Viewing any sort of emotion as weakness is beyond absurd. Emotions are the very foundation of human existence and indeed our cognition. For instance, our memory system is inexorably linked to emotions; we recall things best in the same emotional state as where we first experienced them for instance (hence why the current procedures for acquiring eye witness testimony involve reproducing the scene in as much detail as possible). Similarly, what mental links and what thoughts we can acquire depends on our emotions. Emotions produce our drive and ability to act and do things. Emotions are also intrinsically linked to the production and appreciation of art in its infinite manifestations - something that's at the very core of life and could be argued to be the only real plausible purpose to our existence (essentially what Nietzsche concluded, anyways). And there's the whole mirror neuron thing; we broadcast and copy others' emotions so our own emotional state has a direct influence on everybody around us and it's at the very heart of every kind of social interaction. This, of course, makes influencing and accepting our own emotions the heart of such actions.

Now then, whether one can rank emotions is a different matter. I don't even find the hard categorizations very useful; whenever I hear someone state their emotion in a clear, simple word, that just seems excessively simplified to me. I usually find myself experiencing a couple of different emotions at least at any given time at varying intensities and if I really delve into it, they're a lot more nuanced than those surface labels we try to communicate them with. I doubt I'm in any way special in this regard. Either way, every emotional extreme has a purpose and a function - and mostly they can be harnessed, experienced or opposed. Of course, given the state where our emotions developed vs. the current world and the abilities of our cognition, they often come up outside their intended function and in this case it comes back to consciously influencing our emotional state and finding the one to suit a given situation. I wouldn't say there's anything wrong with the emotions themselves or that we should seek to eliminate certain ones entirely, it's just that our body has certain triggers that will launch them at inopportune times (the most typical example being the fight-or-flight response in a stressful problemsolving scenario, such as a door jamming on you with you locked inside).

Of course, controlling our emotions begins from physiology (hence why meditation generally begins from rhythmic breathing and ways to acquire a balanced physical state - decent, if superficial video on the topic), so to accomplish influencing our emotions we're really just influencing our body, which influences our emotions. But yeah, consciously harnessed emotions for problemsolving combined with free emotions at when needed (such as when empathizing with somebody - that's pretty much a requirement) is probably the ideal state.