Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post
I remember talking to a science teacher in highschool. When asked, he said absolute zeroe wasn't the lowest possible temperature, just the lowest which occurs naturally or something. Later study yielded the nugget that, at -497 or so degrees C (Celsius? Centigrade? Hay if I know, I didn't follow up on it) matter ceases to exist.
Sub Zero generates cold of -500 C. So he breaks physics. Or the outlands have different physics.
Sounds theoretical, and highly questionable. The first problem is that temperature is a measure of the energy of a system, and 0 K (-273.15 C) is a system with no energy. How are you going to get from -274 C to -497 C, when they only way to reduce temperature is to remove energy and there is no more energy to remove? Not to mention the difficulty in measuring such a phenomenon.

The second problem is that matter = energy, quite literally, and so I would predict seeing matter disintegrate at 0 K anyways. Which would probably produce energy, thus increasing the temperature of the system above 0 K at that point... but I think you get the idea.

As a side note, there is such a thing as negative temperatures. They aren't "sub 0 K" temperatures, though. They are "plus positive infinity" temperatures. No, I don't know what kinds of mathematical trickery provided that kind of answer. It's not relevant to our discussion, in any case.