Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
If I may, two things.

Spoiler
Show
First of all, I didn't like this book much. Probably my least favourite of the series. Some scenes were good, even if they never really seemed to get up to the speed of some of the others.
But the reveal about the purpose of faerie? Hell no. That ruined the book for me. I liked the faeries as forces of nature. Undirected, inscrutable, vast and powerful. Not as creation's watchdogs. I liked them destructive and immense and only not destroying the world because they held each other in check. And now they are protecting it? The damn fey have a damn purpose? That's just wrong.

Second, a theory on Molly. Or rather, Charity Carpenter. Charity is either a Sidhe, or, more likely, a Changeling. That is why Molly was a vessel of winter.

Charity already made a few cryptic remarks about having magic herself, and being scared of it. I think there is more than that. She even made Michael's armour out of Titanium, not steel.

Maeve did not say that if she was killed, her Mantle would go to a mortal. She said it would go to a changeling not aware of it's nature. Which i think it did.
Spoiler
Show
Honestly, I'm also disappointed by Faerie having a "purpose," but how I end up feeling about it will depend on how it's developed in the next few books. If the current situation came about because the current powers-that-be overthrew the Fomor way back when, took power, went "Holy crap, no wonder the Fomor forces were less numerous than we thought! This is bad! Uh, okay, you guys whip up a bunch more soldiers pronto, you guys keep an eye on them in case they get uppity, gogogo!" and ended up with the current situation, that's one thing; we already have some examples of organizations like the Wardens (if the Demonreach Wardens theory is correct), the Knights of the Cross, the Fellowship of St. Giles, the Venatori Umbrorum, and similar that are formed in secret to fight threats not many people (even in the supernatural world) know about, so having part of Winter be an anti-Outsider organization under Mab's control would make sense.

If, as some have suggested, it turns out that the entire purpose of all of Faerie was explicitly to be a counter to the Outsiders rather than being, y'know, everything we've been led thus far to believe they are, then I'll be pretty pissed.

Regarding Charity, yeah, the Charity-as-a-changeling theory is one I've had for a while as well, considering the parallels between Meryl's reluctance to give in to her Faerie side and Charity saying she had chosen not to use her magic and then it disappeared. I'm wondering if the theme of Mirror Mirror will be appearances (what Faerie is really up to, who Mac and Charity and maybe Mouse really are, etc.), as that seems like a logical direction to take from here.