Quote Originally Posted by Anlashok View Post
Naw. Stuff like that is workable. The big trouble comes when a DM changes the way a character's stuff works without the character knowing. Say you have a DM who thinks fireball is too good and nerfs it, but never tells his player who builds a fire sorcerer, only to find out at level 6 that his signature spell is suddenly really terrible.
So your talking about Jerk DM's. The ones that in the middle of the game make fireballs damage 1d2, just to personalty attack the player of a fire sorcerer character.

Quote Originally Posted by Svata View Post
Jedipotter, if you're trying to make things mysterious, the mystery shouldn't be what is happening, but rather why is this thing happening. And the players should be able to figure it out, eventually.
How is what and why so different? And players try to discover the secret rules all the time, it's part of the fun.

[QUOTE=eggynack;18030495]I didn't say secret setting rules at all. I said secrets not attached to the rules at all. Secrets like, "Who killed this guy?" or, "What's up with this set of mysterious tablets?"

Quote Originally Posted by eggynack View Post
Leaving aside the ridiculous loaded language, he could easily be going all out. He's an anti-undead character, built from the ground up to be awesome at that stuff.
Most players won't go all out unless they have the safe go ahead from the DM. And even if this happened in my game...I could just switch from undead to anything else with no problem. Mine would never be an ''offical told the players it would be all undead'' type game.

and if you want to build a game angled towards randomness, mystery, and fun, then you should tell your players that also. Just, whatever thing needs to be transparent, make that thing transparent, because transparency is a really useful thing.
Ok, it's not like I don't say that. So....

I don't see how it's possible that there aren't enough rules in the game already. Seriously, there's a ridiculous number of the things spread across innumerable source books.
Sure, there are just not many with enough flavor.

If you control both sides of the engagement, then why even have players there at all?
Only the hyper controlling player with lots of deep personal problems would say my house rules ''control a character''. It's not like ''sometimes your summoning spells will miss summon'' equals ''your character is now under my control and you will do this''.