ultima Charge, but I'll wait until I get some more feedback.
    Last edited by Kobold-Bard; 2011-09-15 at 04:59 PM.

10. - Top - End - #190

BlueKnightGuy

I like the mog knight, I just have one minor problem with the abilites as they stand:

The Moogle Knight swings their weapon with all their might, unleashing a devastating, if somewhat inaccurate strike. Their ACC score is halved & the attack cannot be a critical hit, but deal 200% damage & ignore 50% of the target's ARM score.

it's like darkside, but with more damage (ignoring armour) and less cost (half your acc as opposed to 25% of your maximum health), and the lack of criticals makes up for the 50& arm ignorance if the wielder has a reach weapon. maybe increase damage to 150%, or have the mog knight sacrifice armour for a little bit as well as reduced accuracy.

utima charge: this was fine, until I read the str/weapon damage TIMES level, as opposed to the pluss I thought it was. this gives a level 6 mog knight with s10 and a tier 3 weapon a base damage of 180 AND it carries on between targets AND it stuns the last victim. far to much compared to every other epic ability, far, far to much. (especially since, saying the knight never increased his strenght and just got a new weapon, at level 30 with a tier 7 weapon you deal 2.1k damage, which is opposed to everyone else's potential 500 + 2d6 with the same stat (and that's with ultima))
    Maximum damage for everyone else is stat times 50, not stat times tier times level, as that's obscene. maybe make it do stat times level damage at medium range, with the stunning and the bouncing?
    either way, the damage needs to drop

flight in armour: maybe if you limit armour to medium. also, no other class has access to every type of armour in the world, so maybe change this too. tbh, I'd recomend changing this to letting them fly in light armour, hover in everything else - the job abilities give them a vast array of usefull abilities to use in battle flight (and being immune to other mele characters on someone this string is wrong).

auto-haste, mog pocket, warchant, disarm, guard, lance and pom pom sway are all fine as far as I can see

mog aid: makes the monk ability chakra look like a bad joke. unlimited uses, and more effect is far to much. I'd definatly recomend changing this to be the same as chakra, not stepping all over it

so, in some areas this vastly overpowers every other class, with improved versions of all their abilitites and the most game rbeaking attack known to mankind. those issues really need to be adressed
    Last edited by BlackestOfMages; 2011-09-15 at 07:39 PM.

11. - Top - End - #191
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by BlackestOfMages View Post
    I like the mog knight, I just have one minor problem with the abilites as they stand:

The Moogle Knight swings their weapon with all their might, unleashing a devastating, if somewhat inaccurate strike. Their ACC score is halved & the attack cannot be a critical hit, but deal 200% damage & ignore 50% of the target's ARM score.

it's like darkside, but with more damage (ignoring armour) and less cost (half your acc as opposed to 25% of your maximum health), and the lack of criticals makes up for the 50& arm ignorance if the wielder has a reach weapon. maybe increase damage to 150%, or have the mog knight sacrifice armour for a little bit as well as reduced accuracy.

Thia was the sort of thing I was concerned about, similar, but overpowered abilities based on abilities I don't know very well I'll fix them all later on today.

utima charge: this was fine, until I read the str/weapon damage TIMES level, as opposed to the pluss I thought it was. this gives a level 6 mog knight with s10 and a tier 3 weapon a base damage of 180 AND it carries on between targets AND it stuns the last victim. far to much compared to every other epic ability, far, far to much. (especially since, saying the knight never increased his strenght and just got a new weapon, at level 30 with a tier 7 weapon you deal 2.1k damage, which is opposed to everyone else's potential 500 + 2d6 with the same stat (and that's with ultima))
    Maximum damage for everyone else is stat times 50, not stat times tier times level, as that's obscene. maybe make it do stat times level damage at medium range, with the stunning and the bouncing?
    either way, the damage needs to drop

Yeah I suck. Will change.

flight in armour: maybe if you limit armour to medium. also, no other class has access to every type of armour in the world, so maybe change this too. tbh, I'd recomend changing this to letting them fly in light armour, hover in everything else - the job abilities give them a vast array of usefull abilities to use in battle flight (and being immune to other mele characters on someone this string is wrong).

Paladin does, I'm pretty sure Fighter does too.

And you're not immune to melee. You can't fly in combat, just hover, and even if you could that's just a -4 to attack in this system for short range attacks.

auto-haste, mog pocket, warchant, disarm, guard, lance and pom pom sway are all fine as far as I can see

mog aid: makes the monk ability chakra look like a bad joke. unlimited uses, and more effect is far to much. I'd definatly recomend changing this to be the same as chakra, not stepping all over it

Yeah, I may not have read the Monk in a long time, so I'll fix this later.

so, in some areas this vastly overpowers every other class, with improved versions of all their abilitites and the most game rbeaking attack known to mankind. those issues really need to be adressed
    Right, thanks much.
    Last edited by Kobold-Bard; 2011-09-16 at 01:10 AM.

12. - Top - End - #192

BlueKnightGuy

sorry if what I said sounded grumpy - it reads that way when I was rereading it

also, love the new piratebold avatar

13. - Top - End - #193
    Titan in the Playground

sorry if what I said sounded grumpy - it reads that way when I was rereading it

also, love the new piratebold avatar
    Not at all. I still haven't redone Mog Aid just out of laziness, how does the rest look?

And yeah, it's pretty cool. My first ever custom avatar

(I'll post in the game tonight )
    Last edited by Kobold-Bard; 2011-09-20 at 04:30 AM.

14. - Top - End - #194

BlueKnightGuy

other than allowing ultima charge to be a critical (it's now gone to far the other way ), I like the changes. wild swing no longer makes dark knights want to stop these diminutive crettins into the floor, and the others are nice. and chaning mog aid will be a five second job

15. - Top - End - #195
    Titan in the Playground

Ok, Moogle Knight updated, thoughts anyone?

Also, something new to look over. Job Pools aren't necessarily balanced or fair towards all classes, they're just a first pass at it.

Yes I know the fact that there's multiclassing in the new version probably makes this irrelevant, but I wanted to make it nonetheless.

------------------

Final Fantasy III Job Changing

Intro

In this variant, there is no Freelancer job. Their Job abilities are now Shared abilities. This variant encourages less connection to a single job than the normal game rules; instead characters are able to change their skills as needed.

GMs are encouraged to consider the fact that characters can be "ready for anything" when setting challenges.

Characters may change jobs at will as a Slow Action (even in combat). When moving from one job to any other job the character accrues a certain number of Adjustment Points. The number of Adjustment Points accrued depends on various factors.

Rules

After a Jjob Change the character takes on the new HP, MP, ACC & EVA scores, and proficiencies for the new class. Their skill points do not change.

They gain the Epic & Innate ability of their new class & any Job abilities are changed to abilities of the new job (though Shared abilities are not changed).

Job Abilities & spells are the same each time a character changes into a class, and these should be recorded on the character sheet. The first time a character changes into a job they choose any new abilites & spells they have acquired since a previous level.

Max HP & MP (if applicable) are recalculated using their new scores (including being affected by Adjustment Points), but current HP & MP do not increase or decrease (so changing from a job with no MP score to one with an MP score leaves the character with 0 current MP).

After a Job Change if the character is now wearing armour or a shield that they are no longer proficient with they lose all benefits of it (ARM, M. ARM & any special abilities) & they take the normal penalties for wielding weapons they are no longer proficient with.

Player Choices

At first level a character is made as normal. Their job at level 1 is their Primary Job.

As well as their Primary Job the player chooses an additional Secondary Job at levels 6, 12, 18, 24 & 30. These Primary & Secondary Job choices are made even if the character is created above level 1, & once made these decisions cannot be changed.

Adjustment Points

Every Adjustment Point that the character accrues causes them to suffer a -1 penalty to their ACC & EVA scores & to all skills (to a minimum of 0 in all cases).

The job's HP/level & MP/level (if applicable) bonuses are reduced by 1 for every Adjustment Point (to a minimum of +1 each).

Adjustment points can be removed by:
    • Spending XP on a one for one basis.
    • A successful Travel or Full Rest removes 1 Adjustment Point.
    • Every time a character earns Destiny (the Destiny is not expended by this) they remove 3 Adjustment Points.
    • Using an ability affected by the Transformer ability (see below) removes 1 Adjustment Point.
    • At the end of a session they remove 1 Adjustment Point.

Adjustment Point Amounts

Changing from one job to another within the same Job Pool accrues 1 Adjustment Point. Most jobs are in multiple pools.

Changing between Job Pools accrues 2 Adjustment Points.

Changing between jobs during combat or under other equally stressful situations accrues 1 additional Adjustment Point.

Changing between Opposed Job Pools accrues 1 additional Adjustment Point.

Changing back into a Job the character has already been in & Job Changed out of this session accrues 2 additional Adjustment Points.

The Player never accrues any Adjustment Points when Job Changing into their Primary Job.

Job Changing into a Secondary Job accrues one less Adjustment Point than usual (minimum of 0).

Adjustment Points stack, so repeated Job Changing in a short space of time will accrue quite severe penalties & take a long time to remove them.

Job Pools & Opposed Jobs

Brains Opposes Brawn
    Engineer, Time Mage, Thief.

Brawn Opposes Brain
    Dragoon, Fighter, Monk, Ranger, Samurai.

Charismatic (Opposes Brawn)
    Entertainer, Gambler, Red Mage

Prismatic
    Blue Mage, Black Mage, Red Mage, White Mage

Darkness (opposes Light)
    Black Mage, Dark Knight, Ninja.

Gish
    Dark Knight, Paladin, Red Mage

Light (opposes Darkness)
    Paladin, White Mage

Monstrous
    Blue Mage, Dragoon.

Steady (opposes Swift)
    Geomancer, Ranger, Samurai.

Swift (oppoes Steady)
    Monk, Ninja, Thief

Unique Power
    Blue Mage, Entertain, Gambler, Geomancer.

New Shared Abilities

Transformer
    Spoiler
    Show
    You are adept at easing the fatigue caused by Job Changing.

1/session when you use any ability or spell that restores Hit Points to a target (including yourself) you may also remove a single Adjustment Point that they have accrued.

Versatile
    Spoiler
    Show
    You have an innate skill for diversity.

Select one of your Secondary Jobs when you take this ability (you must have at least one in order to take this ability). From now on this job is considered to be a second Primary Job for you, meaning you may job change into it without cost.
    Last edited by Kobold-Bard; 2011-09-21 at 11:04 AM.

16. - Top - End - #196
    Titan in the Playground

Swordchucks

Swordchucks were designed by an ancient warrior whose name was lost to history; he is now known simply as Fighter. Originally thought to be an idiot, his dedication to the ideal that is killing stuff that threatened him & his allies allowed him to distil the essence of combat into this miraculous weapon.

Swordchucks require the Swordchuck Mastery shared ability to wield safely. Anyone who attempts to use them in combat without this ability is cut to pieces and dies a bloody (if somewhat hilarious) death, no exceptions.

Swordchucks cost 1.5 times as much as a normal weapon of their tier & do double the base damage (since they have 2 blades) for a weapon of their tier, though they only recieve 1 set of enchantments as they are still a single weapon.

Swordchucks have the Foolproof ability. 1/session the user may choose to treat a fumble as a roll of 2, not an automatic miss. This is because to use them without dying you need to be such an expert that the occassional fumble is to be expected.

Swordchuck Mastery
    Spoiler
    Show
    You are proficient with Swordchucks & may use them without dying.
    Last edited by Kobold-Bard; 2011-09-23 at 09:56 AM.

17. - Top - End - #197
    Troll in the Playground

I guess they're STR-based like most weapons, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by on Dwarf Fortress succession games
    I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dwarf Fortress 0.40.01 bugs
    - If an adventurer shouts and nobody is around to hear it, the game crashes
    - War Dogs appear to run from themselves in terror
    - New tree generation frequently causes birds to explode

18. - Top - End - #198
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Musashi View Post
    I guess they're STR-based like most weapons, right?
    Yeah. Unless they say otherwise (eg. arcane & stealth), weapons are assumed to use Str.

19. - Top - End - #199
    Dwarf in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Could someone make a Holy Swordsman, based on Agrias, Delita and Orlandu from FF:Tactics? (yes technically Agrias and Delita were Holy Knights, but the Holy Swordsman, which Orlandu was, have more abilities)

Dust, can you talk a bit about the new version of the game you are working on? Is there any possibility that you could include a Holy Swordsman (or Holy Knight) job in it, along with a Dark Knight (Gafgarrion) job?

20. - Top - End - #200
    Orc in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

FFD6 Deck of Many Things(OH GOD WHY)

1.Defeat the next monster you meet alone to gain one level.
    2.You will be imprisoned. Ether by mundane or magical means.
    3.-1 penalty on all rolls to resist status effects or other negative effects.
    4.Avoid any situation you choose . . . once.
    5.Lose 1d6 experience points and you must draw again.
    6.Gain your choice of twenty-five pieces of jewelry or fifty gems.
    7.Lose 1d6 Intelligence. You may draw again.
    8.Gain 1d6 XP or two more draws from the deck.
    9.Gain a tier 5 weapon.
    10.One of your friends turns against you.
    11.Immediately lose all wealth and real property.
    12.Defeat a Varuna,2 if above level 20, alone or be forever destroyed.
    13.Immediately gain a +2 bonus to one ability score.
    14. All magic items you possess disappear permanently. This means items with clearly magical effects, such as spell effect, enhancer, status related abilities, element related abilities, drain, and monster killer abilities. Legendary items immune to this effect.
    15.Gain a +6 bonus on Negotiation checks plus a small keep.
    16.Know the answer to your next dilemma.

To determine what card is drawn roll 3d6. 3 is 1, 4 is 2, 5 is 3, so on and so forth.

Meh, anyone got ideas for different effects or how to make these work better for FFD6?

21. - Top - End - #201
    Titan in the Playground

Summoner (Dissidia Variant)

"Hear my call, and come forth!"

Espers may be called by anybody who successfully makes a pact with them. Certain White Mages are known to have a deeper connection with them, allowing them to call them forth more easily. However to these callers the power of the Espers a secondary defence behind their other skills, often being utilised only as a last resort when all else has failed.

Not so with Summoners. The Espers are the source of all their strength, they make pacts with many Espers and learn to develop these pacts to call forth lesser versions of the Espers known as Aeons, as well as gain other thematic abilities from their chosen Summon Creatures.

HP/Level: +3
    MP/Level: +2
    Weapons: Arcane
    Armour: Light
    ACC: 0 + Str or Spr
    EVA: 6 + Dex

Epic Ability: High Summoner Instant, Self
    The Summoner's eyes glow as they are flooded with energy from the Realm of Summons, their movements leaving behind a trail of sparks.

By spending three points of Destiny the Summoner can call an Esper they possess, but rather than the Esper taking their place in the battle, both remain in the fray. The Esper acts on the Summoner's turn after the Summoner acts, but is otherwise treated as a normal Esper summoning. If the Summoner is afflicted with the K.O. status the Esper is instantly dismissed.

High Summoner is not affected by any abilities that reduce the cost of summoning Espers, since this is a distinct ability. Likewise because it is a distinct ability High Summoner may not be used in conjunction with Party Espers.

Innate Ability: Summon Magic Varies, Varies
    The Summoner's power is their bonds with various Espers. At first level they choose a Rank 1 Esper, as if they had selected the Eidolon Shared ability. They receive the Esper's Devotion and may Summon it at the cost of 3 points of Destiny, as normal.

At 3rd level, and every third level after that (6th, 9th, etc.) they gain the services of a new Esper in the same manner, for a total of 11 at level 30. The maximum Rank of Espers available for the Summoner to choose from is shown on the table below (though they may choose a lower Rank Esper if they wish):

{table]Level|Rank
    1+|1
    6+|2
    12+|3
    18+|4
    24+|5[/table]

In addition to the traditional method of summoning, the Summoner receives several benefits depending on which Espers they have chosen, and may invoke a lesser version of one of their chosen Summons, known as an Aeon. The Summoner remains as part of the battle & conjures a circular seal in midair with the form of the chosen Esper partially visible on one side (as shown in the picture, and also here). The Aeon utilises one of it's listed abilities (chosen by the Summoner each time it is used) & then fades out of existence. Conjuring Aeons does not require MP, may be done at will and affect targets at short range unless otherwise specified.

Abilities granted by Espers:
    Spoiler
    Show
    - Aeon abilities that are attacks are treated as being dealt by a weapon of the same Tier that the Summoner is wielding, using the Summoner's SPR score to determine ACC and weapon damage (they are not Arcane weapons and so do not 1/2 damage as they would when using SPR instead of STR). They have none of the Summoner's weapon abilities, are affected by ARM & M. ARM, and may not be used to utilise Limit Breaks, though they can be critical hits.

- Spells granted cost MP as normal.
    - Pact Gift abilities are constantly active unless suppressed somehow.

Rank 1 Espers

Bismark
    Pact Gift: Summoners who are bonded with Bismarck may breathe underwater as easily as they do above it & receive a +2 bonus to resist Elemental (Water) spells.
    Granted Powers: The Summoner may cast the Water spell as a Black Mage would.
    1/session as an Instant Action, the Summoner may benefit from the Water Ward weapon ability for 1 round.
    Aeon, Standard Action: Bismarck slams into an enemy causing ARM damage.
    Aeon, Slow Action: Bismarck aims his blowhole at the target and unleashes a powerful spray at them, dealing 1/2 the ARM damage of it's normal attack & affecting the target with a Knockback effect.

Carbuncle
    Pact Gift: Summoners who are bonded with Carbuncle may speak with animals & monsters, and may choose to emit light as a Glowstone would (except red/pink instead of blue & not affected by magical areas).
    Granted Powers: The Summoner may cast the Faith spell as a White Mage would.
    1/session as an Instant Action, the Summoner may benefit from the Reflect status for 1 round.
    Aeon, Standard Action: Carbuncle fires a beam of ruby light, causing ARM damage.
    Aeon, Slow Action: Carbuncle's beam strikes an enemy, suppressing their Reflect status or Regeneration for 1 round.

Chocobo
    Pact Gift: Summoners who choose Chocobo are fleet of foot, and may move a Medium Range as an Instant Action, rather than a Short Range.
    Granted Powers: The Summoner may cast the Choco Ball spell, as a Blue Mage of their level.
    1/session as a standard action the Summoner may conjure a flurry of yellow feathers to distract foes. The Summoner automatically succeeds on an immediate Escape check, and all allies receive a +2 bonus to their own Escape check that round.
    Aeon, Standard Action: Chocobo pecks an opponent, causing ARM damage.
    Aeon, Slow Action: Chocobo raises it's wings in defence of the Summoner, increasing their ARM & M. ARM each by half their level until the start of their next turn.

Salamander
    Pact Gift: Summoners bonded with Salamander are immune to mundane fire & receive a +2 bonus to resist Elemental (Fire) spells.
    Granted Powers: The Summoner may cast the Fire Spell as a Black Mage of their level.
    1/session the Summoner may grant themselves the Absorb (Fire) status as an Instant action, which lasts until their next turn.
    Aeon, Standard Action: Salamander appears and spits a stream of flame, causing M. ARM damage.
    Aeon, Slow Action: Salamander creates a spiral of flame, causing half M. ARM amage of it's normal attack, but affecting all enemies within Short Range.

Siren
    Pact Gift: Siren allows the Summoner to sing and seduce; the Summoner receives a +2 bonus on Negotiation checks and skill checks involving singing.
    Granted Powers: The Summoner may cast the Sleep spell as a Black Mage of their level.
    1/session the Summoner may inflict the Seal status on an enemy for 2 rounds.
    Aeon, Standard Action: Siren sings an ear-piercing note, inflicting ARM damage.
    Aeon, Slow Action: Siren's song resonates in the target's mind. It deals half damage but distracts the target, causing a -1 penalty to their ACC for 1 round.

Sylph:
    Pact Gift: Slyph grants it's Summoner the spirit of the breeze, granting them a +2 bonus to resist Elemental (Wind) & Elemental (Earth) spells.
    Granted Powers: The Summoner may cast Dia as a White Mage of their level would.
    1/session the Summoner may create the illusion of their being many copies of them, making the real one hard to hit. The Summoner's EVA score is doubled for 1 round.
    Aeon, Standard Action: Sylph throws a marble of holy light, inflicting ARM damage.
    Aeon, Slow Action: Many Slyph throw their spheres, dealing half damage & Blinding the target for 1 round.

Valefor
    Pact Gift: The Summoner is one with the sky, and my Hover as a Moogle would. Those Summoners that can already Hover may do so whilst in combat.
    Granted Powers: The Summoner may cast Aero as a Black Mage of their level would.
    1/session the Summoner may cast one of the following spells as a Black Mage of their level would: Blizzard, Fire, Thunder Water.
    Aeon, Standard Action: Valefor slashes an enemy with it's beak, dealing ARM damage.
    Aeon, Slow Action: Valefor looses a blast of air with it's wings, dealing half damage to all enemies within a short range.

Rank 2 Espers

Catoblepas
    Pact Gift:
    Granted Powers:
    1/session
    Aeon, Standard Action:
    Aeon, Slow Action:

Ifrit
    Pact Gift:
    Granted Powers:
    1/session
    Aeon, Standard Action:
    Aeon, Slow Action:

Leviathan
    Pact Gift:
    Granted Powers:
    1/session
    Aeon, Standard Action:
    Aeon, Slow Action:

Pandemonium
    Pact Gift:
    Granted Powers:
    1/session
    Aeon, Standard Action:
    Aeon, Slow Action:

Ramuh
    Pact Gift:
    Granted Powers:
    1/session
    Aeon, Standard Action:
    Aeon, Slow Action:

Shiva
    Pact Gift: Summoners bound to Shiva receive a +2 bonus to resist Elemental (Ice) spells, and are acclimatised to ice or snow; meaning they aren't treated as difficult terrain for the Summoner.
    Granted Powers: May cast the Blizzard & Elemental Spikes (Ice) spells, as a Black Mage would.
    1/session as an instant action the Summoner may throw up a shield of ice and negate a single Medium or Long range weapon attack against them, as the Wall spell would.
    Aeon, Standard Action: Unleashing a ray of cold energy, the Summoner numbs their target's limbs. A single target must now take a Standard action to move instead of an Instant action. This lasts for 2 rounds, and is Resistable (Resist 13).
    Aeon, Slow Action: The Summoner rapidly chills the air around them, causing all heat to vanish. For a number of rounds equal to your Spr Rating, enemies that take a Short Ranged action against you suffer ice damage equal to your Spr score, ignoring M.ARM, Shell or Unusual Defence.

Titan
    Pact Gift:
    Granted Powers:
    1/session
    Aeon, Standard Action:
    Aeon, Slow Action:

Rank 3
    Pact Gift:
    Granted Powers:
    1/session
    Aeon, Standard Action:
    Aeon, Slow Action:

Note: The Summoner may choose to take the Eidolon Shared ability as normal if they wish to have more Espers; these are affected by the Summoner's Job Abilities, but they do not gain access to the Summon Magic abilities listed above for these Espers, and may not conjure Aeons of them.

Job Abilities:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Skilled Summoner Passive, Self
    Pre-requisite: Must be able to Summon Rank 2+ Espers.
    The Summoner has an excellent grasp of their most basic Espers, and may Summon all of their Rank 1 Espers for only two points of Destiny instead of three.

Expert Summoner Passive, Self
    Pre-requisite: Skilled Summoner, Must be able to Summon Rank 3+ Espers.
    The Summoner is an artist when it comes to Summoning, and may Summon all of their Rank 2 Esper for only two points of Destiny instead of three.

Master Summoner Passive, Self
    Pre-requisite: Expert Summoner, Must be able to Summon Rank 4+ Espers.
    The Summoner is unparalleled in their Summoning abilities, and may Summon all of their Rank 3 Esper for only two points of Destiny instead of three.

Favoured Eidolon Passive, Self
    There is an Esper amongst the Summoner's collective that they have a truly special bond with. 1/SPR Rating each session, the Summoner may use the Slow Action ability of this Esper's Aeon as a Standard Action instead.

This ability may be taken multiple times, applying to a different Esper each time.

Spirit Guardian Instant, Self
    1/session the Espers may share their Impervious nature with their Summoner. Any negative status effects (except K.O) are purged from the Summoner and they are immune to negative statuses (excluding K.O. but including Instant Death effects) for 1 round/VIT Rating.

Legendary Accessory: Madain Ring
    Summoner Only +6 Spr, +4 Vit. The Summoner may simultaneously call two Aeons at once.They may only use two standard action abilities at once, or an instant action ability with a standard or slow action ability.

-----------
    I've never played Dissidia, but Yuna's mechanics in it are what I always want from a Summoner; unique abilities based on their summon creatures, rather than just a Mage who can also summon.

Obviously still a work in progress (need to do the rest of the Summons & more Job Abilities), but what do you think?
    Last edited by Kobold-Bard; 2012-03-10 at 06:48 AM.

22. - Top - End - #202
    Dwarf in the Playground

This work came about because I mentioned that one way to solve the problem of being in a DND rut with the 30 level system. Rather than doing away with EXP as was suggested I did away with levels. Only use this system if:

1) You don't like the 30 level system
    2) You liked spheregrids and think they were way better in FFXIII
    3) You don't mind math
    4) You don't mind being a guinea pig for me

Steelsmiter’s Level-less AP System

I mentioned in response to a musing about doing away with the standard experience system on FFd6 how instead of that I’d do away with levels, keeping experience, and converting to a sort of “Sphere Grid” system. Unlike Sphere Grids I’d want to make the ability acquisition much easier, no longer requiring abilities to be purchased in line.

This requires some modification to the base system to get some sort of understanding how the AP conversion is done. Rather than having the basic 5 EXP= 1 level I’d change it up a bit to 5 EXP x Current Level= EXP till Level up, thus its 5 EXP to second level, 10 from second to third and so on. With that rationale one can alter monster awards to “1 EXP per old level of the monster” for normal, 2 for notorious, 3 for boss and 4 per end boss. Under the “Level-less” system convert these EXP to Ability Points or AP that are used to buy character abilities.

The first level of HP and if appropriate, MP are free as well as two abilities from either the Job Ability or Shared Ability List. Innate and Epic abilities are also free, but if you purchased any abilities requiring Innate or Epic Abilities those Job Abilities are unusable (such as many black mage abilities requiring Black Magic). Skill point starting values are also free.

Until this work becomes sufficiently playtested the breakdown of ability costs are as follows:

The table below shows how many AP would be available for a given level:

“Level”|AP|“Level”|AP|“Level”|AP
    1|5|11|330|21|1155
    2|15|12|390|22|1265
    3|30|13|455|23|1380
    4|50|14|525|24|1500
    5|75|15|600|25|1625
    6|105|16|680|26|1755
    7|140|17|765|27|1890
    8|180|18|855|28|2030
    9|225|19|950|29|2175
    10|275|20|1050|30|2325

Some useful benchmarks:
    Maximizing 1 attribute costs 465 AP
    Maximizing each of HP and MP costs 464 AP
    Getting a skill to +10 requires 55+ a maximized attribute
    Getting 9 job abilities costs 280 AP

EDIT: Sorry I don't have a neat spheregrid graphic... though that might make for an excellent checklist
    Last edited by steelsmiter; 2018-05-31 at 01:50 PM.

23. - Top - End - #203

BlueKnightGuy

Comments on the Summoner (disedia)

Epic Ability: Ouch. Very ouch. Spending three points of destiny gets me three actions per turn, whereas everyone else gets just one of the things and no doubled actions. Maybe just let them have the double actions, and no price increase to do oth, might be more in line of everyone elses

Innate Ability: Making it free makes mages irrelevant. The average abilities of a summon are both more powerful and faster than anything else of the relevant level. Making it free means there's no longer a point in having anyone else on offence since you outlevel them by such a margin. There's also the problem that some people may see the free part and then decide they can use yojimbo for free. And that's also ignoring the fact many summons have as many spells as a relevant level mage, which means you're repotoire would be stupidly huge (assuming level 15 you could eaisly net every tier 3 black/white spell), which if they're free makes it stupidly broken and so superior to black/white/red mages it takes the pee.

You also don't say what type of action it is, so it could be interpreted as free by some folk

I'd recommend adding some cost to the aeon and giving the class mage level MP (4 per levelish). Make them be unable to access their spells when summoned using the Innate ability to not be able to laugh off mages. Based of off black magic spells, I'd say

6 for tier 1
    30 for tier 2
    50 for tier 3
    100 for tier 4
    200 for tier 5

it'd give on average more power per spell, but the lack of versatility may balance it out

Job abilities:

all look OK, though I'm still worried about the above abilities
    Last edited by BlackestOfMages; 2012-02-12 at 03:49 PM.

24. - Top - End - #204

BlueKnightGuy

something I've been working on for a few days since I decided to DM a game of FFD6. not sure if it'll be used, but twas fun

Materia – an in-depth system.

Materia are orbs of condensed lifestream energy that grant supernatural powers to those that hold them, leting even normal humans perform feats of an extraordinary nature, such as letting a man who has held nothing but a blade their entire life unleash a ball of fire at will, or letting a wizened old scholar wield a sword with the skill and speed of the aforementioned warrior.

Equipping Materia

Materia is equipped as part of a characters weapon and armour. A character can equip as many pieces of Materia as the tier of the item it is equipped as part of. For example, if Kyle, a fighter, has a tier 3 weapon and tier 2 armour, he can equip up to 5 pieces of Materia.

Some Materia function differently when equipped in weapons compared to armour, and vice versa

Materia Tiers and Evolution

As with equipment and spells, Materia is split into separate levels, called Tiers. The Tier of the Materia determine it's effectiveness (see mateira types below for more information). The tiers range from 1 to 5, with 1 being the weakest and 5 being the strongest

Materia grows and expands with use, gaining experience at the same rate as characters so long as it is equipped. Whenever a Piece of Materia reaches 25 EXP, it evolves to the next tier of effectiveness, with the effects changing accordingly.

Some Materia. However, are limited in what tiers they can access. This is most common for magic and summoning materia, though some others are limited as well. Some Materia will also have Tiers that are effectively empty, granting no bonuses.

Types of Materia

There are six main types of Materia available; Magic, Summoning, Ability, Support and Attribute. Every piece of Materia falls under one of these six categories. The category determines how it evolves, and whether the bonus conferred upon the player is passive or activated

Magic Materia
    Effect
    Magic Materia allows the character to cast the contained spell or spells, as if they had then as an innate ability. If the character had no MP, they instead count as having MP of 2/level. The tier of the Materia is equal to the tier of the highest level spell. Blue Magic of tier 2 is a tier 3 level ability, and blue magic of tier 3 is a tier 5 level ability

The Character cannot use innate magic y equiping Materia, they must have at least some magic themselves.

Evolution When going up a level, the Materia gains a new spell, so long as that spell has one or more of it's previous spells as it's prerequisites. This spell must be of the Materia's new tier. For example, a Fire Materia could gain Fira and Firaga by leveling up, but it could not go fire, then thundara, then wateraga, nor could it go Fire to Ultima in one level.
    If there are no spells where the Materia meets the prerequisites for, then it will stop gaining experience.
    Materia purchased at a tier do not have spells of a lower level, only one spells of the purchased tier (for example, a tier 2 fira Materia would just have fira)

Summoning Materia
    Effect
    Summoning Mateira allows the character to summon the contained Eidolon as though they had selected it through the Eidolon Shared Ability. The character must still pay destiny to summon it. The Tier of the Mateira is identical to the tier of the contained Eidolon to begin with, though this can improve

Eidolon's from Summoning Materia do not grant destiny

Evolution
    Summon Materia that increases in level increases the effective rank of the contained Eidolon by 1. The Eidolon's multipliers on it's abilities increases by 1 as well, and it gains access to any spells of it's new tier it meets the prerequisites for.

Ability Materia
    Effect
    Ability Materia grants the character access to job abilities, being the condensed experience of fallen warriors absored into the life stream. Shared Job Abilities are tier 2, whereas non-shared job abilities are tier 3. A character must be able to select the job ability normally to gain any benefits from an ability materia, though they can ignore normal prerequisites. A character cannot get a mount or a vehicle through Ability Materia
    Epic abilities are tier 4, and replace the characters previous one whilst equiped
    and Innate abilities are Tier 5. This cannot be used to grant magic to people by an innate ability that does so, such as a black mages black magic

Evolution
    Ability Materia does not evolve. It is always at it's standard tier

Attribute Materia
    Effect
    Attribute Materia enhances the physical abilities of the character, or grants them deeper skills or Mana pools, or enhanced speed or health. There are three types of Attribute Materia; greater, main and secondary

Greater grant a bonus equal to ½ their tier, rounding down, and have a minimum tier of 3. Greater Attributes are MP per level and HP per level, ACC and EVA
    Main grant a bonus equal to their tier. Main Attributes are Strength, Dex, Vit, Int, Spr
    Secondary grant a bonus equal to twice their tier. Secondary attributes are all skills

Evolution
    See above

Support Materia
    Effect
    Each support Materia is an individual Materia, with an unique effect.

All Materia
    As a slow action, the character can change any ability they know to target Group. This can be done a numer of times per battle equal to the Materia's Tier

Elemental Materia
    Select one magic Materia with an element equipped in the same piece of equipment. If the piece of equipment is armour, then the character has a resistance to that element equal to the materia's tier * 20%. If equipped on a weapon, then the weapon has elemental strike for the appropriate element, and it's tier is at least the tier of the materia

Added Effect
    Select one magic Materia that can inflict a status effect equipped in the same piece of equipment. If the piece of equipment is armour, then the character has a resistance to that status effect equal to the Mateira's tier * 20%. If equipped on a weapon, then the weapon has status touch for the appropriate status, and it's tier is at least the tier of the Materia

Counter
    the equipper has a chance to counter any physical attack equal to materia tier * 10%. They counter with any close range physical attack they posses (counts as a use if the ability has limited uses)

Magic Counter
    the equipper has a chance to counter any magic attack equal to tier * 10%. They counter with the same spell, even if they do not know it, so long as they have enough MP to cast it. This costs MP

Long Range
    The equiper can use any short range ability they possess as a medium range ability as a slow action. If the materia is at least tier 2, then they can use any medium range ability as a long range ability. If the materia is tier 3, then using short range as medium range does not change the cast time, and if the materia is tier 4, then enhancing the range never changes the action time. Tier 5 makes all abilities long ranged.

Materia Price
    Materia, due to it's wondrous powers, is anything but cheap.

Tier 1: 500 gill
    Tier 2: 1200 gill
    Tier 3: 7000 gill
    Tier 4: 15000 gill
    Tier 5: not for sale. Must be found/evolved.

UPDATED: fixed a little bit of wording, and moved eva/acc to greater rather than secondary because I forgot they where effectivly 1/3 the relevant attribute, not the who attribute

also, no longer stealing other peoples job abilities.
    Last edited by BlackestOfMages; 2012-02-15 at 08:08 AM.

25. - Top - End - #205
    Titan in the Playground

Comments on the Summoner (disedia)

Epic Ability: Ouch. Very ouch. Spending three points of destiny gets me three actions per turn, whereas everyone else gets just one of the things and no doubled actions. Maybe just let them have the double actions, and no price increase to do oth, might be more in line of everyone elses
    Fair point. High Summoner now calls a self-sustaining Eidolon only.

Innate Ability: Making it free makes mages irrelevant. The average abilities of a summon are both more powerful and faster than anything else of the relevant level. Making it free means there's no longer a point in having anyone else on offence since you outlevel them by such a margin.
    It's true Eidolons have many abilities, but using the Eidolon's abilities still requires 3 points of Destiny, something that's not found just lying on the ground. Their day-to-day abilities are the ones mentioned in the Abilities granted by Eidolons spoiler, which are much less potent & varied.

There's also the problem that some people may see the free part and then decide they can use yojimbo for free. And that's also ignoring the fact many summons have as many spells as a relevant level mage, which means you're repotoire would be stupidly huge (assuming level 15 you could eaisly net every tier 3 black/white spell), which if they're free makes it stupidly broken and so superior to black/white/red mages it takes the pee.
    Again, they're not free it costs Destiny to summon Eidolons.

And I specifically level-capped what Tier Eidolons a Summoner can choose, Yojimbo can't be picked until Level 24.

You also don't say what type of action it is, so it could be interpreted as free by some folk
    Summoning is the same action as described in the books. Calling Aeons is either an Instant, Standard or Slow action, depending on the ability used (and spells are used as a Mage, so are Slow actions).

Job abilities:

all look OK, though I'm still worried about the above abilities
    Cool.

26. - Top - End - #206

BlueKnightGuy

Oh, I saw the spoiler, but then one of the summon's listed abilities is so very, very vauge that it can just as eaisly (and in fact, makes more sense since it would be canon rules versus homebrew) that without specifying it would refer to the summon's own listed abilities. you make no distinction, and as such it implies these new abilities are extra bonuses to the existing eidolon. vaugeness is not your friend. please specify that by listed abilities you mean listed in the box below not just one of the eidolon's listed abilities (whih are in the rulebook, and all my points do apply to).

also, Yojimbo's a tier 3 eidolon, not a tier 5. your summoner could get it from level 12+

Though, second question now: what defines a pact gift/granted powers and how often can they be used. are they always active? you don't explain anywhere, other than to give them a name.

27. - Top - End - #207

If the Summoner were to be a part of a party eidolon, and then use High Summoner to summon the eidolon, what will happen? Will it happen as normal, and the entire party is out of the fight, will the summoner remain, or will everyone in the party still have a chance to fight?

I personally think you should have half of them deal ARM damage and half deal M.ARM damage. Carbuncle, Siren and/or Sylph could easily be M.ARM. I suppose you probably made most of them physical because you get magic to attack M.ARM, but as a magey type of character, it makes perfect sense to me to favor attacking M.ARM.

The summoner doesn't care about weapon abilities. Is there a way that you can get a weapon without any abilities for cheaper, like armor gives rules for?

Yojimbo is indeed a rank 3 eidolon and available at 12+

Not that I agree with the rest; to me it's pretty clear RAI that you're talking about the abilities granted in your post not the eidolons regular abilities.

28. - Top - End - #208
    Titan in the Playground

Oh, I saw the spoiler, but then one of the summon's listed abilities is so very, very vauge that it can just as eaisly (and in fact, makes more sense since it would be canon rules versus homebrew) that without specifying it would refer to the summon's own listed abilities. you make no distinction, and as such it implies these new abilities are extra bonuses to the existing eidolon. vaugeness is not your friend. please specify that by listed abilities you mean listed in the box below not just one of the eidolon's listed abilities (whih are in the rulebook, and all my points do apply to).
    Fair enough.

also, Yojimbo's a tier 3 eidolon, not a tier 5. your summoner could get it from level 12+
    So he is. D'oh.

Though, second question now: what defines a pact gift/granted powers and how often can they be used. are they always active? you don't explain anywhere, other than to give them a name.
    Pact Gift is always active, granted powers can be used as often as they are allowed (for Rank 1 Summons the spell may be used as often as they like as long as they have enough MP to cast it, and the other ability is 1/session). I'll clarify, but I was just trying to keep the walls of text as low as possible, figuring people would understand.

Quote Originally Posted by Nihilarian View Post
    If the Summoner were to be a part of a party eidolon, and then use High Summoner to summon the eidolon, what will happen? Will it happen as normal, and the entire party is out of the fight, will the summoner remain, or will everyone in the party still have a chance to fight?
    High Summoner is a distinct ability to other forms of Summoning, it's not a passive ability that is added to the Summoner's calling of Espers. Therefore it cannot be used in conjunction with Party Espers.
    The summoner doesn't care about weapon abilities. Is there a way that you can get a weapon without any abilities for cheaper, like armor gives rules for?

There aren't rules for it, but how do these look -
    Tier 2: 400gp
    Tier 3: 800gp
    Tier 4: 2400gp
    Tier 5: 5000gp
    Tier 6: 10,000gp
    Tier 7: 20,000gp

I personally think you should have half of them deal ARM damage and half deal M.ARM damage. Carbuncle, Siren and/or Sylph could easily be M.ARM. I suppose you probably made most of them physical because you get magic to attack M.ARM, but as a magey type of character, it makes perfect sense to me to favor attacking M.ARM.
    That is why. The Tier 1 Eidolons all had to have attacks as their Standard/Slow action abilities (higher Tier ones won't necessarily) so that whichever one the Summoner picked at Level 1, they always had an attack option, which every character needs. I might change a couple to M.ARM.

Not that I agree with the rest; to me it's pretty clear RAI that you're talking about the abilities granted in your post not the eidolons regular abilities.
    I thought so too, and wanted to avoid redundant text where possible, but if people ARE having issues with it, then I guess that proves I was wrong.

29. - Top - End - #209

There's quite a bit in this thread that I've blatantly stole. If anyone would prefer that I don't do this, please let me know! But right now I'm just going to note that this thread is full of great ideas and I'd like this to be my blanket request to use and/or modify some of them. I'd say I'd put you in the credits, but honestly, just about all of you are already in there for picking out errors and telling me what you think needs to be fixed.

So, y'know. Just the heads up. Stealin'.

30. - Top - End - #210

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Dust View Post
    There's quite a bit in this thread that I've blatantly stole. If anyone would prefer that I don't do this, please let me know! But right now I'm just going to note that this thread is full of great ideas and I'd like this to be my blanket request to use and/or modify some of them. I'd say I'd put you in the credits, but honestly, just about all of you are already in there for picking out errors and telling me what you think needs to be fixed.

So, y'know. Just the heads up. Stealin'.
    feel free to steal anything of mine (though my stuff is probably in the don't steal it's aweful pile ). Always happy to help