Somebody put it down int he comments and I kinda agree with them, this seems like it might also be another setup in the "things are more complicated than black and white allison" series of events to try and make her more aware of that. Ok, first off, I dont know the name of the guy who mows my lawn. I know the name of his boss because thats who I pay. If I didnt pay the boss, its doubtful I would know HIS name either as I wouldnt be handling any of that stuff and would have no reason to bother people who are there to work with idle conversation. Secondly, overtime. Not everyone gets paid overtime. It sucks but its true. So long as their day wages are sufficient enough for them to not want to complain then there is really no reason to get too offended on their behalf. Under the table is kinda illegal I believe because its avoiding paying taxes, but it also means thats all cash in hand for the employee, so long as your boss doesnt cheat you. I have worked under the table jobs before, some turned out ok, some not. As for working "late" whats the weather like right now? I cant even go outside for a walk during the mid morning to late afternoon hours its so hot and muggy. Working in a well lit garden area at night could easily be how they avoid frigging heat stroke.

Im not saying this is how it will play out, but I AM saying I can see it happening. Its been a kind of running theme of the comic that allison sees everything in good or bad a or b and then has the vast array of grey shades shoved in her face to try and teach her thats how the real world work.