Quote Originally Posted by Nu View Post
If they do this, they should also make it apply for spells imo. Though I suppose that could irritate a lot of 3rd edition fans, but I would much prefer for combat abilities and utilities be in two different categories myself.

And yes, keep the stuff that's 4E-ish utility that actually is mostly for combat in the combat category. Utility stuff should be focused on skills or other things that might happen out of combat (but could still happen in combat).
I'd rather they didn't split up combat and utility. Partly because it can be hard to define what's utility--it's not hard to define combat, because anything can have a combat use given creativity and preparation, but most of the time people try to force noncombat stuff by making it take too long or some other arbitrary distinction, and that takes the fun out of using noncombat stuff in combat. Partly because having them both in the same slots means you can build an entirely-utility character just as much as an entirely-combat character, and that's the kind of caster that tends to get neglected. Partly because I honestly don't trust WotC to do utility magic well; look at how 4e rituals turned out. And partly because the main reason to use Vancian magic at all is to encourage preparation and planning, and deciding how to divvy up combat and utility slots is part of that.