New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default The Art of Kidney Harvesting

So, a recent issue has come up at the table, which personally I think is a non-issue. However, the DM has asked me to throw it on the forum for the Playgrounds opinion.

The issue is over the specific wording for Sneak Attack:

The rogue’s attack deals extra damage any time her target would be denied a Dexterity bonus to AC (whether the target actually has a Dexterity bonus or not), or when the rogue flanks her target.
    One of our players has voiced the idea that uncanny dodge does not specifically disregard SA on the grounds that under normal situations that would leave the target denied his dex bonus (such as a surprise round) he is still allowed to apply sneak attack damage. However, instead of only having to beat his FlatFooted ac, the rogue must beat his normal AC. Because uncanny dodge states that a character with Uncanny Dodge retains his Dex to his AC if he would otherwise be denied it.

Uncanny Dodge (Ex): Starting at 4th level, a rogue can react to danger before her senses would normally allow her to do so. She retains her Dexterity bonus to AC (if any) even if she is caught flat-footed or struck by an invisible attacker. However, she still loses her Dexterity bonus to AC if immobilized.
    My interpretation is that if a subject has Uncanny Dodge then they cannot be subject to Sneak Attacks from simply being caught "off guard". Because Uncanny Dodge specifically states that you retain your Dex to AC and one of the requirments that must be met for SA to apply is your target is denied their Dex to AC, which with Uncanny Dodge the character specifically is not denied their Dex to AC.

For evidence of my interpretation being correct, I turn to Skip Williams himself.

The uncanny dodge ability allows a flat-footed creature to retain its Dexterity bonus to Armor Class (if any) and it foils sneak attacks when in does so.
    The entire article can be read Here.

EDIT: Discuss Opinions!
    Last edited by LanSlyde; 2012-10-11 at 08:37 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary Gygax;
    The secret we should never let the game masters know is that they don't need any rules.

2. - Top - End - #2

Default Re: The Art of Kidney Harvesting

Quote Originally Posted by LanSlyde View Post
    Because Uncanny Dodge specifically states that you retain your Dex to AC and one of the requirments that must be met for SA to apply is your target is denied their Dex to AC, which with Uncanny Dodge the character specifically is not denied their Dex to AC.
    Pretty much this. Sneak attack triggers if you would be denied your Dex bonus, but with Uncanny Dodge you wouldn't be denied your Dex bonus. No trigger.
    It's been a bit, GitP. If you're reading this, you're either digging through old stuff, or I've posted for the first time in forever.

If you want to stay in touch, reach out to me on twitter (same username).

The best answer is always to ask your DM.
    Unless you're the DM, in which case you should talk to your players.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Uncanny dodge does not directly prevent sneak attacking. It does prevent you from losing your Dex to AC when flat-footed or struck by an invisible attacker. If the sneak attack is enabled by a flank, you would still be vulnerable. But if the only way an attacking rogue can gain a sneak attack on you is due to one of the two aforementioned conditions, then Uncanny dodge effectively prevents the sneak attack. It is important to keep in mind that there are other effects that could cause you to lose Dex to AC - such as being Immobilized. Uncanny dodge does not prevent this, therefore you still lose Dex to AC and are vulnerable to sneak attack.
    “No matter how subtle the wizard, a knife between the shoulder blades will seriously cramp his style.” ― Steven Brust
    "In God we trust. All others we investigate." - United States Army Military Police Corps
    My thanks to Komodo for the excellent Avatar.
    Check out BSR's Improved Sorcerer project.

4. - Top - End - #4

Quote Originally Posted by BowStreetRunner View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Uncanny dodge does not directly prevent sneak attacking. It does prevent you from losing your Dex to AC when flat-footed or struck by an invisible attacker. If the sneak attack is enabled by a flank, you would still be vulnerable. But if the only way an attacking rogue can gain a sneak attack on you is due to one of the two aforementioned conditions, then Uncanny dodge effectively prevents the sneak attack. It is important to keep in mind that there are other effects that could cause you to lose Dex to AC - such as being Immobilized. Uncanny dodge does not prevent this, therefore you still lose Dex to AC and are vulnerable to sneak attack.
    Yes, we get this, what he is attempting to claim is that because of the wording on SA Uncanny Dodge wouldn't deny a SA outright, just that the AC to hit would be higher because the target gets to keep his Dex.
    The secret we should never let the game masters know is that they don't need any rules.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Firbolg in the Playground

Yes, we get this, what he is attempting to claim is that because of the wording on SA Uncanny Dodge wouldn't deny a SA outright, just that the AC to hit would be higher because the target gets to keep his Dex.
    But it does deny it outright: SA is dependent on the target being denied a Dexterity bonus. Uncanny Dodge specifically states that you retain your Dex bonus: i.e. you are never denied said bonus. Thus, no attacks. Pretty straightforward.

Ingredients

2oz Djinn
    5oz Water
    1 Lime Wedge

Instructions

Pour Djinn and tonic water into a glass filled with ice cubes. Stir well. Garnish with lime wedge. Serve.

6. - Top - End - #6

Quote Originally Posted by Djinn_in_Tonic View Post
    But it does deny it outright: SA is dependent on the target being denied a Dexterity bonus. Uncanny Dodge specifically states that you retain your Dex bonus: i.e. you are never denied said bonus. Thus, no attacks. Pretty straightforward.
    He is claiming that because if caught flatfooted you would "normally" lose your Dex to AC. His argument is on the grounds of the specific wording of SA where is states "would be denied Dex to AC" instead of it being worded "is denied Dex to AC". Would you normally lose dex to ac? yes. Therefor he claims a possible SA. Regardless of whether or not you have abilities in place that allow you to claim Dex to AC.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

I don't agree with his reasoning.

On the other hand, I don't like that article series. In part 4, skip suggests a really terrible houserule to let enemies ignore a flanker that completely breaks the game. It is a houserule and not presented as RAW, but I steer clear of that series of SA articles due to that regardless. I mean, the guy designed the game and he thinks this is a good idea, what could go wrong?
    /newbie DM thought process

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

He is claiming that because if caught flatfooted you would "normally" lose your Dex to AC. His argument is on the grounds of the specific wording of SA where is states "would be denied Dex to AC" instead of it being worded "is denied Dex to AC". Would you normally lose dex to ac? yes. Therefor he claims a possible SA. Regardless of whether or not you have abilities in place that allow you to claim Dex to AC.
    The thing is, it doesn't say "would normally be denied" it says "would be denied," and that is the problem. Adding in that extra word means that now there is also added the new unspoken assumption of a "normal" case that could mean anything. For example consider the case of an attack by, say, an unseen assailant. For the sake of argument, let's assume that your world does not have invisible attackers jumping out at everyone most of the time. Thus in the normal course of the day the character is attacked by visible creatures, and so the invisibility must be discounted when seeing if the character would normally be denied their dexterity bonus. It is just as fair to discount some factor in the favor of the attacker as in the favor of the defender.
    Last edited by olentu; 2012-10-12 at 01:39 AM.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by olentu View Post
    The thing is, it doesn't say "would normally be denied" it says "would be denied," and that is the problem. Adding in that extra word means that now there is also added the new unspoken assumption of a "normal" case that could mean anything.
    My opinion, which I hold for reasons I can't quite articulate at the moment, is that the use of "would be" instead of "is" is due to the fact that not all creatures have a Dexterity bonus to be denied. If it read "is," you could make an argument for sneak attacking an opponent with Dexterity <12 to be impossible without flanking.
    Author of The Auspician's Handbook and The Tempestarian's Handbook for Spheres of Power.
    Ask me (or the other authors) anything.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lateral View Post
    Well, of course I'm paranoid about everything. Hell, with Jeff as DM, I'd be paranoid even if we were playing a game set in The Magic Kiddie Funland of Perfectly Flat Planes and Sugar Plums.
    Greenman by Bradakhan/Spring Greenman by Comissar/Autumn Greenman by Sgt. Pepper/Winter Greenman by gurgleflep

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff the Green View Post
    My opinion, which I hold for reasons I can't quite articulate at the moment, is that the use of "would be" instead of "is" is due to the fact that not all creatures have a Dexterity bonus to be denied. If it read "is," you could make an argument for sneak attacking an opponent with Dexterity <12 to be impossible without flanking.
    Pretty much, given also that it's clearly written: "whether the target actually has a Dexterity bonus or not" means exactly that. It doesn't matter that you don't have a bonus, 'cause it would be denied anyway.
    An ability that let you retain the bonus, foils this kind of SA.
    Last edited by Killer Angel; 2012-10-12 at 02:12 AM.
    Do I contradict myself?
    Very well then I contradict myself. I am large, I contain multitudes. (W.Whitman)

Things that increase my self esteem:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaiyanwang View Post
    Great analysis KA. I second all things you said
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeYounger View Post
    Great analysis KA, I second everything you said here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryu_Bonkosi View Post
    If I have a player using Paladin in the future I will direct them to this. Good job.
    Quote Originally Posted by grimbold View Post
    THIS is proof that KA is amazing
    Quote Originally Posted by PairO'Dice Lost View Post
    Killer Angel, you have an excellent taste in books
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    Historical zombies is a fantastic idea.

11. - Top - End - #11

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Killer Angel View Post
    Pretty much, given also that it's clearly written: "whether the target actually has a Dexterity bonus or not" means exactly that. It doesn't matter that you don't have a bonus, 'cause it would be denied anyway.
    An ability that let you retain the bonus, foils this kind of SA.
    This would theoretically be true if the book didn't go on to clarify precisely that immediately afterwords.
    The rogue’s attack deals extra damage any time her target would be denied a Dexterity bonus to AC (whether the target actually has a Dexterity bonus or not), or when the rogue flanks her target.
    This doesn't make it impossible that what you are saying it true, but if so, why make it redundant immediately afterwords?
    I know every group I've been involved with has always played with the ruling that Uncanny Dodge does not prevent Sneak Attack, in part I suspect due to the "would" part in there. (Also, I suspect, because there are quite enough things already that prevent sneak attacking without having to Uncanny Dodge to the mix)
    "If your heart is fearful throw away fear; if there is terror in it throw away terror. Take your axe in your hand and attack. He who leaves the fight unfinished is not at peace." -The Epic of Gilgamesh

12. - Top - End - #12

Out of curiosity, what does this have to do with kidney harvesting? Is it just a title?
    Spoiler
    Show

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Augmental View Post
    Out of curiosity, what does this have to do with kidney harvesting? Is it just a title?
    It is important to properly aerate the area around the growing kidneys to ensure a bountiful harvest.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Augmental View Post
    I came to this thread, expecting PCs looting their enemy's organs in their latest bid for wealth, and the OP asking what skill best represented organ-harvesting ability (I was about to suggest Heal, too). It would have been awesome; PCs looting not just gold, or weapons, or magic items, or furniture, or locks.. but peices of their enemys' still-warm corpses, too. Real PCs use every part of the encounter.

I am disappoint

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

Send a couple of rogues to SA the PC (presumably the PC is a rogue), and see if the player wants his uncanny dodge to kick in. There's your answer.
    Blank 3.5 Character Creator Iron Chef Style Tables (in Google Sheets)

Chairman Emeritus of Zinc Saucier.

Avatar by Derjuin, sing her praises to Elysium.

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    So now you're claiming that spellcasting "lacks a clear, supernatural element?" Being supernatural is literally the only point of magic.

16. - Top - End - #16

Quote Originally Posted by mattie_p View Post
    Send a couple of rogues to SA the PC (presumably the PC is a rogue), and see if the player wants his uncanny dodge to kick in. There's your answer.
    Ah but you see, therein is the problem. His not claiming that Uncanny Dodge won't kick in, he's claiming that Uncanny Dodge does not auto-negate SA, instead it just means that the attacker must beat his AC that also applies his Dex.

17. - Top - End - #17

Well, if you folks give Improved Uncanny Dodge a look, it's that point at which the Sneak Attacking was intended to be cancelled out, unless by a rogue/other sneak attacker who's got levels four higher than the guy who has IUD. Based on that alone, I'd say that UC doesn't cancel out the Sneak Attack but, as was reasoned by the OP's player, it only denies the AC penalty.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Bugbear in the Playground

ElfRogueGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Manly Man View Post
    Well, if you folks give Improved Uncanny Dodge a look, it's that point at which the Sneak Attacking was intended to be cancelled out, unless by a rogue/other sneak attacker who's got levels four higher than the guy who has IUD. Based on that alone, I'd say that UC doesn't cancel out the Sneak Attack but, as was reasoned by the OP's player, it only denies the AC penalty.
    Exactly this.

Uncanny Dodge = You have to beat the normal AC instead of the flat-footed, you still sneak attack.

Improved Uncanny Dodge = Unless you're also a sneak attack AND at least 4 levels higher than the other guy you're not SA'ing.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

Here is what the FAQ has to say about it.
    Quote Originally Posted by 3.5 Main FAQ
    Since uncanny dodge doesn’t prevent you from being
    flat-footed, does that mean that a rogue can use sneak
    attack against a flat-footed character who has uncanny
    dodge?

No. Rogues don’t get to use sneak attack because a target is
    flat-footed, they get to use sneak attack because the target is
    denied its Dexterity bonus to AC (italics added), which is a
    normal side effect of being flat-footed. A barbarian (or any
    other character) with uncanny dodge retains his Dexterity
    bonus to AC when flat-footed or struck by an invisible attacker.
    Therefore, being flat-footed doesn’t render a foe vulnerable to
    enemy sneak attack.
    Myself, I would tell the player in question that it entirely depends on what the meaning of the word 'is' is.
    “No matter how subtle the wizard, a knife between the shoulder blades will seriously cramp his style.” ― Steven Brust
    "In God we trust. All others we investigate." - United States Army Military Police Corps

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

Yeah, so improved uncanny dodge. Unless I am mistaken if only applies to flanking which has nothing to do with the situation at hand. However one chooses to rule on uncanny dodge, improved uncanny dodge does nothing to change that situation as the two abilities apply in different circumstances.

21. - Top - End - #21

Quote Originally Posted by olentu View Post
    Yeah, so improved uncanny dodge. Unless I am mistaken if only applies to flanking which has nothing to do with the situation at hand. However one chooses to rule on uncanny dodge, improved uncanny dodge does nothing to change that situation as the two abilities apply in different circumstances.
    Indeed, which is why I never said a word about Improved Uncanny Dodge. I just spoke of Uncanny Dodge.

As BowStreetRunner pointed out SA relies on 1 of two things. Your target is flanked by you, or your target is denied their Dex to AC. Uncanny Dodge allows a PC to retain their Dex to AC. Therefor Uncanny Dodge foils 1 way to gain SA on a target. Improved Uncanny Dodge foils the other way, unless the SA flanker is 4 levels higher than the target they are flanking.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

Imp

Unless you're a wish-twisting genie you're not allowed to add words like that. "Would" does not imply "Would normally," therefore the PC's argument has no weight.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant
    I want tools to use in the game, not a blank check to do what I want. I can already do what I want.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

It does not have to be obvious to the player that the use of the word 'would' and the inclusion of the parenthetical note 'whether the target actually has a Dexterity bonus or not' was intended to ensure that characters with a Dex lower than 12 are not immune to Sneak Attack. It just has to be obvious to the DM.

24. - Top - End - #24

Quote Originally Posted by BowStreetRunner View Post
    It does not have to be obvious to the player that the use of the word 'would' and the inclusion of the parenthetical note 'whether the target actually has a Dexterity bonus or not' was intended to ensure that characters with a Dex lower than 12 are not immune to Sneak Attack. It just has to be obvious to the DM.
    Indeed, which is why I threw it up here on the off chance someone else would try and convince the DM that this players interpretation is incorrect.