Quote Originally Posted by CoffeeIncluded View Post
Water from both the broken samples and the thief's own sweat have smeared most of the ink, and what's present is cryptic (there isn't an author either, of course), but Artorias is able to glean some information. It appears to be a contract of sorts, instructions to steal something--the water samples, Artorias suddenly realizes, and a promise of payment upon delivery or destruction of the samples to...some place. The address is smeared beyond legibility and Artorias gets the sense that it would have been a generic nondescript location anyway. The letter also makes a mention of loaning a chain shirt to the thief.

But one thing is clear: Someone hired this thief.
Artorias narrows his eyes "You know, I was planning on taking you to the guard and let them deal with you, but this" he brandishes the damp note in front of the halfling thief's face "made me change my mind." Artorias sends Cyaran a message through their empathic link "find rest of pack". Cyaran gives a soft cry of understanding and takes to the skies with the intent of finding the rest of the flock.

Spoiler
Show

Artorias is trying to regroup, ideally with Badger first, she is our best interrogator (probably the only one)