1. - Top - End - #860
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: My Little Pony XXIX: The Spoilers have been DOUBLED!

Good News Everypony!

The #ponythread IRC channel is now online! Below is Jade's handy dandy guide to IRC! And for those who already know how IRC runs, the server and channel information is below the spoiler.

Jade Aurora's Handy Dandy Guide to IRC!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Hi everypony, and welcome! I'm Jade, and I'll be your lovely assistant for this lesson! Not too many ponies are familiar with the Internet Relay Chat protocol, and that's where I'm here to help! For those who don't know, IRC is a chat protocol similar to AIM and MSN, instant messengers we're all familiar with. There's a few things you need to get IRC working, so let's take a look at what they are.

1. IRC Chat Client
    2. Server and Server Information
    3. Channel Name
    4. Brief List of Important Commands

1. IRC Chat Client
    Spoiler
    Show
    So, the first thing you need is a program that can handle IRC. These programs tend to be lightweight, and in some cases can be, or already are integrated into programs you already use every day. For example, do you use the web browser Opera or the Instant Messaging Client Pidgin? Then you already have a program capable of supporting your server. If this is the case, you can skip on down to the next section. If not however, you're gonna need to download one.

Personally, I recommend one such as XChat 2 or mIRC, but it's really not hard to find your own alternative. Just remember, don't be tricked into paying for an IRC client. There are tons upon tons of free options out there.

2. Server and Server Information
    Spoiler
    Show
    Okay, so you've got a program that can run IRC. Now what do you do? Well, first things first you need to do is figure out what server you're going to be connecting to. In our case, you will be connecting to:

irc.sorcery.net
    This is usually pretty simple. It'll be a different process for each separate client, but they all tend to be pretty similar. There's generally a tools tab, followed by an options tab. There will be a field looking for the server to connect to. Type in what's in the quote box above, enter a username (you don't need to register it if you don't want to, that will be covered in section 4), and you're good to go! It should connect to the main page of the Sorcery IRC server. From there, you can go hunting for your channel.

3. Channel Name
    Spoiler
    Show
    This is a pretty simple one. In our case, the channel name is:

#ponythread
    And you know how you join that? Just type into the text box at the bottom of your IRC client "/join #ponythread" and you're in! There's a bit more we can do with chanels though. Say you want to see if there are any other pony related channels in the server. Well, from any window on the Sorcery server, you can type in "/list" to get a list of all of the channels on the server. From there, you can use the "/join" command to join that channel too! Most channels have a # preceding their name, so remember that.

4. Brief List of Important Commands
    Spoiler
    Show
    /msg [NAME] This allows you to send a private message to [NAME].
    /msg NickServ This allows you to send a message to the Nickname Server on the Sorcery IRC network. You can type "/msg NickServ HELP" from any window to get help with your nickname. This includes registering a floating nickname, changing the password on your nickname, and other different commands you can check out from there.
    /list This allows you to see a list of all channels on the current server.

This list will be edited as time goes on, and more commands become pertinent.

IRC Server Information Standalone:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Server: irc.sorcery.net
    Channel: #ponythread
    Last edited by Titanium Fox; 2011-10-25 at 05:28 PM.
    Avatar by DirtyTabs in the Adopt-A-Pony thread.

Thank you all so much for voting!
    Co-Winner of Rainbow Dash in the Playground!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by TheAmishPirate View Post
    For your dedication to ponies and giving us all entertainment with your quote tree o' doom, I hereby award you the Louisianan Purchase. How can I do that? Long story short, let's just say I picked a doozy of a poker game to go "all in".