View Single Post

Thread: Morph Bark's Homebrew Tier Compendium

1. - Top - End - #443
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Morph Bark's Homebrew Tier Compendium

Quote Originally Posted by Morph Bark View Post
    Haruspex:
    Share Divination, I guess it allows stuff like sharing the "benefits" of a Detect Magic spell so that you can cover an area twice as big (or [insert number of allies] times as big)?

I knew you were about to do that and You knew he was about to do that are nifty. At first I thought "wait, does this allow basically taking a standard action as an immediate action?" Luckily, that isn't the case, because that would've been way powerful. You can basically ready nearly anything, for as far as I know, so it sounds to me like this is perfect for surprise round stuff or initiating a combat out of an ambush.

Just A Dream. Woah, god, that's the big stuff! I'd argue that this couldn't be used if the Haruspex is dead, but if that would be just a dream, that would be a bad argument. I could say it shouldn't be used then, but a level later and further such big things can become common easily. I'd think that the dream would influence the Haruspex' actions though, or at least his composure and how he speaks. Unless he has perfect emotional control and perfect memory of the dream he would most likely not be able to go through the same day up to a certain point, right? Either way, that's just what I think. It's most likely an ability very much up to DM scrutiny, if they'd even play the game at that level (I mean, below 15 it doesn't come in play, so it should be peachy). Also a good idea to limit it to 1/[period of time greater than a day].

Marked: how does a Haruspex Mark someone? It isn't mentioned if it requires an attack roll, what range it has, whether it requires line of sight or line of effect... As written it seems a Haruspex could go "hm, I want to mark the King of Arushabia" and do it. Only the reference to the Scry spell suggests that it works just like Scrying, but it doesn't outright state that it does.

Perfect Divinations: what divination spells have large XP costs attached to them? Or a casting time greater than 10 minutes? I know there are some that require a casting time of 1 or 10 minutes, which doesn't bother me that much, but I'm curious if there are spells with a far greater casting time. (Epic not included.)

Well of Knowledge seems like it should be (Sp) rather than (Ex), since you say spell resistance applies.

Lastly, and most importantly in fact, you never describe their spellcasting. Are they prepared or spontaneous? I am only presuming they know all spells on their list (if they are spontaneous that is), since there is no "spells known" table, and I know Int is their spellcasting stat since you mention it under "Abilities".

Soul Devourer:
    There is a description for Ebon Blade, but no mention of what happens to it at level 20, while it shows on the table at that level.

I like how some invocations have a cooldown. Nitpick: the Dispel Magic Lesser Necromantic Invocation has a [ in front of it. Death's Messenger Least Invocation has a typo (life instead of lift).

I'd bold "Plague Essence Invocations" to stand out more as a header.

Gaze of the Vampire duplicating Charm Monster, isn't that too much at that level? That's the same level as the official Charm Person invocation.

Haruspex:
    First off one of the main reason for Shared Divination is for things like True Strike. It gives the Haruspex some use of a few of divination's self buffs that would really help him otherwise.

Yes I knew you were about to do that is pretty strong. I am actually a bit concerned about it in a gestalt but I don't think its that big of an issue.

Just a Dream. Yaaa that one is really good. I put it in mostly as a 1/week save game trick from Psionics. It personally feels like an ability an incredibly powerful diviner would have. Uncontrollable visions about his own death so he can avoid them.

Marked. Fair point its supposed to be within line of sight and line of effect. I will also note that it has verbal components. The point of the ability isn't so that you can mark a creature on the other side of the planet but if you walk up or see the king you could spend the full round action and scry him easier later that day or week. I also added a way to remove the mark.

Perfect Divinations: Legend Lore, Hindsight, Scrying, Divination, I am sure there are a couple more, most of them are out of combat so I figured this wouldn't overpower anything anyway.

Well of Knowledge should be SP.

Spellcasting. DOH! Okay I should of noticed that... They are spontaneously intelligence based casters I will add that. They cast like beguilers and dread necromancers essentially. I added that clause

Soul Devourer:
    Right at level 20 you deal 2 negative levels per hit. Not sure how that wasn't in there.

I thought the charm person invocation duplicated charm monster not person. Thats changed now.

Thank you for the formatting issues.
    Last edited by Silva Stormrage; 2012-12-16 at 03:19 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hazuki View Post
    ...Silva, you are a scary person.
    Awesome Avatar by Derjuin

My Homebrew: Here
    The Necromantic Codex: A collection of necromancy classes, items and monsters.