Quote Originally Posted by TheEmerged View Post
I'm currently clocking in a bit over 43000. It's a good thing, because today turned into a "no writing for you" day (the third I've had in the last seven days). Given that I have a Sunday and two vacation days in the home stretch, I'm pretty certain to hit 50k. I'm more worried about finishing the story.

Now, it's my understanding that one of the requirements is that it is a complete story -- you don't have to finish the world, or tie up every loose end, but the story has to be complete. Right now I'm in a good spot, about where I'd hope I'd be at this point. To compare it to Star Wars, the Death Star just arrived in the Alderan system.

Yesterday was my second highest individual word count (3255 vs 4971), but that was cheating for two reasons.

#1> I was working what was a holiday for my job, so I had much more writing time than normal, and

#2> I made use of it to make a semi-forbidden editting pass. I'd gotten to the point I was forgetting whether or not I'd included certain points so a read-through was called for anyway. I kept to my personal rule to limit the editting - in particular, NOT to backfill with the new story elements added this week - but some corrections and points of clarification were called for. For example, I discovered I'd never physically described a couple of second-tier characters (especially one that is about to become a first-tier character).

Tomorrow's writing will include a new info-dump about the world. Up to now I've been oblique about how different/how similar the world is physically & historically to our own. I decided I had time to fill in some blanks here, so I'm going to do so. I'm trying decide whether to again (ab)use the device of "flashback to a class the main shinobi-world character had growing up" or to (ab)use a new "main shinobi-world character has to give a lecture" device.
I just double checked- and there's nothing in the rules saying that your story has to be complete (which is just as well for me, because none of my stories ever have been)