I usually don't discuss the art, but I want to say that that last panel was +10 awesome! Really blew me away.

I don't know what the "Line of Effect" rule is that people are citing, but the description of the spell clearly states that someone has to hear the Holy Word to be subject to it. So it's possible for someone not in a direct line of sight to be affected, since sound will travel around corners.

However, I doubt it will get through that door, since thick steel doesn't couple very well with air. That is, while steel will transmit sound very well, it doesn't pick up sound from air very well. Durkon would have to speak really loudly for it to get through. So Malack and Qarr will probably not be deafened or blinded.

There is an exception to this, which someone mentioned way up-thread. Outsiders will be banished even if they can't hear the Word. They just have to be within the 40ft distance. Malack and Qarr are clearly within that distance. I doubt Qarr will be banished, though. I suspect he has more things to do in the coming battle.