Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: LGBTAitP - Part 22: The Best There Is

I'm going to to mass spoilers for this:

Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    Spoiler
    Show

You still run into problems there, as if the population is that high to start with, while, yes, one would need to start reproduction, one doesn't want that much of a large perpetual underclass of breeder-slaves, one wants people who can contribute more than just breeding and so you'd either need a larger slave caste including male workers or you'd need to acknowledge that the breeder-slave caste would by necessity have to be phased out once you had enough people to actually have a society.

And if they're mechanized then they have no incentive to keep slaves alive for the purpose of breeding alone and there's no task that you'd want an exclusively female population for aside from breeding but you don't need that high of a population if you have the resources and tech to do robo-cops.

TL;DR
    I feel you need to seriously rethink your premise because it does not seem to hold up very well at all.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Well I didn't really give the backstory more thought then female prison ship crashlands -> fast forward few hundred years go! And then started working from there so I'll freely admit it probably needs a lot of work

Quote Originally Posted by Musashi View Post
    Okay, I understand the situation better (therefore my question WAS kinda stupid). However...

Hope you're aware this is rape.
    Just not traditional rape.
    Yes and that is also why I'm not going into it at all in the story and that is something that just happened in the past.

And I also second Coidzor.
    I can see a misogynist FtM, they certainly exist (after all, my father was Jewish and antisemitic!). I don't really see how one would be allowed with such a job in a progressive society. And I have a really hard time understanding how we could have that weird blend of rampant misogyny and acceptance of trans* people. Plus all the rest.
    Corruption still happens. Family ties, money etc could all buy someone a good position.

EDIT: last thing, but maybe it's just me:
    Honestly, I don't like "repopulation plots" very much. It's almost always considered as the only option. No, you could also decide that it's not worth building a whole society from scratch, and that living your life 'till the end, having children only if you want it, is enough.
    When you decide that repopulating a place is the best solution, unless the whole population somehow agrees on all the specifics, you are going to run into grave issues of sexism, respect of one's body, and others. And I don't like reading these kinds of stories, because I find there's enough of it in real life.
    And that's why this is happening centuries later. Let me state this right now I do not view the Captain as a good man nor do I think that what he did would be the right thing to do I view him as someone that did what he believed needed to be done.

Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    Hardly progressive, they had a segregated military and counted FtMs as women.
    They didn't have a segregated military it was a military prison ship for female prisoners.

Spoiler
    Show

Then you're suffering from a lack of scale if you have a population of tens of thousands of people to start with and you decide to 1. keep a term that would be outdated and stupid even within the first generation let alone the children of that rape by artificial inseminator. Because even if they're not physically raping them personally, they're still forcing them to get pregnant against their will, so it's close enough for most purposes.

The captain has to be sexist for setting up such a society in the first place. Otherwise the most objectionable thing they'd do would incentivize that 10s of thousands of people to willingly reproduce in exchange for commutation of their sentence in favor of letting them be productive members of society. Certainly it's sexist of him to decide that not only are the vast majority of women nothing but breeding slaves, their children, but only the female children, are also to suffer that ignomious and unjust fate.

Further, the fact that he is actually setting up a system that forbids female children from joining the hierarchy of what was a primarily female military structure means he also must be sexist by necessity as well.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Sure then he's sexist. Doesn't really matter though since he's long dead.

Last edited by pffh; 2012-03-25 at 06:48 PM.
    "Elephant trunks should be used for elephant things only. Nothing else."

Thank you Geomancer for the Death avatar.

My lets plays:
    Alien vs Predator: marine chapter - Completed
    Singularity - Canceled