Point of order, he didnt get stabbed int he chest, HAKU took the chest stab for him. His arms were mangled by the dog summons though. Speaking of nails, pein almost executed kakashi with a roofing nail. Without mangekyo hax he would have been murdered by carpentry gear. And wouldnt THAT have been an embarrassing way to die? Here he is, in ninja valhalla, sharing tales with his fellow warriors who died in battle.

Gais dad "Yeah I took on all 7 of the swordsmen of the mist to get my son time to escape. Opened all the gates and held those punks off even as a genin. How about you kakashi? I always knew you would do great things."

Kakashi "Uhh, I got murdered by a nail"

Gais dad "You mean some crazy ninja technique where they sharpen their nails to cut through concrete?"

Kakashi "Uh no, just a roofing nail. The bad guy hurled it into my heart while I was stuck in some rubble."

Gais dad "Oh... ummm well anyways, I heard my son stopped by for a visit before some kid with the 6 path powers saved him. Turns out he nearly died punching a black hole into undead madera uchihas torso."

Kakashi "Oh shut up."