Quote Originally Posted by Gnoman View Post
I've been doing a reread of the series, and it is amazing how many things I didn't catch the first four times I read it.

For example:
Spoiler
Show
It wasn't until this readthrough that I realized the full reason Aeil hate the Tinkers - previously I thought it was just because the Tinkers held to the Way Of The Leaf when the Aiel abandoned it, reminding the early Aiel of the vows they had broken. I somehow didn't catch that the Tinkers were descended from the first branching of the Aiel, when a large portion of the Aiel broke their vow to preserve the Aes Sedai artefacts and went off hunting the old songs. I also just now realized this is probably why the Aiel only sing battle-songs once they grow up.
Speaking of them,
Spoiler
Show
the last time I remember reading about them was when perrin was trying to convince them of something, i forget what, but it was a violation of their beliefs in an attempt to help them survive I think. Iirc, it was described as amazing that even a taveren could manage to make them hesitate and be tempted to listen but they ultimately refused. Did "the song" or whatever it was they were looking for ever get found? What happened to them by the end of the series?