Quote Originally Posted by lord_khaine View Post
The press is firmly under the thumb of the WG. I doubt it will ever be allowed to report that anyone broke out from Impel Down, or that someone could get away with declaring the WG war.
Wasnt the breakout exposed pretty publicly during marineford? I mean, all of a sudden you had another hundred random pirates show up, most of whom were in black and white striped PRISON outfits. And at least a few of them HAD to be known to be locked up in impel down at the time. And considering they had cameras everywhere specifically to use the execution as a publicity stunt word had to have gotten out about that much at least.

But other than that, heh, I wonder if the average person ever questions bounties then. I mean, luffy shot up from a 30 mil nobody to 300 mill pretty quickly. You would think at least some random people would wonder why since they never hear about him doing anything. I also cant help but wonder what this means long term for the series. As you said, the WG sits on the press very harshly and spreads its own version of events. But luffy is making waves in a LOT of places, where they quickly discover for themselves just how full of garbage the press is when they see luffys victory given to random marine officers instead. What happens when a half dozen kingdoms get together and go, "Hey, we all got saved by the same guy the military is lying about."