View Single Post

Thread: Why Play a Fighter? (DND/Pathfinder)

1. - Top - End - #270
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Why Play a Fighter? (DND/Pathfinder)

Quote Originally Posted by Lord.Sorasen View Post
    To elaborate, I think the idea of fighter is a flawed one fundementally. The fighter seems to represent a weapons master who fights without the use of the supernatural (in the traditional sense of the word). But D&D is a game that almost always features the supernatural. The fighter can't fight them, and that should be obvious because he has no powers, and in a way not being able magical is a class feature for them. They're normal, that's the schtick that makes people play them over the fixes listed above. They live in a world where magic is everywhere and does everything, but they don't do it themselves. It's going to be weaker: the only way to change that is to modify the very concept. Which is fine, psychic warrior is my 2nd favorite class (next to paladin, which is another story because it definitely needs a fix. Pathfinder's on the right track.) But I can't play the peasant fighter without the magic gift if I'm playing a psychic warrior. So I'll play it as a fighter. It'll be weaker but that was the idea.
    Warblade pulls it off pretty well without a hint of magic to the whole deal. Sure, he won't compete with Druids and Wizards truly letting loose but he'll be just fine with Psychic Warriors and Beguilers.

Though using a magic weapon pretty much comes with the definition. Not the whole Christmas tree but the Excalibur and maybe some legendary piece of armor. Fighter doesn't use magic devices but Fighter's weapon is the hottest thing in the town. I'm sure nobody complains Fighters want their +1 Swords. If they can contribute with those, that's not a strike against the class.
    Last edited by Eldariel; 2011-09-08 at 12:42 AM.
    Campaign Journal: Uncovering the Lost World - A Player's Diary in Low-Magic D&D (Latest Update: 8.3.2014)
    Being Bane: A Guide to Barbarians Cracking Small Men - Ever Been Angry?! Then this is for you!
    SRD Averages - An aggregation of all the key stats of all the monster entries on SRD arranged by CR.