View Single Post

Thread: How do you measure the worth of a man?

1. - Top - End - #9
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: How do you measure the worth of a man?

Quote Originally Posted by Grinner View Post
    Yes, I suspect we're seeing that very phenomenon transpire before our eyes.

The Pyramids served their purpose. They were a means to an end. From what I understand, ancient Egyptian culture had an understanding that a man's power in the afterlife was built upon how well he was remembered in the present. To that end, monuments were built to mark their greatness.

For us, they serve an entirely different purpose and present a different value. For us, these monuments provide a window into the past.

In light of this, I will concede that what happens has a much greater impact, but to the individual, who tends to be innately selfish, I suspect he doesn't give a whit about the long-term effects. He cares only about how that serves him.

Also, motives will inform what happens. It's just cause and effect.
    Motives inform what happens, but since there are many ways to achieve the same effects, that actually doesn't matter. Egypt's pyramids reminded the pharaohs' subjects of the state's power while instilling them with a sense of pride founded in that same power, and that was a very real effect on an entire society. The fact that it came about because a few guys wanted to have sweet digs in the afterlife doesn't matter.
    Last edited by Flickerdart; 2015-04-15 at 10:25 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting