I still play it at my gaming table. One of the major advantages it has versus 3.5 is the ease of character creation and, more importantly, ease of levelling up. You can level up right at the gaming table and just keep going, which is pretty unique among gaming systems. Notate the skill bumps, the magic item slot, the ability unlock, and the various other numerical bumps. Takes maybe five minutes, particularly if you already have the entire tracks laid out ahead of time so you just select which one just went 'live'. I actually had to rule that you can't level up in the middle of a scene because it is just that easy.

I've never had any particular difficulty in making enemies for my players to face. Mooks and Myriads fill out the roster, with an occasional ability tacked on for customization purposes. For example, a 'displacer beast' might have that ability from the Acrobatics track that gives you the ability to negate an attack with a reflex save once per encounter, but otherwise statted out as a Mook. Only sentient beings actually got the opportunity to have one (or more) tracks appended, as per rules for more advanced Mooks. Dispelling became much more important when the wave of mooks ended up with one in the middle that had Bastion that the one in the far back with Shaman casting hit with a targeted buff. Two mooks with a single track each, the rest just base mooks. Then the players understood that hitting the buff with a dispel drops it for ALL the mooks and their grumbles died down rapidly and they quickly realized how important having a source of Dispelling can be. Then I used that same tactic against the party, once they had figured it out. Meanwhile, popcorn, chips, and dice flew across the table at various periods of time, and fun was had by all.

For those who have not, I strongly urge you to download the PhB and play around with it. Sure, it's not perfect. But it is, in my personal opinion, what 4e should have been.