Thread: GitP PrC Contest Chat Thread IV

1. - Top - End - #115
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: GitP PrC Contest Chat Thread IV

Rainbow Thaumaturge
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Amechra View Post
    Concept: Quite nice; I've always liked your prismatic line.
    Thanks! I dunno about the food ones though, they seem kind of off theme on the others, but whatevs.

Prereqs: Not too hard; easy access for the aspiring color-obsessed mage.
    Okay.

Skills: Ahem..? I can't say anything, because I don't have mine up yet.
    Oh shoot! I knew there was something I forgot.

HD: Higher than the usual d4 for caster PrCs, but since you can enter from the Cleric, it would be a step down in that case... besides, it just means an average of +10 HP, which isn't much really.
    Yeah, that was the point. I was trying to keep it halfway between cleric and wizard, and since they get Wield the Rainbow, they need some hit points so they don't just automatically die if they try to fight in melee.

Reading the Rainbow: Nice. Very flavorful. Only problem I can see is that the Spellcraft boost is untyped; all [Light]-loving Incantatrix's love you now; of course, can't judge from the highest, and all that.
    Insight, maybe? Insight seems like the best bonus type, from the ability's fluff.

Chromatic Strength: A non-scaling bonus to CL for one school, and a couple spells outside it? I would feel better if 2nd level lost a CL, instead of 3rd; of course, that's actually just because I LOVE symmetry.
    Not a bad idea, I dare say. Mostly, I was just wanting to keep the caster level loss low so it wouldn't become "take the class until they lose a caster level then ditch it" but I always do that and make the first level without a caster level increase, and I wanted to break the pattern.

Perception Filter: Signature Spell with ALL of the Illusion school? Gnomes now love this class (Ah, Shadowcraft Mage, how you stack with this class!). Might want to tone this down to maybe 1~2 spells/spell level.
    Maybe the illusion spell is one level lower than the spell slot? The main problem was Clerics, who would be kind of screwed if they wanted to use Illusions, since they get like none on their spell list, and the Trickery domain can only go so far, since they already need the Rainbow domain and I don't know of any gods with both Rainbow and Trickery (although I also don't know any with rainbow, but whatever).

Don the Rainbow: Quite nice; of course, putting a range/area of effect for the Mantle's effect would probably be for the best. Also, fix the table; it says " the Rainbow"
    Good point. I will fix 'em.

Eyes of Light: Quite nice; of course, until 10th level, you can lower the See Invisible effect, but you can't raise it again. Fix that, won't you?
    Oh yeah. I saw that when I was writing it, but I figured that anyone would get the intention behind the wording. I will reword.

Wield the Rainbow: Interesting; however, unless you have other spells that increase damage. This assumes you want to take all levels in this class and also get 9th level spells; if not, you can dip more than 1 level of an Initiator class, and thus gain some nice maneuvers. Finally, I hope you are proficient in Longswords... I assume you can produce multiple Rainbow-Swords (for TWF purposes, of course.)
    Oh, good points! I will add some details (the idea was only one longsword, but I will also add something about two shortswords instead [since shortswords are better for two-weapon fighting]).

Master of Variegation: This is really nice; of course, you don't get this feature until you hit level 13~14, and it only helps out a small number of spells; however, everyone would just use this to get an 8, so keep that in mind.
    Oh! Good catch. That was not my intention at all. I will change it so you can only get one result. Thanks.

Taste the Rainbow: I would never use this; I get to heal 7-42 HP, and then can't cast spells for 3 rounds! By the way, Darkness doesn't actually make it dark; use Deeper Darkness instead.
    Hm. Would it be better if I removed the inability to cast? I just love the idea of converting light into healing, both thematically and just because it's awesome. Also, it gains a bonus equal to your caster level, which means it is at minimum 21-54. But yeah, still a good point.

Corona: You might want a note preventing them from using the Natural Sunlight(TM) produced by this ability to trigger the Fast Healing... Unless that was intended.
    Oh, yeah, good point. No, it wasn't intended.

I would suggest that you might want to dial some abilities up or down. Such as Taste the Rainbow.
    Yeah, thanks. I will get to yours tonight, most likely.

[Edit]: All changes incorporated.
    Last edited by unosarta; 2011-08-27 at 10:00 PM.
    Current Project: Campaign Setting

My deviantArt.

Extra fabulous avatar by Serpentine.

My Homebrew

Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Lix Lorn View Post
    NOTHING is simple. NO EXCEPTIONS. No, not even that.