View Single Post

Thread: Dream Related Spells

1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Dream Related Spells

Well, for a while I've wanted to try putting together a spell list focused around dreams & nightmares with about two spells per level as a feat for my ozodrin class, but have found the official sources lacking in dream spells (could only find nightmare, and a spell for messaging someone in their sleep. I'm not counting the spells that just put people to sleep), and am not particularly skilled at making and balancing spells myself. As such I thought I'd make a thread to request help with creating such a list of spells and am posting two I've had the idea for for a while, but am uncertain on actual balance or level they should be at.

Inspiring Dream, Lesser
    Enchantment (Compulsion, Dream, mind-affecting)
    Level: Bard 4, Cleric 4, Sor/Wiz 5
    Components: V, S, M
    Casting Time: 1 minute
    Range: Self
    Effect: 5-ft per level radius
    Duration: 1 hour/level
    Saving Throw: Will negates
    Spell Resistance: No
    While casting this spell, you choose simple message, or a concept or image to convey. Upon casting the spell goes into effect for 1 hour per caster level. During this time, any creature that approaches within 5 feet of you per caster level will become affected if it is asleep, or falls asleep before the end of the spell duration (even if it leaves the area of the spell).
    Upon waking, an affected creature must make a will save, or find itself driven to express the conveyed image, concept, or message in the way it can best, though they will rarely produce exactly what you conveyed. This means that artists will try to capture it in their artwork, writers through writing, sculptors through sculpting, craftsmen through their craft singers and dancers through song and dance, etc. For the purposes of determining what they are best at, choose their highest craft, perform, or, if appropriate, profession skill. If they lack ranks in any of those skills they will simply mention something related to the dream at some point during the day. To succeed in conveying the message, a DC 15 check with the appropriate skill, at which point. If they succeed, one may notice there is a message hidden in the work by succeeding a spot (or listen if appropriate) check (DC 40 - the check made to create it). People who produced something as a result of the spell receive a -5 penalty to noticing there is a message, while those who have already noticed there is a message gain a +5 bonus to seeing it in other works also inspired by this spell, provided it was the same message. If one has noticed there is a message an intelligence check must be made to decipher it (DC 30 - caster level). If a person has noticed the message in more than one work, they gain a +1 bonus on the check for each work after the first, provided they have them on hand to compare.
    If the person is inspired by the same message, concept or image the next time the go to sleep, either through the duration lasting that long or the spell being cast on them again conveying the same thing, they gain a +2 bonus on their check to produce a new work or improve one already made the next day. These bonuses are cumulative, as long as they are affected by the spell each night and failed the will save upon waking.

Material component: a piece of scolecite.

Inspiring Dream, Greater
    Enchantment (Compulsion, Dream, mind-affecting)
    Level: Bard 7, Cleric 7, Sor/Wiz 8
    Components: V, S, M
    Casting Time: 5 minute
    Range: Long (1 mile/level)
    Effect: 1/4 mile per level radius
    Duration: 1 day/level
    Saving Throw: Will negates
    Spell Resistance: No
    This spell acts as Lesser Inspiring Dream except it has a casting time of 5 minutes, may be cast at a distance of 1 mile per level, has a radius of 1/4 mile per level, and a duration of 1 day per level. It also will not affect new people entering the area of effect after the spell is cast unlike the lesser version, instead being limited to those already there when the spell was cast.

Material components: a piece of scolecite and a piece of malachite.

Owrtho
    Last edited by Owrtho; 2011-06-27 at 02:33 PM.
    Tables
    Want them to look nice? Have a guide

My Homebrew
    [creature]Shiny: Monster Competition XXXVI entry.
    [class]Wisp fire guide: Follow me. I have such sights to show you.
    [class]Ozodrin: A class to play as an eldritch horror.
    other hombrew