View Single Post

Thread: Further Adventures in New Ganthar (IC)

1. - Top - End - #144
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Default Re: Further Adventures in New Ganthar (IC)

Spoiler: Yara
    Show
    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Yes, reroll health please.

The soldier, looking terrified and clearly not convinced the demon is gone, holds the spear pointed at you with shaking hands.

"Stay where you are! Oh gods... I... I place you under arrest in the name of the Crown. You will surrender your weapons and come quietly."

He looks around, wide-eyed, clearly conscious he has no allies, no support, no one to send for help.

For the moment, you focus on Michel's last actions - the pouch at his waist. Looking inside, you find a hastily written note addressed to Theo, and a second addressed to you.

Spoiler: The note to Yara
    Show
    Yara

If you are reading this, I am probably dead.

Know that I go to my death willingly, knowing what awaits me beyond this world - and what awaits me if I survive. I do not court death, but I know it is a possibility. It is a price I am willing to pay, for your soul.

I enclose a note to Theo which explains more - I have no time to repeat myself - but know this. All your life you have been lied to, used for the purposes of evil beings. Your past is a darkness not of your making - but the future is yours to choose.

Redemption is real, and within your grasp. If I have died, it is so that you can seize that chance - perhaps your last.

Charis bless you, child. Farewell.

Michel.

Spoiler: The note to Theo (if you open it)
    Show
    Theo

Our Goddess has answered my prayers, and granted me a day of clarity, free of this foul senility. That being so, let me put pen to paper and say some final words to you - because, one way or another, the man I have been will not exist after today.

I have been shown many things, Theo, but I want to tell you about just three of them, for time is short.

First, I go now to confront Yara and the demon within her. Charis tells me that the demon convinced Yara to give it full control, that it used that control to commit various atrocities. Matters have passed the point where I am prepared to wait patiently for her to choose to be free.

The demon is closely linked to her, so that I cannot expel it without killing her - but Charis tells me that, if it senses Yara is on the brink of death, it will flee her body into the closest available host - for otherwise it dies with her.

I believe I can overcome the demon if it tries to possess me - but, if that fails, I will not let it escape me, or control me.

Know that I believe in Yara - that she can, and will, turn from this dark path. I am willing to die for that belief. I ask you to give her that chance.

Which brings me to the second matter: why I write to you. You are our Lady's Champion, of whom the Lost Prophecies of Aenar spoke - but, more than any prophecy, I have seen who you are. Your character, your courage and integrity, are what this Temple so desperately needs. You are the one I hope will take up my yoke, now that I can no longer bear it. I would offer advice, but you do not need it: be who you are, seek the will of Charis, and you will succeed.

As to the third matter - the last - Charis has let me glimpse what lies ahead in the next few days. I don't wholly understand what She has shown me, but I know that the Daughter is going to rise again. You must save Her. And you're going to need help.

No more time - Yara is outside. Goddess be with you, Theo.

May She bless you and watch over you always.

Michel

Spoiler: Theo
    Show
    The blast of light strikes home over Lydia's shoulder, hitting the death knight's faceplate. Although a corona of crimson light shows that this foe is warded against magic, your Charis-given power is strong enough to cut through those defences, drawing a cry of surprise and pain from a being who thought himself immortal.

The undead warrior is not down - not yet - but he is clearly injured enough to give him pause.

Yet it is only a moment's pause, as Nagor strikes at Lydia twice with his two-handed sword; yet perhaps your attack has spoilt his vision, for both are evaded easily enough by the spell-slinging warrior.

The Lifewardens rush up the stairs after their fallen leader, raising their holy symbols and seeking to drive the vampires back. Sadly, their faith proves wanting; one vampires turns its foul attentions to Eldan, drawing heat and life from his body with a caress, while the other two attack the Lifewardens with open-handed ferocity.

Althazar focuses on the enemy mages, snapping off a spell and raising his hands. A sphere of intense, crackling lightning five feet in diameter flashes into being in front of him, then leaps forward to swallow up one of the mages with a sizzling sound.

Lothrain grimaces at you. "Relate knows I'm a warrior, not a healer," he mutters. Placing a hand on your shoulder, he prays, "Mighty Sword of the Righteous, heal this bravery soldier, that he might fight on for your cause!"

Spoiler: Cure Critical Wounds
    Show
    35 hp healed

He smiles wolfishly, then turns to menace one of the mages.

The mage in question steps back, looking alarmed, and hisses a spell that sends a ray of dark energy at Lothrain. The ray strikes him full in the chest, and some of the indomitable strength visibly seeps out of him.

The other mage looks at Althazar, lashing out with a spell of his own - but whatever it is, it fizzles into failure.