View Single Post

Thread: "Sis Puella Magica!" translation

1. - Top - End - #7
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: "Sis Puella Magica!" translation

Quote Originally Posted by Vinyadan View Post
    I'd be curious to hear that argument or to get a link to it, given that Italian has indicative, subjunctive, conditional, imperative. Maybe the English meaning of mood is different from the one I use (mine would actually also include infinite, gerundium, participles).
    It doesn't make a sweeping statement of all the Romance and Germanic languages, a position I may have mistakenly represented in my last post. The argument is in the opening article of "Moods in the Languages of Europe" edited by Björn Rothstein and Rolf Thieroff. You can find a Google preview here, but it's unfortunately missing some pages. It basically boils down to analysis of tense vs. mood, placing conditional as a tense (past future, basically). It is suggested that imperative could be analysed as a sentence type akin to declaratives and interrogatives. I misremembered; it only lists Germanic languages as being in the process losing subjunctive and thus becoming technically moodless. As always in the field, it's mostly a matter of definitions though.
    Last edited by Eldariel; 2016-04-20 at 05:26 AM.
    Campaign Journal: Uncovering the Lost World - A Player's Diary in Low-Magic D&D (Latest Update: 8.3.2014)
    Being Bane: A Guide to Barbarians Cracking Small Men - Ever Been Angry?! Then this is for you!
    SRD Averages - An aggregation of all the key stats of all the monster entries on SRD arranged by CR.